Dings and dents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dings and dents

I'm curious what the laws are when someone hits your car in a parking lot.

Assuming you have proof...

My car goes into the body shop in Feb to get hail damage and city decor
    repaired.

I'm curious what the laws are if you have video of the perp.

This idea came to me during the holiday when I went to Coborns for 5
    minutes and came out to see a huge scratch on my driver side fender.

It's so rude and really expensive to fix. I've never scratched anyones car
    without leaving a note and I find it unbelievable that someone can do it. So
    I want to protect my investment. I also want to protect myself in case of a
    accident since people around here seem attracted to my car. Curse white
    cars and snow I guess but I tend to lean toward arrogant asshats who can't
    pay attention while they drive. It's also mostly truck drivers... Yeah so you
    are safe but the person in a car isn't... I'd gladly face off in my 73' GMC
    against your POS 2k F150 but an alero... nah, pass.

So my plans are to setup two Atom DC boxes. One to capture motion around
    my car and one to report those images to a VPS via verizon G3. I also want
    to report GPS coordinates (which I fully know how to do I'm just saying my
    plans.) Another advantage is people steal all the time. My truck has been
    broke into before. Those $40.00 6x9's are super awesome and totally worth
    going to jail.

Back to subject, I'm more curious about the laws. I'm not sure where to
    look so I'd welcome some advice. If you report it to the cops, are they
    going to help get insurance information or do you have to take alternative
    actions?

If your advice is to not fret about scratches and whatnot, please don't
    respond. It happens way too often and I get truely annoyed. So if I have
    to drop 2k into this to keep my car scratch free, I will. It's better than
    dropping 2k a year to keep it scratch free.

i know this all too well...

just yesterday in the wal-mart parking lot, the dumbass pushing the carts around was knocking the shit out of the car parked in front of me...

as far as video: i'm not sure what state you're in, but i would at least attempt to get video though it may be dismissed in court. or at least it did when my dad got video of someone cutting the brake lines in his truck.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      i know this all too well...

just yesterday in the wal-mart parking lot, the dumbass pushing the carts around was knocking the shit out of the car parked in front of me...

as far as video: i'm not sure what state you're in, but i would at least attempt to get video though it may be dismissed in court. or at least it did when my dad got video of someone cutting the brake lines in his truck.
      Now THAT is a bunch of crap and that judge should be fired! How about going out and getting a video of yourself cutting the judges brake lines and see what happens to you? Do you think it would get the same outcome? I would have asked him that right there in court. How on earth can they dismiss camera footage? The camera doesn't lie!

nixtux, I would call your local police. Maybe you can press charges or something. Either way they should be able to help point you in a good direction to go with this.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

When I go somewhere, Im always that guy that parks far away from everyone else. and yet somehow, some asshole always parks next to me and theres a new ding in my car...
        sigpic
        1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
        1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
        350/NV3500 5spd
        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
          When I go somewhere, Im always that guy that parks far away from everyone else. and yet somehow, some asshole always parks next to me and theres a new ding in my car...
          Exactly! I never park close. I alway distance myself at least 5 cars from
          people. I don't get it.

My 1995 Cutlass was perfect until I moved to Saint Cloud. Less than
          3 months after I had white, red, black, ect marks on it.

The only thing I had left was the car didn't have any accident damage or
          rust because I actually washed and waxed it. That's a awesome feat in MN
          IMO. It's not a hard thing to do though. Just wash your car and put a coat
          of wax on every now and then.

Comment

The way that Video can get thrown out in court is if the Video is taken on Private property (Not your property but your works or a Chain store) You would need to have express written consent from the property owner prior to the video being shot. (at least that is how it is in AZ) I am planning on installing a Cam in front of my Front door. I need to get permission to record anything from my neighbors if the camera even catches a blade of grass in their front yard for it to be admisssable in court

Comment

Originally posted by Charless1 View Post
              The way that Video can get thrown out in court is if the Video is taken on Private property (Not your property but your works or a Chain store) You would need to have express written consent from the property owner prior to the video being shot. (at least that is how it is in AZ) I am planning on installing a Cam in front of my Front door. I need to get permission to record anything from my neighbors if the camera even catches a blade of grass in their front yard for it to be admisssable in court
              that might have done it, actually, if michigan is the same. my dad has a LOT of property, but the line of sight from where the camera was and where it was pointed probably caught a few of the neighbor's yards as well.

but this isn't about me...
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I am giving this info to help nixtux understand that even video taping the act of aggression on his machine may be inadmissible in a court of law

Comment

You know, that really is ignorant. Who cares if it caught 3 blades of your neighbors grass. What if it were someone getting murdered in your front yard? A crime caught on tape is a crime caught on tape- bottom line. I don't see how the system can be so stupid and blind like this towards the people that pay the judges salary... You all know just as I do if they caught you on tape with their camera, we would hang to the fullest extent of the law no matter who's grass was in the footage...
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I am giving this info to help nixtux understand that even video taping the act of aggression on his machine may be inadmissible in a court of law
                    Very true. At least I'll know what vehicle I need to find and ram with my
                    truck. Mostly kidding... But if I saw them running a red light I'd punch it!
                    You cannot hurt a 73' GMC.

I think it may be more relevant insurance to insurance if the law won't do
                    anything about it.

I'm mainly looking to protect against door hits and theft. It really sucks
                    when someone jacks your shit and breaks windows. It's nice when you
                    catch them and the cops come but when they are drunk you feel bad
                    pressing charges so you agree to send them to detox.

I was at the shop that's doing the motor swap on my Alero. I help them
                    with their computers and their shop surveillance. The mechanics wife
                    said that parking lots are often owned by someone else. But if you push
                    legal to them they will cover the cost for repairs. She also mentioned other
                    scams where people will hit their brakes on off-ramps to try and get a
                    settlement... But insurance companies flag repeat offenders so that's pretty
                    cool. But be careful I guess and I normally am. I hate people riding my
                    ass. It's nice having a car I could give two shits about if the tranny burns
                    up. I drop it to 2nd and 1st all the time on those fuckers!

I think Minnesota is pretty liberal about these things. I know with voice it's
                    a one party law and typically video is more lax. So I suspect that having the
                    evidence would at least cover the repair. That's all I care about. The car
                    has 223,000 on it and lots of city decor, rust, and even hail damage. Getting
                    all that fixed is insane! But it'll be sharp as a tact when it's done. I'm
                    really excited just to drive it with the 3.5l in it. It's a snappy girl. But
                    I came across a Ford SHO today that put me in my place. However, that's
                    a stock 3.4l with 223k so...

Thanks for all the good information. It gives me an ideal what to expect.
                    I'm 50/50 on all this but that's all you can really hope for.

Comment

That's state to state. There was a case where a traffic stop was caught on
                      tape and the cops were at fault but it was dismissed because the video had
                      audio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's retarded... If you harm someones property, pay for it or have your
                      insurance pay for it. If you are in a hurry or the person doesn't come
                      around leave a note on their wiper and check back. At least check back
                      if it's on private property...

I had a case where it was -40F. My truck is a carb and electric choke.
                      The guy was half in the ally and I tried to drive passed him but my choke
                      clicked in and slide sideways for a second and scratched a grand am.

I knocked on the guys door, left a note, and even returned. I took pictures
                      that same day showing the damage and his super awesome park job. The
                      end result was a $100.00... Hell ya... But I was honest at least. I barely
                      grazed the car and I had more damage anyway and it was technically his
                      fault. But I didn't want any increase in insurance. I got 9 points when
                      you was 19 and they have raped me since! The points are gone now so
                      insurance is pretty cheap but it's still annoying. Plus progressive is
                      a joke.
                      Last edited by nixtux; 01-10-2010, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X