Fun With Magnets and Non-Magnets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Magnets and Non-Magnets...

We all know from experience that magnetism is largely reactive and effective in the purview of ferrous metals such as iron and steel, which is just iron mixed with pure carbon. It follows that non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper are not ordinarily magnet attractive metals... but due to some interesting properties of powerful magnetic fields, they can produce some interesting electro-mechanical actions that are both puzzling and fascinating to observe.

Here is an example of one phenomena called "Lenz's Law" and the effects of magnetic eddy currents interacting between a powerful neodymium magnet and a thick-walled chunk of copper pipe:

New fat copper pipe with big magnet:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMpUaoA3Tg

Likewise... (and this one might be worth a decent bet at the bar for drinks all around among a group of erudite friends ) ... this empty aluminum can is also non- reactive with a magnet... until you do something like this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And in this case...levitation (anti-gravity...limited)

Making a Neodymium magnet float over a large block of copper by using the pull of another magnet. This works better that using aluminum because copper slows...

"Magnets... God's way of f*cking with our minds..."
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM.

They use this principal for brakes on land speed record cars. Normal brakes would simply melt.

A friend at work has a couple of small neodymium magnets they are amazingly strong for their size.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I wondered what kind of electrical charges can be made if the combustion chamber was lined with copper (behind the standard material) and a strong magnet in the piston. Suppose each piston can supply the electrical charge needed to drive the coil/spark plugs.

It would not be free energy since the resistance will equal electrical charges but the efficiency may be greater then that of an alternator.

Another really cool phenomenon is this.....

Ferrofluids

More

How to make Ferrofluid

I wonder what would happen if magnetized ferrofluid was poured down the center of a copper tube. I believe it would form the magnetic structure responsible for the action, but that could be weird looking.

LINK This guy does some interesting things with a plasma ball, into the video he shows standing longitudinal waves exist.
      Last edited by TGP37; 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Ferrofluid is used in the shocks of some Corvettes as dampening fluid. They energize an electromagnet to make the fluid thicker for stiffer shocks.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          Ferrofluid is used in the shocks of some Corvettes as dampening fluid. They energize an electromagnet to make the fluid thicker for stiffer shocks.
          If there was a way to magnetize oil, that could be really sweet for journal bearings. Just wind a coil around the exterior of the bearing (easier said then done). It will make the oil bond to the bearing and depending on the field strength, shape, frequency it could be tweeked just right to make a real slick surface. Especially if the journal could have one polarity and the camshaft (or other) could be the opposite polarity, the mag lines would encourage oil bond between the friction surface. Making for more room between the two surfaces to be machined, less friction.
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Dependent upon belief I prefer this

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
            "Magnets... Science's way of f*cking with our minds..."

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I want to pour magnetized ferrofluid through a copper pipe and see how it reacts. Hoping it would slow down like the magnet but also reveal a pattern or some reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                They use this principal for brakes on land speed record cars. Normal brakes would simply melt.

"A friend at work has a couple of small neodymium magnets they are amazingly strong for their size."
                Geoff...

Your input on this has been percolating inside my coconut of late and so today... the light bulb finally went off and prompted me to think about, design and build this "device":

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

(Achtung...Wiktor !!!..You MUZT contwol your natural impulzes and wefrain frum using Ze "EFF" Verd...!!!...You KNOW vut hepenz here.... You muzt not vound ze zensitive zensibilities uf Herr Doktor Pink...REMEMBER ZISS!!! Frum now unn...Instead...you Muzt call vutever you ar verking on zat is NEW..."Ze Gedget"...)
                Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-05-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

ya know what, get me the info on building a hover board, all i know is that i need to use super cooled magnets, pretty much magnets with something to cause cooling liquid nitrogen plumbed through them.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                    ya know what, get me the info on building a hover board, all i know is that i need to use super cooled magnets, pretty much magnets with something to cause cooling liquid nitrogen plumbed through them.
                    Bob...

I do like your thinking and imagination on the subject of magnetism. The only problem is...is that one little issue that made Einstein's hair go frizzy, lose sleep and give him "Nachtmares" from what he imagined would be a kind one-over-the-universe "Unified Theory" of matter, energy and the space in which they exist. He and others like Neils Bohr worked out the ideas behind The Big Four... which are, as we all know, these:

1. Gravity: Weak but pervasive and universal throughout the Universe. Gravity tell space how to bend...and matter how to move in it. The larger the mass (not volume) of an object, the more it tends to bend, flex and warp the space around it. When Einstein realised that all objects in free-fall have no gravitational field he said, "This is the happiest moment of my life!". The Astronaut John Young proved this when he dropped an Eagle feather and a hammer and they both impacted the surface of the Moon at the same time. The mass of an object in free-fall makes absolutely no difference because... falling objects take their moving orders from the space around them rather than from any massive objects they are plummeting towards,

2. Electromagnetism: This is a fairly strong dynamic group of energetic forces which include electricity and magnetism. However... they only act quite locally and have the tendency to zig and zag and do what they want. For example: Lightning. Your hover-board concept makes sense...but the only problem is that earth's magnetic field isn't strong enough to overcome the warped space the earth makes by being 25,000 miles in diameter. When you see a tiny object made out of a super-conductor like say...Cupric Oxide...floating endlessly inside of a super-cooled electrified magnetic field coil...the reason it works that way is that the magnetic forces are locally persistent and quite strong enough to resist the long reaching but very weak gravitational pull of the earth.

3. Weak Nuclear Force: This puppy is the one that allows naturally unstable and radioactive objects made of say...Uranium ...to decay... losing their sub-atomic particles at nearly the speed of light. I can clearly see this effect in low light combat shooting situations from the green glow that emanates from inside the three tiny cylinders inside the Tritium Gas capsules making up the sites on my Glock 19. The same effect happens when you look at your watch face to discern the time at 3 AM... the photons exploding away from the Phosphorous paint on the numbers allows this to happen.

4. Strong Nuclear Force: This is the one that prompted Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer to quote a line from the Hindu Sanskrit poem in the Baghavad Ghita when Vishnu raises her many arms, demonstrating her extreme anger at the Prince. While admonishing to do his duty, she says, "Now... I am become Death... The Destroyer of Worlds". He was of course, reflecting upon the first appearance on the earth since its creation of a "Mini-Sun" and the horror that will follow the release of all the energy contained inside an object the mere size of a high school softball but having the power or 20 million tons of Tri-Nitro-Toluene: The Atomic Bombs that fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki tell this tale of woe only to well that when the Atomic Genie is let out of the bottle... All Hell breaks loose. This is the force that gives all matter the ability to stay together in well defined elements because inside the nucleus of most stable atoms, there is some kind of incredibly strong nuclear "glue" that binds all those sub-atomic particles together; the protons, neutrons and electrons, tightly enough to make it almost impossible for them under ordinary conditions to come apart..

So far... besides "String Theory"...in the absence of any scientific means of testing any new hypotheses... The Unified Theory of Everything that Einstein craved knowing as "The Mind of God" remains elusive. Until someone comes up with a controllable way to knit these odd forces together inside an electro-mechanical machine... then I'm afraid that Dr. M. Emmet Brown's "Mr. Fusion" powered S/S De Lorean and Marty's Magnetic Hovering Skate board will remain the stuff of Steven Spielberg's imagination ...and yours ,,,and mine... too. Rather than "Back to the Future"...I guess sadly it means we must all go, "Back to the Drawing Board..."
                    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-06-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Did you over-think his question? It sounds like he wanted a James-Bond league rink of some super-conductor, like YBCO with a vat of liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. Then he can just glide over it with a magnetic skateboard demonstrating the Meissner effect.

Now the space shuttle was one hella-big tank of liquid hydrogen so he ought to be able to get a small business grant from the guv-ment to build a liquid nitrogen-super-conducting rink. Nevermind that ice skates are the low-tech answer.

Comment

I love this kind of stuff.

I have my own theory that disproves how distant universes are travelling away from us at a faster rate the further out they are. Simple, red shifting of the electromagnetic spectrum. We know light is bent when passing by a strong gravitic source. We can conclude light interacts with gravity. But light is both a particle AND a wave. And as light passes through gravitic fields present from infinite amounts of sources, the light loses it's energy. But it remains at it's speed of light. What happens is the wave form is stretched out due to loss of energy.

Currently, science believes this red shift indicated the speed of travel. I believe it is just light lossing energy from passing through billions of light years lengths of gravity from various objects.

This theory also disproves the Big Bang as the universe is stable 3 dimensionally. The universes creation was extra-dimensional, imho.

But, back to the magnetism conversation.................................There are 7 BASIC naturally occurring metals. I believe there are 7 BASIC natural forces as well.

Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead, Tin, Iron & Mercury (there are others but for some reason these 7 stick out, I forget why)

Each metal is the physical representation of a natural force. Which means there are 3 basic forces we have yet to discover.
                        Last edited by TGP37; 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I like pie (and cake...)
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                            I love this kind of stuff.

I have my own theory that disproves how distant universes are travelling away from us at a faster rate the further out they are. Simple, red shifting of the electromagnetic spectrum. We know light is bent when passing by a strong gravitic source. We can conclude light interacts with gravity. But light is both a particle AND a wave. And as light passes through gravitic fields present from infinite amounts of sources, the light loses it's energy. But it remains at it's speed of light. What happens is the wave form is stretched out due to loss of energy.

Currently, science believes this red shift indicated the speed of travel. I believe it is just light lossing energy from passing through billions of light years lengths of gravity from various objects.

This theory also disproves the Big Bang as the universe is stable 3 dimensionally. The universes creation was extra-dimensional, imho.

But, back to the magnetism conversation.................................There are 7 BASIC naturally occurring metals. I believe there are 7 BASIC natural forces as well.

Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead, Tin, Iron & Mercury (there are others but for some reason these 7 stick out, I forget why)

Each metal is the physical representation of a natural force. Which means there are 3 basic forces we have yet to discover.
                            Actually... light rays do two odd things when they approach and pass massive objects in space... First...they bend...1.7 degrees of arc on a 360 degree radial because light as well must conform to the shape of space...if it's curved by massive things nearby...then the light rays follow that curve like a ball bearing would follow the curve in the sheet on bed with a bowling ball in the middle of it. According to Prof. "E" ... the second weird phenomenon is that while the speed of these light rays do remain constant at his universal speed limit of 300 million meters per second... time itself slows down as the light passes a massive star... and that explains why Old Frizzy Britches lost his mind for while until he reasoned out these differences.

Here is a neat interesting site for thinkers ...and the video at the bottom tells a better story on this discussion...

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                              I like pie (and cake...)

How come PI R Square...and Cornbread are round? I always thought PI R ROUND!

Comment

Working...
                              X