I need some information, thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some information, thanks.

I am looking to get the pacsetter exhaust for the grand am. The one issue I am running into is that I need it to be certified to not put out more then 95 decibels.
    I was wondering if someone has had a chance to measure the decibel output of the pacesetter exhaust setup on an 00-05 grand am.
    Any information is helpful. Thanks.

This information is needed so I can be complaint with Maines harsh exhaust law.
    If anyone has a suggestion for a super quiet exhaust, while still giving me the performance increase, I am up for those suggestions too. (Looking at either 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust pipes and whichever muffler is recommended. In place of the pacesetter)
    Budget is around $300 for this.
    Thanks!

the headers wont nessisarly make it louder, your muffler will dictate that. a higher sieries muffler will aide you with the noise level. for instance a 70 sieries is quieter than a 50. also retaining a resinator before the muffler will also help alot with eliminating drone aswell.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I am not getting the header. It is way to much work.
      Are there any aftermarket resonators that I can buy in conjunction with a muffler?
      I am replacing my exhausts down-pipe after winter is over. It is starting to melt a little so I need to start getting quotes and what not.
      The stock exhaust from what I have been told is around $500 or something like that. I am looking for a cheaper alternative.
      Thanks for the help.
      Either the Pacesetter 88-1474 exhaust set-up or a custom job with aftermarket parts is fine.
      Whichever is the most quiet in terms of sound output, while still being better then stock; performance wise.

Comment

Your decision not to do this is a wise one. The Maine Motor Vehicle Laws are not only Draconian, but as you can see in the excerpt below, far too vague, ambiguous and subjective and allows the citing and ticketing of these laws to be done on a mere guess by the citing law enforcement officials who decides to pull you over for being "Too Loud". And on the repair and court satisfaction side, you face the same dilemma with the Yo-Yos at the Inspection Stations listening and looking at your car without proof they are using certified sound measuring devices (95 Decibels as the upper limit) that you can objectively be subjected to for getting the problem rectified:

§1912. Mufflers
        1. Muffler required. A person may not operate a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is equipped with an adequate muffler properly maintained to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
        [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (new); Pt. B, §5 (aff).]
        2. Cutouts prohibited. Except as provided in subsection 5, a muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
        [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (new); Pt. B, §5 (aff).] Page 7 of 21 29*A MRSA Relevant Sections Supplemental Info 10
        3. Amplification prohibited. A person may not operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system that has been modified to amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.
        4. Exhaust system fastened to engine. The entire exhaust system must be complete, without leakage and securely fastened to the engine block and frame.
        5. Exception; racing meets. Notwithstanding subsection 2, an owner or operator of a motor vehicle used occasionally in racing meets may obtain a permit from the Secretary of State for installing a cutout, bypass or similar device on the exhaust system of that motor vehicle pursuant to this subsection.
        A. The cutout, bypass or similar modification must be kept closed and inoperative while the vehicle is on a public way. [2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §23 (new); Pt. X, §2 (aff).]
        B. The permit must be in the vehicle at all times while on a public way. [2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §23 (new); Pt. X, §2 (aff).]
        C. The Secretary of State shall determine the eligibility of all applicants for a permit. [2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §23 (new); Pt. X, §2 (aff).]
        D. The permit fee is $1 for the registration year. [2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §23 (new); Pt. X, §2 (aff).] [2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §23 (rpr); Pt. X, §2 (aff).]
        6. Exception. Subsections 1 and 3 do not apply to a muffler or exhaust system that does not emit noise in excess of 95 decibels as measured in accordance with standards and specifications outlined in standard J*1169 adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers in May 1998. A person served with a Violation Summons and Complaint charging a violation of subsection 1 or 3 must provide satisfactory evidence that the muffler or exhaust system does not emit a noise in excess of 95 decibels as measured in accordance with standards and specifications outlined in standard J*1169 adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers in May 1998. Measurements must be made by participating certified inspection stations. This subsection applies to motor vehicles as defined in section 101, subsection 42, except that it does not apply to motorcycles.

As for the Pacesetter Headers... they come from the factory, triple painted in black..."just for storage" and once installed and fired up...that paint will all burn away and leave you with rusted pipes that will not do well when exposed to the salt ocean sprays and road salts for de-icing the highways. Thin-walled ferrous metals dissolve like butter on pancakes in this nasty environment. If you were to get their Armor*Coated version, the price goes up over $500.00. One last thought here...The Fines... How often could you afford to be pulled over and cited and have to deal with this new reality? Some things are better left "Factory Fresh" and "Stock as a Clock"
        Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-16-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, I am well aware of the law. I appreciate you posting it in its entirety. I am having a hard time finding any information on if the Pacesetter set-up emits a louder noise then that. I called a few stations, and funny enough....those I have called do NOT have equipment to measure sound output. I wonder if a decible meter would suffice? Or if somethinge more
          I need a new exhaust for this summer, but I cannot afford to spend $500+ to get the stock exhaust on a car I will not be keeping more then 2-3 more years. Maybe 4 if I have too.
          I do not mind spending 2-300 for an exhaust shop to weld on some pipe and attach a muffler. It needs to be 2.25 or 2.5 last time I checked.

SAE J1169 and SAE J1492---these are the two that "test" the exhaust output, I guess.

Comment

To echo Bob442... The use of headers...any headers... does only one thing: Allows the engine to Breath with Greater Volumetric Efficiency. Period. You can only gain horsepower though if you are able to "loosen the reins" on the actual side of the exhaust system that can either modify, dumb down....or enhance the sound emanating from your exhaust. And that means your answer can be found by investigating muffler(s) that promise to "Let the Puppies Breath" like a Fishnet Bra at a Cape Cod Beauty Contest (.)(.) ...and still hold the sound down to the legal decibel levels.

Comment

I am not going to be upgrading headers. My intake; upper and lower manifolds are however sportsman-ported and polished. That is as far as "breather mods" go for the engine portion.
              I am concerned with Cat-back only at this point. I guess I was not clear enough. My headers are fine as far as I know. It is my down-pipe and muffler that are rusted.
              I was told by the shop that inspects my vehicles my exhaust will not pass inspection this year due to excessive amounts of rust.

Comment

I have been looking, and I have yet to find one that fits in the stock spot, that is states "I am quiet".

Comment

You mentioned this one earlier... perhaps a call via this vendor's 1-800 number will allow you to get "The Technicals" on their decibel levels?

Comment

I tried calling pacesetter directly....but that did not get very far.

I have been looking online and have found the following.

I can run a this http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1041...=pd_sbs_auto_1 as a resonator maybe, and then my choice of a muffler, the options I know of any muffler that has a 1 2.5 inlet and 2 2.5 outlets.
                    I was looking at the flowmaster ones, they all say "aggresive" the other ones do not say much.

Comment

These Amazon Buyer Reviews seem to agree with your choice:

These two subjective reviews on that device seem to indicate this muffler is a good conservative choice by virtue of giving reduced decibel levels with no restriction problems through the exhaust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great and no restriction to flow, December 22, 2011

Eddiebezzell - See all my reviews
                      Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
                      This review is from: Magnaflow 10416 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Round Muffler (Automotive)
                      Had to buy this to try to get my custom 2.5" race pipe down to Laguna Seca levels for track days. This is the largest I could fit as the pipe was already made and fitted to car. It sounds better now, less raspy and brought sound down about 6-8DB. Quality is great and no restriction to flow. Looks good as well, shame you cannot see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars performance good, sound is disappointing, March 27, 2011

1964nova - See all my reviews
                      This review is from: Magnaflow 10416 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Round Muffler (Automotive)
                      as advertised the performance and cfm rating (533) is very good, however it sounds like a typical glasspack and was hopeing for a more mellow, throaty sound as in a street muscle car sound.

Comment

Any suggestions for a muffler to go with that one?
                        Thanks.

Comment

just get a flow pro, there much cheaper. and if your car is stock, running just that wont be to loud.
                          heres just a straight piped 3400, and a 20" long resinator in the stock location.
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

and in my sig, is the same resinator with custom long tube headers, and a magnaflow CAT.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                            just get a flow pro, there much cheaper. and if your car is stock, running just that wont be to loud.
                            heres just a straight piped 3400, and a 20" long resinator in the stock location.
                            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

and in my sig, is the same resinator with custom long tube headers, and a magnaflow CAT.
                            so you are recommending a Flow Pro for the resonator in place of the Magnaflow? My car has sportsman port and polish upper and lower intake manifolds as well as a short ram intake. Other then that it is bone stock.
                            The stock piping on a Grand Am is 2.25 right? Would I be better off replacing the piping with 2.5 or 2.25? Does it matter?
                            Which muffler would you think is the quietest of those to choose from?

Comment

Working...
                            X