pontiac 6000 ste questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pontiac 6000 ste questions

does anybody know the power distribution between the front and rear wheels? and if anyone has pics of the bottom of the car that would be wonderful, i just want to see the drive shaft setup for all wheel. also, are they notorious for any specific problems with the setup?
    Firebird: The beta version
    sigpic

I would stay away from that platform for quite a few reasons.
    - There are much better AWD cars available
    - The system was only available with a 3-speed auto
    - Replacement parts would be next to impossible to find
    - It most likely has a weak transmission and rear diff, if you're looking to put more power than stock through it.
    - It's probably difficult enough finding one for sale
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

i came across one for like a grand recently, it needed a head gasket or something stupid like that. i just think they are kind of interesting and wouldnt be a bad car to get from point a to point b. im not really looking to get a fwd, and most awd are foreign.
      sigpic

Comment

Nothing wrong with foreign lol. Subaru makes a great awd system and you can find cheap ones all the time.
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

yeah but for my first few cars i want a gm 60*v6 ;D

i will probs be fine with the camaro, just need to change the tires over to studs in the winter
          edit:maybe throw some cinder blocks in the trunk. or the swapped 2.8 XD
          sigpic

Comment

If you don't want FWD then the 6000 is most likely not what your after in an AWD car. It is still a transverse engine and transmission it just has a small prop shaft to the rear. More like a Honda CRV. The Subaru is a logitudnally mounted engine with AWD. So it is more like a RWD car with a prop shaft going to the front axle.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

the mitsu AWD uses a transverse engine with a pretty sturdy transfer case.

Comment

pontiac 6000 ste questions

However the Mitsubishi AWD system is well known and respected while the 6000 STE system is not. It most likely has a front-biased torque split and the AWD system is solely intended to increase traction in bad conditions; not have a 'fun' factor.
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

the camaro will be set up for drifting so winter is a no-no. if i get a foreign car its going to be later down the road. i know about subarus and i like the legacy gt and the SVX. but i want to get completely used to the handling of the camaro, its hard to explain i dont have time to right now. chances are im going to get a fwd for winter/rain but thats going to be in a couple years. 90s grand am with a 3400 sfi thrown under the hood. but anyway the pontiac 6000 ste just seemed like an interesting car and i saw one real cheap. i know they arent race cars, and they are a fwd with this weird little shaft running to the arse. but i just thought it would be a tad bit better than just front.
                  sigpic

Comment

My friend picked up a Subaru legacy for $300 last year. If you want an AWD winter beater, they're a good choice. My friend says to stay away from an SVX as everything but the engine is garbage. He's currently swapping an SVX flat-6 into his 95 STI RA.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

300? my god thats cheap... cheapest i have seen is like 1200 and it needed something that was pricey. im worried i will start drifting around in the snow and get used to it, then in the spring i would pull out the 'maro and drift like its my first time O.o
                      sigpic

Comment

Well the clutch was on its way out and it burned a little oil but he got a used clutch for $50 so it wasn't a big deal. And anytime you get a $300 car you can expect it to burn a little oil.

Myself I bought a few months ago an 87 Mitsubishi Mighty Max for $600 with a rebuilt 2.6/5-speed. It's not much to look at but it's actually good on gas and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. I've been driving it for about 4 months and already feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Another car I picked up a year ago was a 2000 Sunfire for $400. Nothing was wrong with that either other than a leaky valve cover.

For winter time keep in mind that if you have good snow tires you don't need AWD to be able to get around. Snow tires do wonders for pretty much any car.
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftDrift View Post
                          300? my god thats cheap... cheapest i have seen is like 1200 and it needed something that was pricey. im worried i will start drifting around in the snow and get used to it, then in the spring i would pull out the 'maro and drift like its my first time O.o
                          A legacy isn't going to want to drift that well unless it's modded anyways. Front and rear open diffs and not tons of power. If you get a turbo legacy you'll still most likely have an open rear diff but at least it has power.
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

i will try the camaro with different tires and weight in the back, but if it sucks then i will look into something that is most likely awd.
                            sigpic

Comment

3rd gen Fbodies are useless in the snow, don't even waste your time.

If you want something to get around in grab up a 2nd gen Jbody. Can't beat them for the price, reliability and how well they do in the snow.
                              Past Builds;
                              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                              Current Project;
                              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                              X