Drifting question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting question.....

I think anyone who has seen a muscle car drift can agree that they dont "hang" as far as the jap cars. Is this because they are heavy, Mostly in the arse? When i said i want my car heavier in the front on my other posts, i meant lighter in the back. But still, even with weight reductions i am yet to see a camaro (or chevelle for that matter) drift like any foreign car. What i really want to know is whether or not it is possible without cutting half of the car out. Any useful info is appreciated!
    Firebird: The beta version
    sigpic

Are you talking about angle? Muscle cars are physically larger and are generally capable of less steering angle than smaller imports.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

No i mean how far the back can kick out, i know steering angle has a lot to do with it but the back just doesnt swing out like the silvias for example.
      sigpic

Comment

I figured the diff and IRS has alot to do with making the backend kick out with ease, i could see a spool wanting to just spin straight, while a diff will put more power to one of the wheels so it pushes the car sideways
        sigpic

Comment

I think steering angle has a lot to do with it. If you're steering angle is limited, and you kick out the back end farther than the front wheels can keep up, the car has a tendency to spin out.

A car with a heavier rear end will swing out more easily I think than with a light rear end, since it would have more inertia.
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Can i post youtube links? I can show u two separate thirdgen drift videos and the back doesnt look like it wants to swing out
            sigpic

Comment

You don't want more power to one wheel. That causes the car to want to stay in a straight line. Think about when you're doing a brake stand. If you have an open diff, the car will usually stay still, because the stationary wheel keeps the car still. If you have a limited slip or spool, the car has more of a tendency to slide sideways even when not moving forward.
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Drifting question.....

Thirdgens also have pretty limited steering abgle
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I thought they can go to 54 degrees? That is plenty for track drifting right?
                  sigpic

Comment

The most angle I've seen on a thirdgen is something like 55*. 240s can get 60*+ with bolt on kits. I have a friend with a corolla who has more like 75*.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

It's plenty for drifting but not as much as other cars can get. In thirdgens the wheels will hit the frame if you go any further. You could tube the front end to work around that but you're looking at a lot of custom work
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Corollas also use solid axle so IRS isn't necessary although it's probably possible to set up the rear suspension better with IRS.
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

55 is fine, but will i have to use thin wheels?
                          sigpic

Comment

Well they dont kick out as quick, they kick out, but they do it slowly and tend to slide somewhat straight. You can tell they use e brake a little
                            Last edited by SwiftDrift; 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's the weight of the whole car. Not just the rear end. There's nothing heavy about the rear end of a thirdgen except the hatch glass. 240s also have a big window in their hatch though.

If you wanted to shave weight on the rear end the easiest thing is to buy a Fiberglass notchback hatch. They weigh 35 lbs IIRC with glass but cost $700.
                              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X