Aggggghhhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggggghhhhh

So, my 3100sfi 2003 Malibu has always seemed to run a little hot to me (200-220ish according to factory gauge) but it has never overheated. Well yesterday while I had it idling in my driveway while I was recharging the AC I started smelling coolant. Checked gauge and it was peaked out at 260 and that little red light was on. I shut it off and let it sit. This morning on the way to work if I had to stop for any reason the temp would climb at an alarming rate. The check engine light is on, and I used twice the amount of fuel as I normally do.

I'm not feeling good about this. And what sucks is this weekend me and the wife are supposed to drive down to Dallas and have a getaway for our anniversary.

Oh, not to mention this is my only mode of transportation since her Toyota Sienna decided to break a timing belt or something 2 weeks ago. Just waiting on the timing kit for that.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am going straight from work to advanced auto and having them pull codes for the CEL, and buying a new thermostat. I fear the one in the car is bad.

Before I start the car this afternoon I am going to check the oil and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. I'm afraid a HG took a shit on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why didnt you check the coolant? Pop the oil fill cap and look in there? Look on the dipstick?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Cuz I haven't had my meds in a week or so and I was ready to take a fucking sledge to the whole car. So I walked away. After it cooled down the reservoir was at correct level. I didn't go any further than that.

Comment

Must have been some trickery yesterday. I'm guessing I had too much water in the mixture and it evaporated because I just put in some 50/50 pre-diluted and it sucked down half a gallon before the reservoir was full and now she sits patiently around 180.

But I had them run a code scan and it is throwing a crankshaft position sensor code. But the car is running fine

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos View Post
          Must have been some trickery yesterday. I'm guessing I had too much water in the mixture and it evaporated because I just put in some 50/50 pre-diluted and it sucked down half a gallon before the reservoir was full and now she sits patiently around 180.
          Pop the oil fill cap and look in there. Look on the dipstick.
          Originally posted by Kaos View Post
          But I had them run a code scan and it is throwing a crankshaft position sensor code. But the car is running fine

Remove sensor, inspect it for milkshake like substance.
          Pop the oil fill cap and look in there. Look on the dipstick.
          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

could be pulley crank position sensor... It will still run without it but not to its full potential timing wise at least.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Could that be what is causing the "popping" noise coming from under the hood between 5000-5200 when I occasionally wind it out?

Comment

on the OBD2 cars, is the 24X sensor used for anything other than low-speed operation? with the OBD1 stuff, it's only really used for scheduling more MAP reads to average out for a supposedly smoother idle(though on the F-body calibrations, it read it up to 2000RPM, rather than the ~1250 for the 3x00s)..... i think it's questionable how well it works.
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Can't be doing much. There is no noticeable difference in driving the car. Only issue I've had or found is the popping sound between 5000-5200 when WOT.

Comment

How are you putting coolant into the motor? Are you filling it directly at the radiator. Have you pulled the radiator cap off to check the coolant level inside the radiator when the cars cold? That fluid is going somewhere if it's missing and hopefully not into your oil. You gotta check all of that.

Comment

A 2003 Malibu does not have a cap on the radiator... It's a pressurized overflow tank system.

Got Lope?
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Never new that, is that what you have also?

Comment

Yes

Got Lope?

Comment

I think it evaporated because I put too much water. Oil was just changed last week and it still looks new. No milkshake in the valve cover. It's not overheating anymore. I need a new coolant tank, might look into a snazzy aluminum one.

Also the car never smokes and still makes good power so I don't think it's burning the coolant.
                            Also today I bought so A/C o-rings and freon and recharged the A/C. All is well, thank you for the input everyone.

Comment

Well hopefully it's nothing major.

Comment

Working...
                              X