Motor Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Week

Just watched Motor Week. Made me sad. Roadtested the VW GTI. 3.2 DOHC, 240HP, ran 14s@97MPH in the 1/4 mile......................
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

Why sad? We don't have 240hp stock, or that our cars are pigs when it comes to weight?
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

well, fif you think about it, that running 14s is kinda pathetic. if you swap a gen 3 3400 into a j body, you are instantly in the 14s with 180hp.

Comment

I would rather see a built LS1 in a j body, lol.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket
          Why sad? We don't have 240hp stock, or that our cars are pigs when it comes to weight?
          Both, At least it isn't a ricer, it's a bratburner!
          If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
          sigpic

Comment

We have a Golf with those specifications, but it's not called a GTi. It's just called R32 I think. Not a bad car, IMO

Comment

yeah, when the name chaged to R32 it's supposed to be more hardcore. Either way it's a nice car. 60v6 weren't designed to be monsters in a stright line, but we'll make it so.

MOe
              \'90 Cutlass with \'95 3.4 DOHC V6

3.1L V6/I-40 Dragway/Crossville, TN/28 May 03
              60 ft 2.38s
              0-60 9.43s
              0-100 34.5s
              1/8 mile 10.92 @ 64.58mph
              1/4 mile 17.04 @80.36mph
              * converted from 1/8 mile

Comment

I liked the sound of that R32. Although a 15* v6 would be kinda weird, lol.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey
                  well, fif you think about it, that running 14s is kinda pathetic. if you swap a gen 3 3400 into a j body, you are instantly in the 14s with 180hp.
                  This is stock, off the showroom floor! I hate it, but it is impressive. German engineering at it's best!......Put this engine in a Fiero, with some toys! Still...I like my bigass, comfortable, W-Body, semi-fast, General Motors car! (We tend to be biased.) Oh yeah, Got a 60deg,com sticker on it! R32 can't have one!!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

R32 does sound good. It also reminds me of the Nissan Skyline R32. But 1st Gen W Body sounds best to me. Sure other cars are smaller, handle better, have more power, have a more traditional/advanced drive train layout but my car does what I want it to do.

I'll race, have 3 other people comfortably in the car - carry all my spares and tools on the drive home. And if any high school punks in bling bling pull up next to me. I'll let them know at the next stop light how slow their car is.

3.4 litre 60degreeV6 is the heart of my machine and is damn good at what it does.

MOe
                    \'90 Cutlass with \'95 3.4 DOHC V6

3.1L V6/I-40 Dragway/Crossville, TN/28 May 03
                    60 ft 2.38s
                    0-60 9.43s
                    0-100 34.5s
                    1/8 mile 10.92 @ 64.58mph
                    1/4 mile 17.04 @80.36mph
                    * converted from 1/8 mile

Comment

i'll drink to that

Comment

IIRC what Motor Trend said about the R32 in the edition that had a small article about it, over seas the car was called the RSI. Here is a vid of an RSI in action:

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

R32 isn't that house refrigerant? Oh wait that's R22. That's supposed to sound hardcore? I'll name my car R134a and I'll be like...uber badass (Olds)
                          Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                          3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                          Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                          2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                          TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket
                            I liked the sound of that R32. Although a 15* v6 would be kinda weird, lol.
                            Actually, the VR6 is barely even a V6. Because of the 15* banking, the cylinders have to be kind of nestled between each other, as you can see in the picture. the engine is actually more like a straight six than a V6. It only has one cylinder head.

Comment

Yeah, basically it's a way of packaging six cylinders to be shorter than an inline, and narrower than a Vee. Volkswagen engine compartments aren't very big.
                              60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X