deisel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deisel?

just an amusing thought. i hardley know anything about deisels except they have a alot of torque.

What would it take to convert one of our little v6's to deisel? i think the weakest point is the heads, adn the 4 bolts around them. we could use the iron head pistons to acheive a higher compression ratio, but most deisels run likr 20:1 (i think, i havent looked recently) and the turbo deisels run like 15:1. i guess the lack of a glow plug is a problem, and the non direct injection as well.

enlighten me.
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Re: deisel?

Originally posted by Doubt_Incarnate
    just an amusing thought. i hardley know anything about deisels except they have a alot of torque.
    You are right...Diesel (spel-chek) :P It was tried in the 80s with a 350 block. Failed miserably. Burnt rings, scored walls, many converted back.

Conversion takes more than pistons. I doubt if the block itself would handle 20:1. You can actually run diesel/gas mix now, but it runs like ass. PCM wouldn't know what to do. You would never get the RPMs gas gives. Timing would be a whore to figure.

I do like the thought process though. You can make your own Bio-Diesel for about $.70/gal.
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

Comment

wish i had a real garage, and a spare car so i could tinker. i wonder if you could get away with 12-13:1 and a butt load of boost, get up some heat in the air if you cant get it from compression. even if it wouldnt light up on its own, it should barely take a spark to get the fire going, then you could control the timing. but your right, if the heads dont give out, the block probly will. wonder what the output would be if you get one to work properly, i bet a lot of the fwd trannies would give out.

Comment

Without the RPMs, you would have to run a standard. Auto would never shift right. And the 4T60-E is already shady.
        If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
        sigpic

Comment

WTF are you guys talking about. It is impossible to convert a gas engine to diesel. The block would work fine. The heads are completly wrong and you have no fuel system to support combustion. So go cast some heads and find a fuel system for a V6 diesel and then start talking

You will need about 18:1 compression
          20,000PSI+ Fuel system
          Heads (custom cast) with no spark plug hole but a hole to house the huge diesel injector. 4 Valves per cylinder recommended
          Turbo if you plan to make any power
          Cast block and alum heads are fine
          Forged diesel pistons
          New completly different cam grind
          Intake will work and good news is diesels have no throttle body.
          Now you need a vacuum pump to run any vacuum systems
          You need a diesel specific cat converter or removal of the old one.
          Specialized ECM to run this thing.

Solution? Buy a Fuckin Jetta TDI
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Theory my Canadien friend. Nothing but theories. Not impossible, just not financially feasible.

But, it does tweak the mind.
            sigpic

Comment

Twin Turbo, LQ1! Diesel! ....wow....on a lawn tractor! Pullin' little bastard!

Subhuman... (My dimentia only precedes my logic)

Buy a Jetta! That will happen...... :P
              sigpic

Comment

throw some propane and diesel in a 3100 with the 2.8 crank, and the 2.8 iron head high output pistons. 13.5:1, 3x00 heads, the roller cam, 15 psi of boost, and if it doesnt do it, maybe a little spark would, if thats the case, you get a "barely diesel" motor with control over timing. if i had a spare motor to blow up or totaly ruin, i'd give it a shot to prove or totaly disprove any feasability whatsoever.

how does the no throttle body trick work, how do you control the airflow?

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
                  Solution? Buy a Fuckin Jetta TDI
                  bes idea in this whole thread

how does the no throttle body trick work, how do you control the airflow?
                  the motor sucks as much as it can take in, you dont regulate it
                  3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

how do you control the engine speed with no throttle body? thats what i meant.

Comment

Injection controls engine speed. This is done on the pump. Look at a Big Truck, linkage attaches to the pump.

Again, this is all theory. To say it is impossible, is a mute point, unless someone has a lot of time, money, and a machine shop to work in.

The 2 DOHC heads on a straight six should be impossible, but, it is being done.

Just a thread to tweak the mind. Just think, a proper working LQ1 Diesel.

New heads, new cams, fuel system radically changed, regearing, PCM, intake, exhaust, block could be sleeved. I'd still go with a 5 spd. It could be done.

I would estimate a prototype cost of around 75 to 100 grand. Then, what would you put it in? GP? Cavalier? Cutlass? Go for broke, build 4 with twin turbos and mount them in a full size pulling tractor! Then, you could use an Allison Auto tranny. Or a John Deere Hydraulic.
                      sigpic

Comment

my brain must have a crack in it (not always a bad thing...) ut how does that effect the A/F ratio, or is that not so critical in a d-zil.

Comment

Diesel will take as much air as you can force into it. There is a Dyno-Max that runs 12s at Kil-Kare. 4wd!
                          sigpic

Comment

my brain must have a crack in it (not always a bad thing...) ut how does that effect the A/F ratio, or is that not so critical in a d-zil.
                            i started typing something out for you... .but then realized that explaining things thru a message board is pretty hard

so here ya go
                            http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel.htm .. thoes guys over at how stuff works are much better at explaining things than i am
                            3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

that almost helped, i'm going to guess that they can controll rpms by the timing of the injection and amount of fuel injected. i guess there is no such thing as lean or rich for these motors is ther?

Comment

Working...
                              X