Lost on the GT35R setup idea ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost on the GT35R setup idea ....

What I want to do is a GT35R setup (intercooled all that good stuff). If you were me, how would you go about getting everything setup (being in the condition of a college student). I don't know if i'm better off looking for and buying the parts myself and then pay for the installation or simply taking it to some engineered performance company who'll do it all for me at an outrageous price. I don't know where I should start........so any help is appreciated.

You are in college so I will break it down for you.

Get your education, and spend your money on beer and girls.

When you get done with college and aren't poor, then put money towards a car.

If you are asking if you should take it to a shop, then I am guessing you have neither the tools nor the knowledge to do it by yourself. Which means you are going to pay close to $6-7K for everything if not more.

Do you have that kind of money right now? I doubt it. Put the idea to rest for now and put your focus on school.

Comment

If you want it done yesterday, then a trusted custom shop would be ideal. If you are willing to do a lot of research and what not, you could probably pull it off yourself.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Check around and see what shops are in the area. Many people have bought parts and then not been able to find someone who can weld up the manifolds and piping they need. DO NOT buy any parts until you find a trusted local shop that fits into your budget and your plan.

Tim
        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
          Check around and see what shops are in the area. Many people have bought parts and then not been able to find someone who can weld up the manifolds and piping they need. DO NOT buy any parts until you find a trusted local shop that fits into your budget and your plan.

Tim
          That is exactly my next idea buy the parts and then have them installed. I looked on ebay but no one was so much giving away a T25 turbo. Do you know any site where I could buy all the parts I would need besides ebay?(the whole kit would be f#*%!^& kit would be nice).

Jeff at engineered performance (in Atlanta) has a kit but he wants to sell it to me for $1500 and install it for another $1500 am I right when I say....that's a lil high?

-Thanks every lil tip helps

Comment

If it's $3k installed for a brand new turbo, BOV, Wastegate, Intercooler, and all piping and accessories, then that's a great deal. It's difficult to buy decent components (excluding piping) for under $1.5k. A new turbo is $500 minimum and $1250 if you want a nice, GT series turbo (like the GT35R). Intercoolers run $200-1000. BOV's and wastegates are both around $200. Add in a FMU for engine management or some other tuning solution and you're easily at $1500 before adding a single pipe, hose, flange, piece of silicone, nut, bolt, or gasket. The little parts can easily add up to the cost of the turbo or more.

The guys who build $1500 turbo kits generally do so by doing all of their own work, using substandard new or decent used components, and/or by being heavily sponsored. Usually, those kits are very basic and lack the parts you will want for durability, reliability, and decent power production.

Tim
            1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I should add that chinese knock off parts are available on e-bay for significantly less, but those turbos tend to last as long as it takes to remove them from their packaging. Knock off intercoolers and BOV's can be a great deal on a budget kit, but knock off wastegates and turbos are 100% not worth it.

Tim
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Get some nitrous or get some educaid loans...oh wait that's what I do.
                Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                Pet Waste Removal Omaha
                We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
                (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

Working...
                X