Turbo Grand Prix Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Grand Prix Project

I've got a '00 Grand Prix SE w/ 3100 engine and 4t65e. I had been planning a L67 swap, but adding a turbo to the 3100 would be more than enough fun without the hassle of swapping the engine. So, I need some help on choosing a route. I tried searching, but didn't find much of interest.

TGPs from the late 80s/early 90s are an avenue of interest in swapping parts, so here's some questions:
    - Will these manifolds bolt up to my engine?
    - Do I need the whole set, or just the rear (not seen them yet)?
    - Does anyone know of someone getting rid of a set of TGP manifolds or a setup?
    - If I can't get TGP manis, does anyone here make turbo manifolds for sale?

I'm not really looking for a lot of power, 300whp in the long run perhaps, but I'll be aiming lower than that in the 230-250 range. Any links or leads are extremely welcome.

find a complete setup from a tgp, it should all bolt up.

Comment

Hey!! Thats exactly what Im doing right now!

I've got a 96 grand prix and thats a 3100 with a 4t60e bolted up. Yes you have to get both front and rear manifolds. here's the back

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

Finding front/rear/crossover from a TGP might be difficult, we'll see. Anyone know someone selling a TGP setup (manifolds and perhaps turbo)?

Jonpro03, thanks for the great pics. It really shines some light on how the TGP mounts the turbo. BTW, does the turbo hang from the crossover or does it have a mount resting on the tranny or engine that is hidden in the pics?

Comment

It has a mount but I regrettably didn't grab it off of the tgp.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

offtopic:what does that breather actually do...get more air to the oil/lower oil pressure?
            Originally posted by wozxx...{is 92 mph in a school zone illegal?}
            I was going relatively fast thru a school zone and was caught. However, I managed to zip into a neighborhood and evade the cop. Could I get additional tickets by trying to run?

Comment

It allows crankcase gases to escape without putting oil into your intake. Replaces the PCV valve.

Comment

u have large port heads, so you will need to port the manifolds since the gen 2 ports are round and small. tgp t25s are too small for a 3.1, its gonna choke the 3100 like crazy
                [SIGPIC]
                12.268@117... 11's to come!
                turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

I heard a t28 is the ticket... This is a summer project anyway and I don't even have my hands on a set of parts. I'm just testing the waters.

Any idea if the stock manifolds can be used? Cut off/weld up the outlet on the rear one, and cut the center of the crossover for a Y and flange. Leave the front alone. Sound like a good idea? I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum, seeing as I don't have a welder or experience (the latter I could fix if I had a welder). I've also heard there are problems with porting TGP headers.

Comment

just port them a little, and dont worry too much about it
                    [SIGPIC]
                    12.268@117... 11's to come!
                    turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                    ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

looking at those pics, couldnt you just keep your front exhaust manifold, get another new gen3 front exhaust manifold and put it on the rear, and just use the tgp cross over to link to the turbo?

Comment

No you cannot use a front exhaust manifold for the rear exhaust manifold. Look at the holes position. When you try to use the front on the back the exiting will be facing the pass-side of car.

That may be a MPFI engine, but the same rules apply. That manifold, not bolted to engine is a TGP rear exhaust piece just resting there. The one bolted is what belongs to that engine in that spot.
                        Also the TGP rear exhaust manifold is shorter at the stud section since the crossover for the TGP withholds the EGR tube.
                        Last edited by 1988GTU; 01-05-2007, 01:58 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Rear Stock manifold and a TGP manifold.
                          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

oh i see, well couldnt u just keep the fron and port the rear of the tgp

Comment

Then you'd have to modify the crossover and so on. I think it's either use all TGP or go modified. Nothing is ever simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X