3.4 DOHC boost??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 DOHC boost??

hey guys i was wondering,according to my father boosting a 3.4 d.o.h.c is a waist because their compression ratio is to high and they will run like crap is this true or no?

as long as its tuned right, compression alone won't make it run bad... stick a turbo on a 3.4, especially without an intercooler, and yes it will run like shit and eventually make a hole through the pistons, and likely blow the headgaskets off in a very short amount of time, if its not properly set up.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

lol i always thought it was mandatory to have a intercooler when installing a turbo lol.so if i decided to go this route id be shure not to forget the intercooler thamks lol

Comment

exactly what vehicle are we refering to? a 91-93Z or 94 Z34?

if its a 94, it uses a MAF sensor, which will accomadate for some boost, but if its a 91-93, it uses a MAP sensor, meaning you'll need to work around other things as well
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

False. The 3.4 DOHC loves boost. Be sure to do a bit of tuning before getting crazy with the boost though. I've personally run over 10 psi on a stock motor. Some of the Fiero guys have run more on stock motors.

Tim
          1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
          325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Lol just watch out, i just turned my boost to 10 psi , and installed my methanol injection setup and when i did a quick shift to 2nd gear i sheared 2 subframe bolts right off.

But honestly the 3.4L DOHC loves boost and honestly after driving mine, i would never go back.

Jake
            GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Yeah. I sheared the input shaft to the transmission before (and toasted all of the bands and clutches). Go above stock power and the engine may not break, but the transmission and other bits probably will.

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Intercooled or not the LQ1 likes boost. mine has been boosted for 3+years now and not a single problem... No trans issues, engine issues, ect.... I started with 5psi and have been running 7psi for 1 1/2 years or more. the LQ1 is what 9.25:1 IIRC and thats awsome for boost. now obviously you don't wanna go crazy like 20psi unless you lower the compression and replace internals and a good tune.
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

does anybody have any pics or steps or both of the way they boosted their 3.4?also it is a 93 3.4.thanx

Comment

Jake

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Comment

thanx this helps a lot.another question.would you go about boosting a 3.4 dohc the same way you would a 3400?

Comment

basicly, yeah.
                        Shane "RedZMonte"
                        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Matt Hawkins on the Fiero forum has been running a dynoed 400 wheel hp turbo 3.4 DOHC in his Fiero for a few years now. According to him ARP rod bolts and hypereutectic pistons are all his engine has for upgrades.

Comment

hypereutectic pistons are just stock pistons,

but yeah ive been running 11 psi on my car and beat the hell outta it with no problems other than weak links breaking aka axles

Comment

To the OP, i see you live in Ocala. You should come by and check out my Turbo 3.4 DOHC sometime.

Mark

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
                              X