Need help with Turbo install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Need help with Turbo install

Where can I purchase exhaust piping for a 3400 v6 to fit a Garrett t3/t4? Going into a 1996 Grand Prix. This is a DIY job as I am pulling various pieces from around EBay, local and dumps.

Bolt on manifolds preferred but cutting/welding is ok.

I tried to look up general suppliers to browse various y-pipes and the such but I can't find any that would seem to fit well enough. I need a y-pipe that is 180* in and an outlet that is close to 90* from inlets. A (T) design instead of (Y) design.

I need to connect the front/rear exhaust manifolds. I can weld on an adapter for the blow off valve, ect, ect.

I'm ripping out the a/c, cruise control and relocating the battery to the trunk. So I'll have enough room.

So in short, it would make life WAY EASIER if there was an exhaust pipe built to connect both exhaust manifolds, waste gate and run to turbo. The rest is easy and I got that under control.

Advice PLEASE

Thanks guys!

No such piece exists, sorry bro. Custom is your only option here. Are you using the stock manifolds? If so, you can use the stock crossover... cut a hole in it and weld on the turbo flange. It is far from ideal, but it will be the easiest route. Otherwise you need to buy individual bends, and cut and weld them together to make up your own y-pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by 3400beretta View Post
      No such piece exists, sorry bro. Custom is your only option here. Are you using the stock manifolds? If so, you can use the stock crossover... cut a hole in it and weld on the turbo flange. It is far from ideal, but it will be the easiest route. Otherwise you need to buy individual bends, and cut and weld them together to make up your own y-pipe.
      Yeah, I guess the crossover will have to do.

What would the better option... Should I mount the turbo so the intake is as short as possible or should I mount the turbo to keep the distance from exhaust headers low as possible? Or does it matter?

Just wondering if compression in the piping from exhaust manifold to the turbo would reduce the potential power of the turbo. Or visa-versa on the intake side. If it doesn't matter, is it reasonable to mount the turbo under the frame near the downpipe? Or how about in the trunk, lol. Silly as it sounds, would it work just as well?

Also, can you guys point out anything that is overlooked and might be an issue. I don't want to destroy anything when punching it down the freeway

WOT Street Heads
      Custom Turbo Camshaft
      WOT Competition Ported 3400 Intake Manifolds
      MLS Steel Head Gasket
      36lb injectors, stronger fuel pump
      Adjustable FPR
      Cone Air Filter
      High Flow Cat with 2.5" exhaust and Flowmaster 40's
      New radiator (old one was going so I decided to upgrade for better cooling)

I'm not installing an intercooler just yet as I am not dropping a large amount of boost. Just enough to really wake it up. Once I get the car running, tuned and let my wallet recharge I'll be dropping a rebuilt 3400 short block built for boost at higher pressures with an upgraded tranny and intercooler setup. The plan is to get a strong turbo in with a mild boost then later in the next year boost the crap out of it, safely.

The goal is to make the best 3400v6 Grand Prix. A unique gem. True it won't be the greatest engine to heavily mod. Though, it will be one nice sleeper that would dog 99% of the cars out on the street, once I'm done.

Thanks

Comment

Generally, you are better off keeping the "hot" side as short as possible - longer exhaust tubing before the turbo allows the exhaust to cool more, which robs energy from the exhaust flow that could be used to spin the turbine.

Low mounting is possible, but you then need to add an oil return pump. If you're interested in remote mount turbo's, check out Squires Turbo Systems.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredGXP View Post
          Generally, you are better off keeping the "hot" side as short as possible - longer exhaust tubing before the turbo allows the exhaust to cool more, which robs energy from the exhaust flow that could be used to spin the turbine.

Low mounting is possible, but you then need to add an oil return pump. If you're interested in remote mount turbo's, check out Squires Turbo Systems.

Makes sense, thanks.

I'm so psyched. The budget is confirmed and finalized. I got a lot of new toys coming my way next month

street heads from WOT
          custom turbo camshaft from WOT
          ported intakes from WOT
          36# injectors
          better fuel pump
          MLS Steel Head Gaskets
          T3/T4 Garrett custom turbo system
          megasquirt II piggyback
          97 Ecm swap from 97 lumina (darn 96 tuning issues )
          Under drive pulley (possible 200w alternator)
          new timing chain, sprocket and bolt
          seat covers
          headliner replacement
          new carpet
          vinyl stain
          exterior paint in Jet Black and Stormy Grey with Mild Black Chrome accents
          hood scoop
          wideband o2
          window tinting
          high flow cat
          exhaust upgrade
          cat back
          Chrome exhaust tips
          CAI (for turbo) rigged to a fully functional hood scoop ram air intake
          Intercooler
          Tranny fluid cooler
          new 1" radiator
          possible meth/water injection system
          New tires
          New rear light covers
          Gauges for boost and o2 wideband
          Laptop mount so I can use laptop for tuning and various fun at red lights, ect.
          Electric welding unit
          4x 1-ton jack stands

Possible projects I'm still working on financing...
          High performance short block
          Weld up exhaust header kit to improve the turbo system (ditchin stock mani's)

Oh this is going to be so much fun!!! I'm going to be in my garage for hours a day, several days a week.

And the paint job is going to be really slick. I had painted professionally for 10 yrs. I had painted everything under the Sun except for bridges. I'm going to put all my skill and heart into this paint job. Going to shine like a mirror. The bottom ground effects are going to be Jet Black. Above is going to be Stormy Grey. 6"-10" racing strip along the hood/top, over the hood scoop. Chrome accent lines.

I'll be sure to post many pics along the way.

All I have to do now is wait a couple weeks and it's on!

Afterwards, once the wife gets her car so she won't drive mine, only then can I put a 5/6 speed manual in. Women and manual trannies don't mix well. If you got a lady that can drive a stick, you are blessed....lol
          Last edited by Schmieder; 12-26-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Google 3400 turbo and it will have alot of pics on how make the piping.. there used to be a place that made a 3x00 turbo kit for like a GA or something... if you can find it you should be able to modify it to fit... but then again it might be easier to just make your own..

S
            Shane "RedZMonte"
            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I have a turbo kit for a 3400 for sale and if you buy the entire thing i can get you the turbo manifolds used on the past owners car.
              2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT K&N WAI, Pacesetter 2.5' piping/SLP loudmouth exhaust, Magnaflow High Flo Cat

2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0/Iron 370, Kooks 1 7/8 Longtube headers, Mahle forged pistons, Scat H-beam forged rods, Custom Cammotion boost cam, Magnaflow Catback exhaust.

Coming soon: Trickflow 235 heads & Magnacharger TVS 2300

Comment

I believe the one you are selling would be a bit small for this application though.
                As of April 2
                3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                ----------------------------
                Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                Injectors: #36 GTPs
                TB: 65mm TCE
                Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

A fellow GA er in a 3400 was running this and it worked great, was just throwing it out there incase he was on a budget. A "BIG" turbo alone costs more than my entire kit.

I love lurkers
                  2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT K&N WAI, Pacesetter 2.5' piping/SLP loudmouth exhaust, Magnaflow High Flo Cat

2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0/Iron 370, Kooks 1 7/8 Longtube headers, Mahle forged pistons, Scat H-beam forged rods, Custom Cammotion boost cam, Magnaflow Catback exhaust.

Coming soon: Trickflow 235 heads & Magnacharger TVS 2300

Comment

That turbo will work fine to start out
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

I believe a T3/T4 T04E should be ok for low boost. Spool fast at low rpm and still provide some boost at higher RPM. It would still flow twice as much at WOT/6.5RPM then stock intake. Daily driver in urban streets. And if it's toooo small still, I'll sell it and simply upgrade from there. The turbo set up will be done. I read step by step is safer.

I'm only running 8 psi. I have most details worked out, like proper intercooler, BOV, wastegate, dump pipe, O2 bungs (1 for wideband tuning), various 2.5" steel piping for custom exhaust mapping, flex pipe, high flow cat, vacuum manifold, oil sandwich for oil feed and pressure/temp gauges.

I'm going Garrett Turbo and Wastegate. The other stuff is going to be cheaper ebay stuff.

A few questions...........

Can I run 8 psi on stock rods, pistons, crankshaft, timing chain? I am going to use a MLS Steel Head Gaskets for there added strength and new head bolts. Or should I stick to 6 psi boost? This will only be an issue for another year or two when I can drop in a boost built short block. That is when I'm going to really push the limit. Trying for 25+ psi kind of stuff. But until then it's just a dream. 6-8 psi is the real project right now.

Now, will 36lb injectors work with 6-8 psi boost? Or will I need 42.5lb?

The Oil Sandwich, is there a version that has feed AND return ability? Or do I need to tap the oil pan still?

Fuel pump. I have a 1996 Grand Prix. Is there a Walbro pump I can use? Most sites sell for 97+. Or can I use stock pump with higher FPR/FMU?

Is a camshaft less important when boosting versus a n/a engine for performance? I read stock cams work great for turbo, any input there is great.

Transmission. I hope I don't destroy it. Will 6-8 psi bust it up quick? Or could I install a tranny fluid cooler and run lower shift points? Tranny is 4T60-E automatic FDR 2.93. Only an issue for a year or two.

What do I do with the EGR to pass emissions? It seems a bad idea to pipe exhaust pressure into the plenum. Should I just grab an EGR delete? How do I pass emissions 'legally' though it shouldn't be a problem, just a hassle

Ahh the headaches that come with all the fun, fun, fun.

I decided to take each project one step at a time. The paint and interior will come after the turbo build. A lot of work involved here. A lot of welding to do! Especially since i am welding 2.5" exhaust in 2.5" tip to tip. No more 2" restrictions.

Again, thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

When I welded one of those turbos in Loner's car, it ran 12.9 and 111 at 12psi - 3400 Corsica.
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          When I welded one of those turbos in Loner's car, it ran 12.9 and 111 at 12psi - 3400 Corsica.
                          Mwaa ha haa haaaa

I'm gonna love it. Honestly, I prefer neck snapping torque/acceleration over top speed. But in the end they are some what hand in hand.

It's going to be nice dusting a stock 5.0 Mustang.

But this project is more for the accomplishment of building it and to help me get into a really nice auto school.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            And IIRC, he was still having traction issues at that point.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                            X