New turbo setup !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New turbo setup !

Hello All , been trolling for a while . I picked up a garrett perkins diesel turbo off eBay for 100$ and built it into the crossover pipe on my 90 Lumina , Now this turbo came off a 3 cylinder. I figured why not run it the same way on my Car .

so it now get's fed exhaust from the front 3 cylinders and boosts the whole engine. I definitely feel it in the seat of my pants and it works NICE ..Pics to follow (as soon as I'm able)
    Last edited by 16vconversion; 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM.

I want to see this.

Saab did that for a very short time, but I can't imagine it's healthy for only one side of the engine to see that kind of an exhaust pressure differential between banks like that.

What did you do for tuning?
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Check it out... no Inter-cooler and I haven't put a boost gauge on it yet. it don't feel like any kind of HIGH boost , maybe just getting it to atmospheric ? the turbo gets fed from a sandwich adapter at the filter , and gets restricted at the turbo to .030 , scavenging is done by a El-cheapo eBay electric scavenge pump, Works Great. I've got another turbo that might fit the bill for going out back of the car ... Whatcha think ?

I did NOTHING for tuning . No CE Light. & those spots are raindrops , Not OIL !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 16vconversion; 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 16vconversion View Post
        Check it out... no Inter-cooler and I haven't put a boost gauge on it yet. it don't feel like any kind of HIGH boost , maybe just getting it to atmospheric ? the turbo gets fed from a sandwich adapter at the filter , and gets restricted at the turbo to .030 , scavenging is done by a El-cheapo eBay electric scavenge pump, Works Great. I've got another turbo that might fit the bill for going out back of the car ... Whatcha think ?

I did NOTHING for tuning . No CE Light. & those spots are raindrops , Not OIL !
        With out a tune, you will not get the power you could have and possibly blow up your engine. You are risking a dangerously lean condition when you go WOT. And you will not get a CE light just before it grenades itself.

I'de be very careful messing with boost with out the proper considerations. There is a reason people suggest a tune along with other recommendations like increasing the fuel delivery system.

But then again, if the boost is low, you may be ok. Hard to say.

Good luck

Comment

i do NOT see that engine lasting too long boosting... the MAP can't even read boost, so you could be pushing 5 psi and the ECM wouldn't know it, meaning you'll be running lean as hell with too much spark...

at least tell me you put the highest octane fuel you could get ahold of in it.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I understand guys , but there just ain't enuf Exhaust energy to spool to turbo to make any Great amount of boost. 93's in the tank..

correct me if I'm wrong but KOEO isn't Fuel pressure 43+ psi ? and running it's lower ? so if I take away that Vaccum that makes the FP lower should I get an increase in Fuel pressure to base Psi?
            Last edited by 16vconversion; 03-04-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I would suggest a FMU... it works, i ran mine like that for a few years (12:1 Vortec FMU).
              Shane "RedZMonte"
              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Just make sure your fpr sees the boost,it will adjust up for in at a rising rate if it sees pressure versus vacuum.
                That will help keep you from blowing up immediately,and might actually allow the pcm to fuel it half decent.
                A lean code won't necessarily come up right away,but i'm betting a p0171/0174 is in your future.
                Does this car use a maf? NM it's obdI so it would throw an 02 or MAP failure for lean probrably.
                If it uses a maf that will really help the fueling,luckily every GM pcm i've ever been into (alot of OBDII) has been rich as hell in PE mode so your might last a little while.

I'm gunning for you,test it to destruction!

Comment

Yeah you have to address the fuel. Do it right the first time so you don't blow up the engine. Then get a bigger turbo and feed both banks into it. And get a BOV in there...
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I checked it for boost and I'm seeing 2psi +or-.5 @ the regulator . I've disconnected the Gate as of now , I Popped the intake pipe and it's pushing a little oil. Whats your feelings about the red one I got ? its a t04. I was thinking of running it out back Ala' STS style ?

Comment

Im not a fan of STS setups... NHRA rules won't allow them to run at any NHRA event IIRC..... so if you plan on going to a drag strip for anything other then a T&T i would say explore other options... Plus more parts more potential for failure (oil pump, LONG oil lines, ect) Not to mentioned they generally spool pretty slow and have to push all that air back to the front of the car (slow responce)....

S
                      Last edited by RedZMonte; 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM.
                      Shane "RedZMonte"
                      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Sup Y'all , I've been running this setup for 1000 miles and it's great , No issues at all . PERIOD . thanks to everyone who posted up !

Comment

Okay , I'm done with this wimpy setup , I know this is more of a tuning question but where could I find an ECM with the modified TGP code in it ? Car in question is a 1990 3.1 lumina Auto.

Comment

The things that come to mind...

* keep an eye on your boost gauge... if you don't have one... get one!
                            * get a fuel pressure gauge on that thing... now
                            * do NOT use an FMU... they will try to pump the fuel pressure WAY too high...
                            just be sure the intake pressure line goes to the FP regulator
                            * Get a syclone/typhoon ECM
                            * checkout the code59 project - http://www.code59.org
                            * Try to keep your turbo close to the engine... all that plumbing is a pain if something leaks
                            Ron - Nevada, TX
                            Care-giver to following GM 60-degree V6 vehicles:
                            '95 Camaro 3.4
                            '02 Olds Silhouette
                            Owner of following GM other V6 vehicles:
                            '91 Syclone
                            '87 Grand National

Comment

you have a 1227727 ECM. code59 has been run successfully on a 1227749, 1227730, 1227727 and all of their variants.

more or less, you just need to grab your own stuff to tune it and you'll be good.
                              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                              Latest nAst1 files here!
                              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X