Max SAFE shot??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max SAFE shot??

I have a broken-in HT3.4 crate motor with the iron heads, along with a 400 cfm Holley TBI, Edelbrock TES, ported manifold, MSD coil... and I just ordered a NOS TBI kit for it, along wih a MSD timing controller, and I was wondering what you guys think the max SAFE shot is on these motors??

I was going to go a 50 shot to start, and would like to end up at a 75 shot. Will it take a 75 safely?? Compression ratio is 9:1, with the crate motor cast crank, rods, and slugs.

I will be retarding as necessary and will gap the plugs down to 40" from the recommended 45".

Thanks guys!!

I remember reading some time ago the safe norm on a stock engine is something like 30% of your already max power. So if you had 200hp, 60 would be considered safe, or along those lines. I've also read that a 75 shot should be safe on my engine, but mine produced 200-210 from the factory, so be cautious with a 75 shot on yours as I have no idea what yours produced from the factory.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Remember, there really isn't a safe shot. Improper fueling/timing can blow a motor even on a small shot. Starting at 50 and moving to 75 sounds like a reasonable plan.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Don't know a whole lot about nitrous but I would have to say it's really a question of WHERE you want the hit too. I would never spray my motor down low...then again I have a 4t60e lol.
        '96BerettaZ26- Med Adriatic Blue- FINALLY swapped '04 Impala 3400, Comp Cam, Comp 26986 springs, TCE lifter springs, WOTTECH Comp ported U&LIM, TCE 65MM TB, LM 4t60e~~~Looking for 3400 Downpipe

Comment

I would only use it at abouve 3200 rpm at WOT... and would use a RPM/TPS window switch to do that for me.

Comment

I sprayed a jetted 100 shot for a few years on my stock 3400... I had issues with Fel Pro headgaskets though, but nothing else broke. Also I should note I always sprayed that with the bottle at ambient temp so around 600 PSI, so I think it was equivalent to around a 60 shot since thats what I dynoed the change at. Stock run was 144 and the spray put it up to 206.

I'm now running a 100 shot with the proper bottle pressure 950-1050psi and the engine still has all stock lower end internals, and is probably around 9.15:1 CR and so far has survived 4 runs at the strip spraying that. I keep it quite rich though to prevent knock so I'm sure that helps some.

I may tune it back to the 75 shot this year since it will be my first with the bottle warmer and pressure gauge to get the bottle to 950... once I feel comfortable with that and don't notice any tune issues I'll probably put the 100 jets back in.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
            X