Twin Turbo 3.4 DOHC? Am I insane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Turbo 3.4 DOHC? Am I insane?

I have had a very long hiatus from the board; other issues have taken me away from my baby. I am moving into a new house and this one will have a garage and I am planning to make her into something truly unreal. What I have planned will likely take me a significant amount of time just to plan, but here are the broad strokes.

1. Twin turbocharged and intercooled 3.4 with the 96 and up intake swap.
    2. 5spd manual upgrade.
    3. Lower the suspension
    4. (This is the crazy part) All wheel drive. (Stop laughing)

The idea for the awd system springs from the need to get all that power to the pavement. Right now as it stands she needs some major work. The O ring leaks, she needs to have her tranny replaced or rebuilt, new exhaust, a lot of electrical work, a new radiator, etc etc. If I am going to do this much work when I get the garage space then I am going to go all out. This is not a short term project, and I am fully aware of that.

I'm open to all suggestions and assistance on this project, because it is a radical re-think of what I was originally planning for this car.

So....am I nuts. Or am I a mad genius?

I've never seen a twin turbo on a LQ1 before. The idea was tossed around before and the usual consensus was a larger single would give better results on this engine because of it's performance characteristics. Then again it could just be an assumption as it's never been done. Maybe some of the fierp guys have done it??

I think it would be super cool as it would be the first one done. If you have the know how and resources do it!

I've lowered my GTP on a custom coilover setup I made on my own. If you need some info I can tell you what I know and did.
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

the added complexity and lack of room to do so combined with the very small to no benefit of twins compared to a single properly sized turbo pretty much makes it an undesirable approach.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Ill believe it when I see it.
        -Matt

Comment

im curious, what AWD 5spd trans will swap in? Not saying it cant be done but very few people actually get it done. I would save yourself the headache and run a single trubo. there is a reason a large majority of people with TT setups go single.... (supra/RX7). sngle turbo's are so good now you can get one that is big, effecient and spools fast.

S
          Shane "RedZMonte"
          2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
          1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
          -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
          2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
          1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
          1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
          1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
          1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
            AWD 5spd trans will swap in?

S
            Turn the engine the right way and slap an AWD transfer case on a T-5. This also clears up some room for a snail hanging off of each head. Ask me why I was able to come up with this idea easy (except I was going to go C5 trans under the trunk and cut out the spare tire well since it's dead weigh on a car with 13" front and 12" rear rotors...). Good luck finding a decent front axle that will fit in all that mess, though.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

For a 5 speed manual, FWD is an easy option. If you want AWD, I think the Aztek might have been the most compatible donor vehicle. It's going to be a 4 speed automatic though. You'll have a ton of custom fabrication to do if you decide to go AWD.

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I think those tranfer cases from the aztec's bolt on where the diff cap goes. I hear they're weak. The jap cars ain't much better and tend to blow apart too. Just add anothe rmotor in the trunk and single turbo both of them! LOL Like the Olds 442 with dual blown 455's!
                sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

^ THIS

or go full frame, turn the motor 90* and go about it that way.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Perhaps if the car had an FR layout to begin with, then I could come up with quite a few suggestion for an AWD conversion. However, being that a fiero is a midship car, I cant really come up with anything.
                    Also, twin turbos are only helpful if your trying to lower and flatten out your overall torque line. (hence why they are predominantly used on track going road-race cars) There is no other advantage to using twins.
                    Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

My 3900 Fiero started out twin turbocharged and now has a single T67 that performs better and is packaged better. If you were to stroke the 3.4L so that you'd have more bottom end torque it might almost be worth it, but considering the benefits of twin turbos (to better accomodate larger V motors for example) it's overkill and over complicated. Except for uniqueness, I strongly advise against a twin setup in an application that doesn't require it. Consider using the extra space for an outstanding intercooling system like an liquid to air intercooler inline with an air to air, you'll get more from that than you will from an extra turbo especially if you achieve intake air temps within 20 deg of ambient or better considering I've logged intake air temps as high as 300 deg at ~15 psi. You can expect ~1% increase in power per 10 deg drop in air temps.

I still have a 3.43" stroked and radiused steel crankshaft to get rid of.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2011, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X