X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Turbo Orientation.

Can't find a good pic ATM

I have a Precision SC6131E Turbo.
    ( was talked about here http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...-a-good-option )

Do they have to be positioned horizontally? or can it be Vertical ?

Having a hard time with my limited space!!
    As of April 2
    3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
    ----------------------------
    Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
    Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
    Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
    Injectors: #36 GTPs
    TB: 65mm TCE
    Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
    Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
    Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
    Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

you can clock the compressor and turbine housings to whatever you need, so long as the center housing can be setup so that the pressure/drain for the oil is proper.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I think the spec is normally within 15 degrees of horizontal.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
        I think the spec is normally within 15 degrees of horizontal.

Tim
        I remember reading the same thing a while ago. I too believe 15° is the max. Unless I am mistaking the O2 sensor limit to horizontal....lol

I would like to find the degree offset a glass of water is under strong WOT and then counter that angle in the turbo alignment. During WOT, the turbo will "feel" horizontally balanced from the accelerating G forces. Might be good for the spinning blades...?

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          you can clock the compressor and turbine housings to whatever you need, so long as the center housing can be setup so that the pressure/drain for the oil is proper.
          Ya I figured it had to be close to Horizontal

The oil feed should be on top and drain on the bottom?
          As of April 2
          3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
          ----------------------------
          Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
          Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
          Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
          Injectors: #36 GTPs
          TB: 65mm TCE
          Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
          Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
          Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
          Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Maximum boost states 30 deg max but more important, if you have the proper height for good gravitational drain back and a 5/8 to 3/4" drain fitting from the turbo you shouldn't have a problem unless your oil pressure is too high. The recommended oil pressure with or without a restrictor is not less than 5 psi at idle and 25 psi underload at the turbo. I would also recommend synthethic oil which has a higher resistance to coking. Kind of like cooking with vegetable oil instead of butter, butter will burn quicker if you're not careful. I've rebuilt a few turbos and coked oil builds up inside the turbo pretty thick over time especially if the unit isn't water cooled.

I dropped down to 5W20 synthetic because of tight bearing clearances and installed an oil cooler. On hot days so far my oil temps hoover around 180-200 deg. On cool days I'm not sure what the temp will reach as I've not driven the car long enough for the temp to climb out of the blue range of the gauge, so I know come winter time I may need to wrap the cooler to get the temps up into optimum range.

Comment

Originally posted by Weatheralls Auto View Post
              Can't find a good pic ATM

I have a Precision SC6131E Turbo.
              ( was talked about here http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...-a-good-option )

Do they have to be positioned horizontally? or can it be Vertical ?

Having a hard time with my limited space!!
              Some people mount the turbo under the car by the tail pipe. The disadvantage is you need an oil pump to push the drained oil back to the engine. And the distance the exhaust and intake must travel would increase lag, Then you need to pipe in a catalytic, etc.

But it can be done and you still can get decent boost that way. Just not like an engine side turbo.

One good point about that system is the intakes get a chance to cool off.

edit: btw, my first build I had the turbo at an angle equal to the hood. Due to tight spaces, it just worked out that way but it makes sense. Why waste a few inches on top?

From what I learned, building a turbo (or other custom) is an artform. People who build performance vehicles are some of the greatest engineers in my mind.
              Last edited by Schmieder; 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X