3.8l m62 supercharger on 2.8l 60* v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8l m62 supercharger on 2.8l 60* v6

Hey I thought I would post up my project... it may help to show people the amount of machining work needed to make this possible... which to me wasn't that much Haha but here you go, enjoy

There is the work I did to the intake manifold

There is a look of the adapter plate (not finished in picture)

There is a picture of basically what it will look like minus the intake plumbing

That thing looks massive for that motor lol. Lots of machining I see. I guess if you have the sources and the know-how, the entire build could be all junkyard parts... I'd like to see it run when you are done!

Comment

I forgot about this, any progress mikeal6031?
      sigpic
      "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

I haven't been able to do much with it with workin two jobs and college but I switched vehicles im putting it on because my 3.1 Rs has a serpentine belt which will be easier to work with than the 4 rib and v belt that I have on my 86 base, the onlything I really have to do is drill 8 holes in the adapter plate to mount it to the intake, and then I just have go bolt it up and put a belt on it. But then the tuning aspect will come in, I have 350 v8 injectors which should work well, I have to monitor the afrs. With the wide band to make sure its not goin lean but im sure im goin to hit some bumps in tuning it.... I've learned nothing ever is as easy as it sounds Haha but ill try to get a runnin video up on you tube when I get it done

Comment

Last night i took some time to remove the stock manifold on my RS and put the new manifold in

stock one

there is the new manifold in

the adapter plate just got drilled for bolts

there is what the supercharger looks like on the plate

That is what will be sticking out of the hood
          The output should be 240-300 hp depending on the camshaft and the intercooler
          Last edited by mikeal6031; 08-20-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

W00T! I would be very interested in a video when you can get it up and running, very cool.
            sigpic
            "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

How are you planning on getting the TB to work?

Comment

I figured out the intake system it looks a little weird but it kinda adds to the aggressive stance

there is how i got over the firewall

and there is where it will go back under the hood
                I just have to do some more milling on the adapter plate and get two idler pulleys and then put my injectors in and hope i don't blow it up

Comment

some more progress on the intake manifold

there is the intake for the m62 (going to need some cleaning)

there is the plate i made to bolt to the super

The plate attached to the super... i need to make another one to seal off the EGR to the blower

and then the tubbing 2.5" should be able to handle the 600cfm the blower will be drawing in (hopefully)
                  one thing i found is that the drive pulley on the RS puts the bet ratio to max the supercharger out when the engine is at 6250 rpms so the blower will be producing more boost at all the lower rpms than when i had planned this all out for my base coupe haha 12-16 psi should be the result at 6250 haha

Comment

Personally I don't think that is the best idea.

With the parts at hand I guess you are doing okay.

I would have turned the supercharger around 180 degrees, taken the snout from a 98-03 Benz SLK C230 (link) and ran a dummy shaft back to the main belt. This seems like a good bit of fab work, but your TB will be on the proper side and you wont have to mess around with using crush bent exhaust tubing for an intake...

Pic of what I mean

Comment

Might I suggest mandrel bent tubing?

Other than that, I'm interested to see how it turns out
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

mandrel bent is my plan for the finished product but i went with the crush bent because it saved me about $30(im kinda broke). If i get everything to work ok i will go to madrel bent tubing.... thanks for letting me know what to look for for the short snout i have seen that before but i didnt know what to look for... i will probably use that on my next project which is going to be the twin M90s i have setting on the bench to go onto a 2005+ 3.8L or a 2003+ LS engine (that will be another topic later though)

Hoys-post #7 TB??
                        My plan is to weld a plate to the tubing . Then mount the TB to that and bring the TV cable and accelerator cable to it.
                        Last edited by mikeal6031; 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

My post was saying that having the tubing like that will look very bad (mandrel or crush) and will be a pain in the rear. There is a reason why supercharger setups in Longitudinal mounted cars have the extra shaft and pulleys so the TB inlet can be at the front of the car.

Comment

How much boost you planning to put on those stock internals?? Any plans in the charge-cooling department?? Possibly even a homemade water/alky kit?

Comment

I know that the stock internals probably wont like the boost (10-15 psi at the top end) but if i ever get the fab work done for just getting the blower on and operational id like to rebuild the motor with a good crank (any recomendations would be great (ive found that eagle makes onei dont know if there good though)) and piston rods which are everywhere haha... but then if anybody knows of a resonable place to get forged pistons (Thats not going to be easy i know) but as far as cooling i was thinking about taking another 1" chunk of aluminum and putting two very small transmission coolers (stacked) in it and hooking them up to an electic pump and a seperate radiator in front along with a small fuel cell that i have which will be holding ice for super cooling via some electonic solenoids to switch the pump from circulating through the radiator to through the ice box... kinda complecated but i think that it would be beneficial for short runs (drag strip)...

Comment

Working...
                              X