'94 Cutlass LQ1 First turbo parts gathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Cutlass LQ1 First turbo parts gathering

Don't get me wrong, she's fun, she's quick, but not fast enough.

So I got my hands on an HX40, $100.
    I had the external wastegate welded shut.
    I've located a 38mm wastegate, 9lb spring, $60

I love that inline BOV I saw in the pic on other post, $135. I plan on putting it about a foot before the MAF. I wasn't too crazy about the recirculation either.

I plan on larger injectors, but not sure how large to go, need suggestions.
    I plan on a MS, but I'm curious how far I can go on stock PCM.

almost forgot, i gotta change the map right? part numbers please.

Oh almost forgot, I gotta change the MAP right? part numbers please.
    I'd rather not replace internals....yet.
    Also need suggestions on intercooler, keep it cheap, and what others have tried that will fit.
    She's an automatic and street application. thx
    sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
    A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
    Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
    Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
    PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

42.5 lb/hr injectors are the largest you can do with a stock computer and a piggyback system that can't directly control the injectors. If you go MS, the sky is the limit. 42.5 lb/hr would = roughly double the stock horsepower, so they should be good to ~14 psi.

1G DSM BOVs work well and can be had for $20.

Does the 94 have a MAP sensor? I thought the 94 and 95 were MAF only.

The intercooler will be severely limited by what you can fit. There's not a ton of space in the front of the car due to the hood latch support. If you remove it, some fairly massive intercoolers will fit, but your hood will need a new brace.

Tim
    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

She is MAF. I wrote MS to try and make sense of which MS unit does what. Here's what they said:

Hello Andrew,

This could be done with either an off the shelf MS3, which would get you sequential injection, or a custom made MS2. You'd be looking at around $900 for the complete MS3 package; an MS2 would be somewhere around $200 lower (I'd have to run the numbers to find out exactly what the price is). Let me know what sounds best and I will get to work on a quote.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer
      DIYAutoTune.com

So based on that I go with a custom built MS2 and "The transmission control is a separate box - currently, this can be done with the GPIO board, which is sold as an unassembled kit." For trans control. I just need to find someone who can put the board together. I don't trust myself with something that tiny.

I'm a big fan of Mr. Gaskets flush hood lock system that uses a barrel key to lock the hood. Now....who sells injectors?
      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Originally posted by 95SleeperAcheiva View Post
        Don't get me wrong, she's fun, she's quick, but not fast enough.

So I got my hands on an HX40, $100.
        I had the external wastegate welded shut.
        I've located a 38mm wastegate, 9lb spring, $60

I love that inline BOV I saw in the pic on other post, $135. I plan on putting it about a foot before the MAF. I wasn't too crazy about the recirculation either.

I plan on larger injectors, but not sure how large to go, need suggestions.
        I plan on a MS, but I'm curious how far I can go on stock PCM.

almost forgot, i gotta change the map right? part numbers please.

Oh almost forgot, I gotta change the MAP right? part numbers please.
        I'd rather not replace internals....yet.
        Also need suggestions on intercooler, keep it cheap, and what others have tried that will fit.
        She's an automatic and street application. thx
        36 lb/hr injectors from the supercharged 3800 works great for me. The minimum pulse width is just below the idle and they will flow well into moderate boost.

CXRacing.com sells inexpensive intercoolers and intercooler kits. Many won't buy a turbo from them but I can attest their aluminum piping is thick and strong. The intercooler is great as well.

You won't need a 2-bar map if you are using a MAF sensor. The MAF will maintain proper fueling in boost.

A stock PCM, if tunable, can go a long way. But if your serious about MS, it is superior IMHO.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

All I can think of is, that poor, poor 4t60-E...
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            All I can think of is, that poor, poor 4t60-E...
            Ehh, find a nice old lady that will take care of it well. Step up to a man trans, step up to a 5-speed.
            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
              Step up to a man trans, step up to a 5-speed.
              Lol!

That's a good one, I like it
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

ah come on! My achieva is hitting hard with a 5k stall converter in her and that trans has 140k on it. It's staying together! (now watch it break next pass:P)

I considered a 284 swap. car-part still has those transmissions on there, alot of miles but they are still there. Cutlass never had a stick. My concern isn't getting the trans, it's getting the shifter, console, and pedals.

Comment

ah come on! My achieva is hitting hard with a 5k stall converter in her and that trans has 140k on it. It's staying together! (now watch it break next pass:P)

I considered a 284 swap. car-part still has those transmissions on there, alot of miles but they are still there. Cutlass never had a stick. My concern isn't getting the trans, it's getting the shifter, console, and pedals.
                  The shifter will fit the stock auto (unless yours is mounted on the steering wheel)....hack it off..lol Just gotta drill two new holes for bolting down.
                  AAA Shifter.JPG

I made a custom clutch pedal frame (cage). Bolted to the stock pedal assy. and sits perfectly.

Not ripping the 4t60e, just having fun.

Comment

HIS Cutty may have not had a 5 speed, but everything is still there on 94 W bodies. His is also a center console shift (I rode in that car a LONG time ago ). The pedal rack has provisions for the clutch pedal and firewall has the knock outs for shifter cables. The hardest thing is going to be the ECM because IIRC it's a flash type chip with MAF, so it's either upgrade to OBD2 or "downgrade" to OBD1. So with that said, a 5 speed swap (other than the ECM bit) is fairly simple.

As for my attitude towards the 4T60-E, I've had 2 of them break in the 91 (the first had a "Rebuilt by Hydromatic for GM" sticker on it, so that was trans #2 in the car, I put auto #3, but #2 to me, then trans #4 to the car, but 3 to me was the 284), so I feel my attitude towards them is well warranted.
                    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 11-04-2011, 01:21 PM.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      HIS Cutty may have not had a 5 speed, but everything is still there on 94 W bodies. His is also a center console shift (I rode in that car a LONG time ago ). The pedal rack has provisions for the clutch pedal and firewall has the knock outs for shifter cables. The hardest thing is going to be the ECM because IIRC it's a flash type chip with MAF, so it's either upgrade to OBD2 or "downgrade" to OBD1. So with that said, a 5 speed swap (other than the ECM bit) is fairly simple.

As for my attitude towards the 4T60-E, I've had 2 of them break in the 91 (the first had a "Rebuilt by Hydromatic for GM" sticker on it, so that was trans #2 in the car, I put auto #3, but #2 to me, then trans #4 to the car, but 3 to me was the 284), so I feel my attitude towards them is well warranted.
                      That's a plus having the provisions for the manual. I had to work with a 96 that had nothing for a manual. Lots of tap/die, drill, weld, stare and think time too.

My 4t60-e just could not keep up with the engine. I knew it was only a matter of time so I ditched it before it stranded me. Besides, a turbo 5-speed is hell-a fun!!! Especially with some Pantera on a good sound system.

Okay, I'm done hi-jacking this guys thread....lol sorry dude.

Comment

no biggie hack away, :P

I havent decided yet on the trans. besides, I have to get the tow truck done first, then get my achieva back on the track, before I can play with my street car.

Comment

no biggie hack away, :P

I havent decided yet on the trans. besides, I have to get the tow truck done first, then get my achieva back on the track, before I can play with my street car.
                          Well, if you need any help with a manual swap, send me a shout. My brain is fresh of my w-body getrag swap.

I think finding the trans mount was the hardest part to find. They are discontinued. Happens the W-Body has a special getrag 282 bellhousing, and needs the matching mount. Luckily, the mount should be easy to fabricate if it can't be found.

Comment

Working...
                          X