GT35+3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearbear3_4 View Post
    On my 3900 I run the stock 5 wire maf between the BOV and TB that way it only reads the air that will be entering the engine.
    The MAF can be pre-turbo, but the BOV would need to pipe the released intake charge back into the system (after the MAF, before the turbo) to avoid dumping already metered air. Otherwise, the BOV must be after the MAF sensor.

I too suggest the same as Bearbear3_4. It is more reliable and you get the cool BOV sound. But try to keep the BOV several inches away from the MAF. And keep the MAF atleast 6" from the Throttle body (GM's advise).
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
      The MAF can be pre-turbo, but the BOV would need to pipe the released intake charge back into the system (after the MAF, before the turbo) to avoid dumping already metered air. Otherwise, the BOV must be after the MAF sensor.
      Re-read the last part of that... it's incorrect... You want the BOV before the MAF if the MAF is after the turbo, that way the air it releases is NOT metered yet even though its gone through the turbo.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

When I mount the turbo, does the "cartridge" have to be mounted vertical?
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I think what matters most is to have the turbine shaft be parallel to the ground, and the oil drain to be between 5-7o'clock but don't quote me on that one... that's just how I've SEEN them installed.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure though.
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
              I think what matters most is to have the turbine shaft be parallel to the ground, and the oil drain to be between 5-7o'clock but don't quote me on that one... that's just how I've SEEN them installed.
              That is what's recommended

Comment

In order to prevent your turbo from spewing its seal and leaking oil everywhere, you need to have the oil drain tube angled no more or less than the 5 and 7 o'clock like Jon said. You are relying on gravity to drain the oil to the pan, therefore, you will want no restrictions in the line at any point and want the entry point to be above the oil level inside the oil pan.

Keep the compressor and turbine housing balanced/level to the ground and try not to have it tipping/leaning forward or back if possible. Additionally, keep the turbo pointed in the most efficient way to prevent from using harsh bends ( 90* ) and to keep heat soaking in mind for surrounding parts (brake booster is a common issue) .
                With certain applications and designs, a more aggressive angle can be allowed, but if avoidable, don't default to the possible headache.
                Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                  Re-read the last part of that... it's incorrect... You want the BOV before the MAF if the MAF is after the turbo, that way the air it releases is NOT metered yet even though its gone through the turbo.
                  Good catch, mental typo lol!

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                  Keep the compressor and turbine housing balanced/level to the ground and try not to have it tipping/leaning forward or back if possible
                  On that topic, during rapid acceleration (when turbo rpm is at it's highest) the direction of force isn't perpendicular to the ground. The same is for oil flow as well. If one dripped liquid while accelerating it drops at an angle in relation to the ground.

So I considered tilting the turbo forward x amount of degrees off balance at rest. When under boost the exhaust seal won't receive unnecessary force towards the rear of the car and the oil flow out will receive less resistance.

I wonder if doing such would help keep the turbine seals and shaft life last longer.
                  Last edited by TGP37; 05-27-2012, 01:36 PM.
                  1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

If you're that concerned with the oil blowing by the seals (which you shouldnt be) you could orientate the turbo cartridge to be perpendicular to the engine/trans leaving the oil to put pressure on the walls of the metal rather than the seals when gravity and gforces presents itself. Honestly, that is over thinking the situation though.
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                      If you're that concerned with the oil blowing by the seals (which you shouldnt be) you could orientate the turbo cartridge to be perpendicular to the engine/trans leaving the oil to put pressure on the walls of the metal rather than the seals when gravity and gforces presents itself. Honestly, that is over thinking the situation though.
                      I did not tilt mine, just an observation regarding longetivity. Probably more of a concern for really high boost with insane turbine rpm's.

I like your idea though, it removes any doubt. Like trying to turn a spinning wheel, the gyroscopic effect, would not be an issue. Imagine a bike wheel spinning at the speed the turbine does and then turn it. Changes in orientation definitely apply but probably too minor for street turbo.....or is it?

Comment

did 60# injectors come stock in anything?

Comment

anyone know the name of the connector used on the 3500 fuel injector?

Comment

Working...
                          X