Twin Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Charging

its a new sensation that is sweeping through... i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with twin charging. example. a turbo that feeds a roots/screw type supercharger. i'm currently saving for a desperatly needed rebuild and am wondering if this may be an option. i know with going this direction ungodly amounts of power can be made. example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg . of course this guy has loads of money and is running the super/turbo chargers differently but its basically the same idea
    Last edited by Big_Jeff; 06-11-2012, 02:56 AM.

That has to be the coolest thing I've seen in a while, thanks for sharing

If someone here were to do it, you would most likely want to be rwd with a T56 and a solid rear axle, otherwise transmissions are going to get expensive. Although the progressiveness of the power mentioned would help the components live a bit longer than a strong and sudden shock load.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

i've been thinking about this for a while... kinda like a fantsy, and those things mentioned were part of the idea. i've just been wondering how our engines are holding up to 20psi of boost...

Comment

it's just not that practical for our motors, nobody makes a roots/whipple/twinscrew for them, and the added costs don't support the gains IMO.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

why wont a roots/screw charger fit on our motors? i've been told they wont fit but never why they will not fit... theres also quite a few benifits to going this route too. you dont have to have the turbo produce insane amounts of boost. about 10 psi will do depending on the amount of boost the supercharger is making but if its 10 and 10 ( supercharger psi, and another 10 from the turbo) you end up producing much closer to 24 psi of boost instead of 20 so neither charger has to be overworked to produce large amounts of boost. i've been reading up and have found a few great articles about this subject. http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174690 this ones a great read if you've got some time. explains some of the basics.
          Last edited by Big_Jeff; 06-11-2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jeff View Post
            why wont a roots/screw charger fit on our motors? i've been told they wont fit but never why they will not fit... theres also quite a few benifits to going this route too. you dont have to have the turbo produce insane amounts of boost. about 10 psi will do depending on the amount of boost the supercharger is making but if its 10 and 10 ( supercharger psi, and another 10 from the turbo) you end up producing much closer to 24 psi of boost instead of 20 so neither charger has to be overworked to produce large amounts of boost. i've been reading up and have found a few great articles about this subject. http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174690 this ones a great read if you've got some time. explains some of the basics.
            it's not that it can't be done, it's that nobody has a kit available off the shelf to do it, and to make your own kit gets very cost prohibitive quickly.
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

what kind of fabrication would be needed to fit an m90 or m112 to a 3.4 rwd. would it be easier to do with a hybrid block? i've already got an m90, my neighbor had an extra one laying around...

Comment

it's been done, but I have yet to see it done well, I wouldn't do it with iron heads, why bother? your heads are where you make power period. yes you can put boost to them, but boost on 3x00 heads makes a good thing better. I would flip the supercharger so the outlet points up, and then modify the upper intake to redirect the air back down into the engine, similar to how it's done on a Zr1 vette. but again, it's alot of work for not alot of gain....

Comment

I wouldn't do it. It's been done before (quite a few of the GTP turbo guys started this way), but is very complex, expensive, heavy, and performance is lacking. You have to worry about intercooling both systems and finding room for both. The MP90 is great at creating hot air, but not much else. Modern turbos can have very good power throughout your RPM range. They won't have the same low end as a positive displacement supercharger, but think of it as traction control. If you are thinking about a roots type supercharger, the TVS series is MUCH more efficient than the older MP range.

Tim
                  1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                  325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

twin whipples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sTVwrOjMn4

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                      I wouldn't do it. It's been done before (quite a few of the GTP turbo guys started this way), but is very complex, expensive, heavy, and performance is lacking. You have to worry about intercooling both systems and finding room for both. The MP90 is great at creating hot air, but not much else. Modern turbos can have very good power throughout your RPM range. They won't have the same low end as a positive displacement supercharger, but think of it as traction control. If you are thinking about a roots type supercharger, the TVS series is MUCH more efficient than the older MP range.

Tim
                      I have witnessed an older GP w/M90 run altitude-corrected high-12s in CO, with nothing but a smaller pulley, bigger injectors, E85 in the tank, and a tune. That's not too shabby.......
                      1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
                      Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
                      = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

I think Shane's old Z34 Lumina with a L67 swap was pulling similar times at Bandimere. The L67's can be made quite fast (compared with stock) on the M90, but when it comes time to make big power, it's just not there. The TVS series seems to be much more efficient at making big numbers (I just saw a TVS2300 dyno video that was over 1000 hp and 900 ft-lbf).

Tim
                        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Working...
                        X