how much boost before boom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
    Turbo failure, what it can do. Don't waste all your hard work for a few 16 psi runs on stock pistons, etc.

Even though the video is based on a diesel, just 1 time w/o a proper tune or simply just too much boost can ruin it all just like that.

First problem, it's a powerstroke. Second problem.. it's a 6.0

If you want to have a reliable engine to take 16 psi, it'd be in your best interest to build your bottom end. Hopefully your 3500 has the forged crank, because you'd already be off to a good start
    You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
    ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
    95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
      Turbo failure, what it can do. Don't waste all your hard work for a few 16 psi runs on stock pistons, etc.

Even though the video is based on a diesel, just 1 time w/o a proper tune or simply just too much boost can ruin it all just like that.

that failure isn't the type of failure my car would likely undergo due to too much boost. it's really not a good example, my car would be more likely to sling a rod out the side of the block, or eat a piston.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I've ran 20ish psi for a while so far (15K miles and no signs of problems and that's with a poopy tune [really rich]) . My weak link is the trans. I've tried to run 30 psi and it wasn't reliable at all. After a few motors I've safely concluded that it will need a really deep investment of machine shop time ( $ ) to make it reliable (40k miles + ) .
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

like I said, I plan to have it pro tuned. and it's not like it'll hit 16 PSI every time I drive it...
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I believe you ericjon, just trying to be helpful. I would rather see anyone succeed then face a blown motor.

Have you considered forged pistons? I decided to go hypers, so far I boosted up to 12 psi and the motor held. The first thing that started to fail was the 4t60e autotrans. So I suppose 16 is possible......how long it lasts, I honestly don't know.

For a city street performance car, 12 psi is a lot. 8 psi is still freaking awesome, and this is in a 96 GP. The 96GP is a fat pig compared to the fiero.

The video may have been a bad example but it still shows how fast a little thing can snowball into a complete rebuild.

Good Luck and have fun with it.
            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

well, this engine is the temp engine anyways, I plan to get another and do a full build, so if something pops. oh well. to be honest, I'm more worried about my clutch than I am my bottom end...

Comment

Working...
              X