Blow Off Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow Off Valve

How far do you want your BOV away from MAF? (Obviously a post turbo MAF system) Also, post or pre intercooler best?
    You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
    ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
    95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

About 6-10 inches. You want the MAF 6 inches from the TB so if you have the BOV 6 inches from that you are prob post intercooler.

Comment

I don't run a MAF, but I would assume a minimum of a foot, if possible because of the turbulence it could cause and throw off MAF readings. As far as before or after the intercooler, I would run I before. That way every bit of a cooled by it is used, not half of it vented and wasted and you use every bit of your intercooler efficiency.

Edit: and ninja'd

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

So is it 6 inches or 12+? :P 6 inches would be no problem, 12+ i'll just have to put it in my fender well.

Comment

I would guess from what I've been reading it's a minimum of 6 inches on each side of it so air has a chance to settle down and give a more accurate reading. That's why the honeycomb is in there, to help smooth flow.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            I would guess from what I've been reading it's a minimum of 6 inches on each side of it so air has a chance to settle down and give a more accurate reading. That's why the honeycomb is in there, to help smooth flow.

Just like with a water faucet. Helps keeps things organized.

Comment

Here's mine. I'm not sure how far it is, but it works well. I had it after the MAF for a while. The fireballs were cool, but the noise and occasional stalling that resulted weren't... This is a MUCH better way to go.

Some BOVs are integrated into the turbo, others are right next to the throttle body. There are benefits of each. I would try to put it at least 6" away from the MAF sensor and before the MAF sensor. Other than that, put it wherever it fits.

Tim
              103_0328.jpg
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

never mind... Didn't realize this was a blow through maf setup...

You have one choice.. Pre maf or deal with metered air being discharged and the richness of that.
                Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM.

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I would prefer to run a pre turbo MAF, but for now I'm running a post. I moved the MAF a little more than 6 inches from the TB (But it should be ok). The BOV is 12ish inches away from the MAF and is tucked in the wheel well. It's a very tight fit in the wheel well since the air filter, and both charge pipes are in there. But everything fit after some trimming. The car runs great and everything is working, except my wastegate opens at 10 psi instead of 6.. But the BoV seems to be doing its job!

Comment

No issues here. Blow Threw MAF and BOV is 1.5-2ft from TB
                    Shane "RedZMonte"
                    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Almost exactly like mine, just the head of mine faces the engine. Do you drive it in the winter at all? And is your ET at Bandimere?

Comment

Working...
                      X