Got Spark in Your Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Spark in Your Turbo?

Sometimes... the answers to mechanical problems are more simple than we think. If your turbocharged or supercharged engine pops and breaks up around three grand or so... this little video might save you some time and money while solving the problem of a seemingly inadequate or malfunctioning high energy ignition system:

Synapse Engineering is a world leader in the design and development of turbocharger and boosted components. We make horsepower!

I would upgrade the ignition still. especially if you're having the kind of hardcore blowout my buddies supercharged mustang was experiencing, because you will make more power with a wider gap.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I think upgraded ignitions are great, but the article is spot on. There's no sense spending hundreds of $$ on an ignition system when most modern stock systems are incredibly good. Changing spark plugs to a different heat range (and preferably Iridium as well) is a MUST for any boosted application, but something that often gets overlooked. I bought a SC kit recently for another car and the funny thing was it came with spark plugs (8 of them). Rarely does an aftermarket vendor put that much thought, effort, and expense into their product.

For our cars, I doubt many people will find the limit of the stock ignition and coil packs. I think maintenance of 20 yr old coil packs, wires, and spark plugs is the bigger issue. And with maintenance comes the choice to stay stock, or upgrade.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Once I started pushing 8psi the stock plugs started to misfire around 3400 rpm and up.

Went one plug cooler and gaped at 75% (0.045). Runs real smooth all the way up and cost FAR less then an ignition upgrade.

Many people consider our 60v6 ignitions as an upgrade itself. Using 0.045 gap isn't bad at all for a turbo mod on a non-turbo engine. Idles nice.

I tried 0.050 and that was the limit to noticeable misfire. So backing off to 0.045 seemed appropriate.

All on a 96 3100
        Last edited by TGP37; 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
          Many people consider our 60v6 ignitions as an upgrade itself.
          I've seen sparks jump around 2" on our stick ignition systems. I'm not concerned with upgrading it, especially when a tighter gap and different heat range on a plug can fix a misfire.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I'm running the 660 ignition system on my Nissan L-series engine, with a turbo. SCR is around 9:1, and have no problem with spark up to 6500 RPM and 20 PSIG of boost. I do have an MSD DIS-4 but have not found a reason to install it. *shrug*

Just watched the video...

When did the heat ranges invert?

Last time I checked a 9 heat range was warmer than a 7.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              I've seen sparks jump around 2" on our stick ignition systems. I'm not concerned with upgrading it, especially when a tighter gap and different heat range on a plug can fix a misfire.

I've seen stock HEI's do that, jumping atmosperic pressure and 20-30 times it are two totally different things though.
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                I've seen stock HEI's do that, jumping atmosperic pressure and 20-30 times it are two totally different things though.
                I know this, but even at 2" the spark was really bright and strong.

Besides, look at Ravens Nissan. That's a pretty tall order for a stock system to fill, no problem.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                X