Best build for boost and n/a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Best build for boost and n/a

Interested for my own project but also real curious what all would bring together a motor 3400sfi in this case so that I could say finish the build then drive it for 2 months then turbo it and besides tune which I know would need to be changed..what would be a good set of mods that could be used and work on both boost and good old air, thanks for your responses in advance

The Street Strip turbo cam would be a damn good start. i am running one N/A in a 3.5 and it makes VERY good power, and very good power after you add the turbo as well.
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

I was thinking of getting it re ground since I have 2 stock cams with 22xxx and 18xxx miles on them respectively, but how Lopey is that street strip cam anyways?

Comment

I think no one regrinds the stock ones because they are hollow and can have problems.
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

no lope at all. idles like stock pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
            I think no one regrinds the stock ones because they are hollow and can have problems.
            There are a couple out there, but they offer 0 warranty and I wouldn't recommend it. But for the price, might as well good one from Wot-Tech. I too would recommend their street/turbo cam. Mine is a bit more aggresive and I have zero issues DDing it.
            You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
            ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
            95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

After further investigation the re grind is a no go for me, so can will be done I'd like something with a decent lope but will love the added boost..like a top end suggestion for maybe 330 boosted hp and 225 or so n/a pre boost and drivable, it is a DD I need everything from cam to tuning to springs valves I'm doing my own heads and manis already have headers so what specific combos would y'all consider best for my needs

Comment

Never regrind the hollow core cams. You can however regrind a stock solid core cam. Thats what I did back in '07 and it's been great. The cams from wot are still the best choice though.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Yeah ^ this guys knows what's up. He has the second fastest 3500 Camaro.

Ahh, that wasn't even really that funny.

Comment

Haha!
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Trying to build an engine that will run well both naturally aspirated and turbocharged will end up with compromises. You either build it with intentions of running it N/A and then add a turbo to it will be compromised on the turbo side. Building it to run turbocharged and then running it N/A will have less than optimal N/A characteristics.

The biggest compromise IMO is the cam. Turbochargers generally do not like engines that have a lot of cam overlap, while N/A engines in general prefer to have plenty of overlap for scavenging reasons.

Any reason you don't want to add the turbo right away?

If it were me and I HAD to run my engine N/A for a while I would build it with the intentions of having the turbo on it. This would include a cam that will work well in turbocharging, a static compression ratio that would be in the mid 9s, if not higher (I don't agree with conventional "wisdom" in dropping the SCR down to ridiculous levels), and injectors that will support my ultimate power goal along with related fuel system parts. This should create an engine that drives very well when not in boost, much like a stock vehicle, and then when the turbocharger is added the added power will be a welcome addition.

Comment

Certain cams perform well in both situations. That one Corvette cam comes to mind, either LS6 or LS7 I forget which it's like 204/218 on a 117 LSA which sounds like a turbo cam, but comes stock in the N/A vette.

Not sure how that applies to our V6's at all, but it is very popular for boosted GenIII V8's. I'm researching those alot lately...

Comment

Working...
                        X