No announcement yet.

3400 turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why not just go with the turbo I suggested? I did all the homework for you already

Comment

well honestly, I didnt really find any good "reviews" on google. plus I cant find a map for it... im trying to find something in that range tho
      sigpic
      88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

You will find a bunch of reviews for the 60-1 because its an old school turbo thats been out for nearly 20 years. Its old school compressor technology. You won't find much on the one I recommended because its a fairly new turbo. Why put a turbo that old on your car especially when its used? Don't buy used turbos unless you know who you are buying from.

The turbo I recommended is going to be better for your map then the 60-1. It will be more efficient everywhere. You think the turbo I recommended is going to be vastly different than the 60-1 being as the one I brought up is nearly the same size? Besides, you admitted you don't know how to read a comp map anyways.

If you want a 61mm turbo(which the 60-1 is), than get the billet 6262. If you want it to be a little laggier then get the 6266 with a .82 a/r or larger on the exhaust housing.

The first turbo I suggested would work just fine the amount of power you plan to make, the amount of boost you plan to run, and the efficiency of your motor plus it has a great price point.

you don't want to put a diesel turbo on your car, but you want to put an old school 60-1 on it? Makes no sense.

You could also go with a Precision SC6152E. It uses a GT35R compressor wheel in a journal bearing housing. Thats a 61mm compressor wheel for reference. GT35R compressor maps are available on Garrets website.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxsmt View Post
          well honestly, I didnt really find any good "reviews" on google. plus I cant find a map for it... im trying to find something in that range tho
          that's your first problem, you don't look at turbo reviews on google, go to The Turbo Forums, or somewhere with a larger knowledge base on turbos specifically.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

it might be old, but it has had a lot of updates over the years. and its still being sold for a reason. I am not an expert thats why I asked for help, I like to do my research to back up what Im told to be on the safe side. no offense to anybody. I couldnt find anything about the 5252 on the turbo forums.

ill post the maps, you tell me what one is the best. maybe Im reading them wrong? Im just going off the maps, thats how I came across the 60-1, it seems like it was the best match! I like to see stuff before I buy it, precision doesnt have maps!!! to me thats guessing. thats all im saying. maps for similar turbos are different. I just cant varify what you tell me due to the map issue.

to my knowledge, you want to be in the center circle. more boost the higher you are on the map. I honestly dont know how much it really matters with how low of boost I plan to run but im the guy that cc matched and polished combustion chambers because its better. real gains? probably not. its just how I am, I try to be as technically prefect as I can. I have spend everyday this week online researching and learning for about 6 hours a day
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Alxsmt; 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Pushrod are old technology too. Way over 20 years.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

If you like the 60-1 and it matches your application, go for it. After all it is your car and the turbo isn't a bad choice.

Few things can kill a turbo fast. Of them, be sure the oil feed/drain is 100% and the BOV works properly and isn't leaking.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                  Pushrod are old technology too. Way over 20 years.

Old tools are good tools cause they passed the test of time. and it helps when my old hag pushrod is blowing away newer cars with "more" power.
                  1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                    Old tools are good tools cause they passed the test of time. and it helps when my old hag pushrod is blowing away newer cars with "more" power.
                    My car turns 21 this year. (22 if you want to be technical)

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

yeah to me it seems like it matches pretty good. I want to know why the precision is better (proof) or if im reading the map wrong or missing something. could be very possible! chances are im ordering it sunday or through a local shop tomorrow if they can get me a good deal on it since they will be tunning it. again.
                      sigpic

Comment

untitled.bmp
                        the turbo im REALLY considering.

not 100% sure if I want the .82 or .85 hot side. going ball bearing due to quality. it will spool faster tho.. is there another way to make it take longer to spool other than swap out housings? seems like electronics boost controllers can help with spool if I remember right.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alxsmt View Post
                          yeah to me it seems like it matches pretty good. I want to know why the precision is better (proof) or if im reading the map wrong or missing something. could be very possible! chances are im ordering it sunday or through a local shop tomorrow if they can get me a good deal on it since they will be tunning it. again.
                          The proof that the new billet wheels are better is the hp, and the qtr mile times that the cars run on them after switching. Be it Precision, or a Holset or Garret or whoever. They are more aerodynamic, weigh less, and stronger materials. They have the ability to run insane boost levels, not that you ever will, because the overall wheel design is better. You will not find any comp maps for the precision billet wheels because it costs too much money to have them done.

Also noone knows if you are plotting the maps wrong, because you have failed to show your math in what you are using to calculate your plots.

And I am going to correct myself. The 60-1 is a 59mm compressor wheel.

a .82 or a .85 isn't going to make any difference in spool. It will be unnoticeable so you can go with either one.

Comment

Big Cheese is right about the math. Be sure those figures are spot on. It's okay to ask questions about input variables. Better ask now instead of asking why it doesn't work the way the map said it would after you buy it.

As a good reference, I use a T04E-50 on my 3100v6. And I love it, spools up nicely while still allowing a low throttle range out of boost for city driving.

Now, your block is larger so it is too small for your engine, though just barely too small. So if you map out a T04E-50 and it is just barely too small, then your numbers are not too far off.

Comment

to me it seems like they would get some maps. guess I cant understand everything... and yes the t04E-50 is just slightly too small.

but anyways, I talked to the guys the shop I got my car tuned at. one of them has a precision sitting on his dresser waiting for the install lol, they like them and run them all the time. at the end of the day I ended up going with the turbonetics 60-1. garrett version was $1500! they dont even have that listed on the website..

I guess we will see how it does. thanks for the info and opinions! Im sure Ill ask more random things about the setup
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm using a Garrett GT35 62AR for my 3400/3500 build. Matching the turbo to thew build is so important. You need to make sure the mapping is right for your car.
                                "Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"

Comment

Working...
                                X