Turbo Fuel Pressure Regulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Turbo Fuel Pressure Regulators

Looking for any recommendations and feedback/experience on fuel pressure regulators for use with boost?

What are other people using how well do they work?

In for answers too.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Although I am selling my supercharger I got the adjustable from racetronix. And their f body fuel pump and harness

Comment

Stock is best.

Never broke a stock one, they take boost quite nicely. No custom lines required, ect.
        11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
        10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
          Stock is best.

Never broke a stock one, they take boost quite nicely. No custom lines required, ect.
          That's true, stock FPRs will do the job. I am using a stock type now at over 10 psi.

There are still times when it's handy to have an adjustable regulator. For example, when the vacuum at idle is less than stock, like at higher altitude, or higher idle RPM is used, the base fuel pressure can change. Also, stock regulators vary for different years. The 1999 Alero V6 regulator runs at 35 psi, the 2003 at 45 psi. There was another 6 cyl GM FPR that looked identical to those but was rated even higher. Each used different rated injectors, and of course aftermarket injectors vary, too. If you ever need to change injectors in the course of optimizing the setup, that versatility is nice.

Also, the way the stock FPR and return line is positioned in certain engines tends to heat up the fuel going back to into the pump canister.
          1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
          Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
          = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

I need almost 90 PSI. Can a stock one do that? Also are they manifold pressure referenced?

Comment

yes on manifold pressure referenced....

are you sure the injectors won't be hydraulically locked at 90PSI? even if they're not, their opening times will be seriously hampered.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Ran stock regulators but that what the chip required and had the injector capacity. No problems what so ever. Even for a 20 year old regulator. Only regulator that sucked for me was my grand am regulator its a 2003 so it has a slightly higher pressure than the gen2 early gen3 but went through 2 where the diaphram leaked fuel into the vacuum hose. That was stock not boosted.

90 psi requires a name brand regulator like aeromotive. or maybe your looking at a FMU like the Vortec .
                88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

WellI need 90 PSI because the injectors are sided for 52 PSI. 90 PSI is worse case running more than 30 PSI of boost which I won't ever do. SO I guess I could get away with 75 to 85 PSI. I just was curious what everyone is running. It looks like I'll go with an aftermarket fuel pump module that electronically throttles the fuel pump. Thats what ZR1s, CTS-Vs and the new Camaro ZL1 do.

Comment

I ran stock FPR on my cars. when i went turbo before tune i used a Vortech FMU as well as the stock FPR. it would run a stock pressure at idle and with the FMU and a 12:1 disc it would increase pressure 12lbs for every 1lb of boost. they have different discs to give you different pressures like 10:1, 8:1, 6:1. this will be ideal. it will connect to the return line on your stock fuel system and feed pressure source from a vac line on the manifold.

Otherwise a aftermarket adjustable FPR will do what you want if you want to set it to a specific pressure all the time. Our cars have a return fuel system so it again goes in line with the stock fuel return line and is ajustable without removing anything... set screw or a bolt.

S
                    Shane "RedZMonte"
                    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
                      WellI need 90 PSI because the injectors are sided for 52 PSI. 90 PSI is worse case running more than 30 PSI of boost which I won't ever do. SO I guess I could get away with 75 to 85 PSI. I just was curious what everyone is running. It looks like I'll go with an aftermarket fuel pump module that electronically throttles the fuel pump. Thats what ZR1s, CTS-Vs and the new Camaro ZL1 do.
                      With 30 psi boost, 90 psi fuel line shouldn't be a problem. The 30 psi boost will help open the plunger, reducing the probability of hydro locking them.

Making the injectors act as if they are spraying from 60psi fuel lines into atmospheric pressure.

I'm sure you knew that, just pointing it out in case.

btw, I use stock regulator as well up to 12psi no problems.
                      Last edited by TGP37; 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM.
                      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                        Stock is best.

Which year/make do you recommend? I think mine finally failed by what the gauge is reading.
                        You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                        ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                        95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Originally posted by Z26-T View Post
                          Which year/make do you recommend? I think mine finally failed by what the gauge is reading.
                          makes no difference ^

either the 43 psi or the 55 psi. I went with an aftermarket one now due to easier plumbing...

I run my areomotive one at 43 with 60# injectors.
                          11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                          10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                          X