anyone use a 14b on a 3400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use a 14b on a 3400?

Someone gave me a freebee perfect 14b dsm turbo, I'm tempted to do a midship/rear mount on the montanna. Ive used them before on turbo projects and they are a stout turbo but I'm still a little foggy on turbo maps and haven't found much VE info on the 3400. I know most would consider this a small turbo but I'm looking for a very fast spool to increase light throttle drivability and only 6-7psi, plus a downstream turbo usually is sized a tad smaller. I plan on porting the exhaust side as well, I built a very fast 2nd gen dsm once upon a time with a ported 14b. So if anyone has tried it or is really good at reading comp. maps I am curious about what rpm it would spool and if it would end up choking the engine. Although this van stock is pretty quick for what it is, and it does happen from time to time, the idea of embarrassing people in a minivan is fun

4 cylinder turbos are usually too small. I would definitely not go any smaller than a GT30ish size. GT35 is ideal IMO.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Well turbos aren't really sized for a number of cylinders, its about VE, and cfm requirements of the engine, was kinda looking for real world experience, someone has to have tried it. The 14b is sized a little large for a factory turbo, it had noticeable lag on the 2L Mitsubishi, which is why they went to the smaller t25 in the second gen. The dohc mitsu likely has a much higher VE than a pushrod 3.4l, and can spin faster in stock form, I would think it may do low boost without choking up top, I'll probably try it anyway when I get some free time.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        GT35 is ideal IMO.
        Would love to put a gt35 in, def not in the budget though

Comment

No one that I know of has used a 14b on a 660. They are considered too small for the application.

I'm pretty sure Caffeine knows how turbos are sized. He was speaking in generalities, that generally a turbo that was originally used on a 4 cyl will be too small for the V6s we play with. Exception being large diesel 4 cylinder engines, but that's a whole different line of discussion.

If you want to try it, try it. But the rest of us would likely go with something larger, to have better controlled onset of boost ( a wastegate, especially an internal gate) will only do so much here, and not choke on the top end.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
            No one that I know of has used a 14b on a 660. They are considered too small for the application.

I'm pretty sure Caffeine knows how turbos are sized. .
            Yeah sorry if I came off wrong, I know its way to small for the app for any kind of power, I was kind of thinking it might improve around town part throttle response, feel sort of like a bigger engine. Vw did this with the 1.8t and the dinky ko3 turbo, zero lag, 7psi drops at 4k and tapers to 0 at redline, slow yes but around town it just feels like a larger engine, not a gutless 4 banger that your always hammering on to get a little boost up and get moving. Who knows I'll give it a shot, remote mounts are always just a sawzal and tack weld away from another flange. Any one know the cfm requirements of a stock la1 at redline or have a VE chart?

Comment

Working...
            X