Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on an lz9 nitrous setup

Hey everyone,
    I am very interested in adding a wet kit to my lz9 and was wondering if anyone had any advice or pictures of this done to help me out.

This is going in an 06 malibu maxx ss. I would love to gain the same results via a cam and some other intake work but I havent seen much out there in this department.
    I have a full nitrous kit sitting around from an old car. Warmer, Solenoids, Window Switch, WOT switch, etc. I know the mechanical WOT switch is useless on this fly by wire setup so I will have to find another way on that one.

I also need some advice on a way to have a secondary tune on the car when the nitrous is being used. I have a tune by WAMS and believe that may interfere with using nitrous.

Thanks

Tune wise it depends on how much nitrous you plan on using... I was running a 100 shot and my driving tune was good enough to use with the nitrous and not have any issues. It's only a suggestion to remove timing because they assume your currently running the max degrees possible before Knock which would make you knock when running with nitrous... That's not always true.

I am one of very few who run nitrous on a regular basis... I had a single foger nozzle in the TB spacer between my 3500 intake and 65mm TCE TB... Next year it will be a direct port setup.

Throttle setup for you, well you could put a micro switch under the dash to get depressed by the pedal when your at WOT, Otherwise you will have to pick up a micro progressive controller this unit is similar to what I have but mine was sold by DynoTune nitrous

They have another that doesn't appear to be progressive.

Both would work using a 0-5v TPS signal which I'm sure you can get either from the TB going to the ECU, OR from the pedal going to the ECU.

This was my old setup.

Tap for fuel

All of this is changing for next year... I need to tap the fuel line coming from the tank rather than right off the rail and split that to two separate fuel pressure regulators. One for the injectors themselves and another for the nitrous since being 6 nozzles it will have to run at a lower fuel pressure to allow for a larger fuel jet to prevent clogs.
    Possible line routings...

I still have a lot of planning to do...
    Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 12-01-2014, 09:05 AM.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I ran a 75 shot with no tuning on a push button for drag racing one year. I went through the bottle and then sold the setup again.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I would move those distro blocks to be as far away from the headers/exhaust manifolds as possible.

Comment

Yeah, it's still a work in progress... That rendition I was trying to keep the lines all equal length. I'm being told now it doesn't matter as much as one would think.

Got Lope?
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

There's a point in which length will and will not matter. Locution to a compression read-out; just be sure the averaged length of line used is not significantly different.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

i need some of those plenum spacers.

Comment

In all honesty they are pretty easy to get made, maybe not cheap tho. Just find a machine shop that can copy the paper gaskets profile and voila you have spacers.

Got Lope?

Comment

Thank you for all the advice!

Caffeine, I would do a push button setup with just a window, however this is my car for hauling around my daughter and all her stuff so it needs to have all the safeties and shutoffs because every now and again someone else drives it.

I would love to do some cam and head work to achieve my goal however I havent been able to find too many examples of what to do in terms of programming and all that.
                  I'd even be willing to just take it to a shop and have it done professionally but I can't find any shops around me (chicago) that have any experience with this platform.

Is there an 'upgrade bible' sort of thing for the lz9?

Comment

Switch under the pedal with an arming switch is probably gonna be the most cost effective solution
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Yeah, I think I am gonna go with the one that reads the voltage off the TPS though. I have all the other parts that I need other than application specific adapters so it shouldnt be too expensive. This thing has adjustable pedals and drive by wire so I could see that going bad with a pedal switch.

Comment

Being drive by wire though there isn't a TPS. Which is why you probably need a special controller to tap into the drive by wire system
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                          Being drive by wire though there isn't a TPS. Which is why you probably need a special controller to tap into the drive by wire system
                          Ah ok, good to know that is not what it is called in that type of setup.

Comment

I'm sure there is a 5v signal coming from the pedal on some wire or the tb so the ecu knows where either one is...

Got Lope?

Comment

Working...
                            X