No announcement yet.

How much boost and hp can a 98 3100 handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just never done a turbo engine build im just worried about blowing my piston rings,heads ect. Do I need to upgrade my injectors,my piston rings,what mods would I need to do to run 13lb of boost (maybe less) without a completely built motor I want good power with good reliability

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Comment

The engine itself would be the same whether it's turbocharged or supercharged. It doesn't care where the pressurized air comes from it will just react the same. So the same things you would do to a supercharged engine are the same things you will do to a turbocharged engine.

Comment

Ok got it o just thought I would be different because a sc blows air one way and you just need a good set of header and exhaust for it to flow out and a turbo makes back pressure and pressurizes the whole engine but I guess its the same principle what turbo would you recommend for a 3400 with a p&p and mostly stock I might get the milsie turbo cam and 1.6 rollers

Comment

I most likely will rebuild the bottom end new rod bearings ,rings ect

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
            The engine itself would be the same whether it's turbocharged or supercharged. It doesn't care where the pressurized air comes from it will just react the same. So the same things you would do to a supercharged engine are the same things you will do to a turbocharged engine.
            Not so much. Turbocharged engines need the top ring gap opened up to handle the higher piston-crown temperatures, oil cooler generally will be fitted, cam specs will be closer to a N/A cam with short-ish duration. Lobe separation angle varies from mild to wild, with 30-40 degrees of overlap not being uncommon. Exhaust ports will be sized to flow 75% to 80% of the intake port, similar to a N/A port job. Many people opt to retain a stock-weight flywheel in lieu of a lightened flywheel. Crankshaft preparation is generally not special. Uprated connecting rod bolts are suggested in many applications, but as the turbo produces good mid-range response an extended RPM range isn't usually required, so no massive need for super-tight balancing or lightweight reciprocating components.

Positive Displacement supercharged engines will have the top and second ring gaps opened up as higher sustained piston temperatures will be common, oil cooler not normally needed, but sometimes an uprated radiator is needed. Cam specs will generally have a 10-14* split favoring the exhaust lobe duration, but won't be short on intake duration either-wide lobe separation is normal to maintain 20-30 degrees of overlap with the longer intake duration and even longer exhaust duration. Port work may include a stock or even reduced intake valve size with an enlarged exhaust valve, with porting pushing the exhaust flow up to 85% or better of the intake flow. Port cross-sectional area is usually increased, although not to extremes. Rotating assembly generally upgraded to deal with the increased stresses on the crankshaft snout as well as damping any torsional vibrations backfed from the supercharger. As with turbocharging, extended RPM ranges aren't normally required so going to extremes with lightweight reciprocating components isn't needed.

Centrifugal supercharging would be prepped similar to a high-revving N/A engine, with again, slightly enlarged ring gaps and specifically upgraded connecting rod hardware, very tight balancing job, and lightweight flywheel. Port work is generally prepared similar to a N/A engine, but with a port cross-sectional area larger than usual, to keep port velocity down once the supercharger starts making boost. Power delivery is normally linear and so the increased stresses go up with RPM, AND go up with boost, so the focus in a centrifugal supercharged engine is in reciprocating mass and the rotating assembly being able to handle the stresses. Since boost is directly proportional to RPM, centrifugal engines are generally prepped for high-RPM usage.

None of the above really apply until you're building an engine from the ground up *specifically* for the above different usages, because unless you're aiming for a limited-life, no-holds-barred racing engine, build the engine as you would for a 100,000 mile service life from the headgaskets down. From the headgaskets up, the decisions made are directly related to the power goals of the engine-NOT the route you choose to get there. Deviations from this generally are due to personal reasons or known weak components, like in this case upgraded valve springs, not generally due to the type of service.
            Last edited by Xnke; 08-17-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Im really just shooting for about 300-350 at the wheels nothing to crazy ones there I'll get the rest of my performance for suspension ,a welded rear end (for now) and making it as light as possible gutted lift off fg hood im going to look in to a plexiglass rear window cuz that like 200+lbs it self I have the a/c delete pully already its gonna be a streetable drift car like my old iroc 350 sc 5speed tremic welded rear end roll cage ect I just want to do a v6 f body now plus turbo might be fun but milsie dosent have anything really for the 3.1 f bodys any were you guy know of that has part for my build like turbo headers ect

Comment

Hey this is joshua52mcclain my acount got messed up but I've been working on my newest project the 91 3.1 firebird 5 speed but I found a td-04 out of a saab I think it would be to small for my 3.1 but if I found a second one would they be the right flow for my mostly stock 3.1

Comment

TD-04 is too small for a subaru 2.5L engine so I wouldn't try it on a 3.1 unless your saying with two you want to twin turbo it.

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yea I figured it'd be to small on it own and I was kinda planning on upgrading it if I planned on going with a twin td04 but what would you suggest for a single or twin turbo ?

Comment

In order to make an educated guess at that, we need more information.

TD-04 tells us the frame size and turbine wheel, we need the complete type number. It will follow the format below:

T - Turbocharger
                      D - turbine revision
                      04- turbine size
                      H - turbine revision

Followed by the compressor definition, which will be a two-digit number followed by a single letter.

For example, TD03-08A is the smallest turbo I see often, it's from the Volvo S80 2.8L inline six engine. Two are used. Another example is TD06-17C, which is the turbocharger used on the Syclone/Typhoon.

Comment

Td04hl-19t

Comment

19T is a little big for twins, but too small for a single. It's usable if you had two.

Comment

Really? It looks pretty small it looked way to small to run single but idk this will be first turbo build

Comment

I won't be dropping a turbo in until I build another motor but what should I start looking for for a twin turbo set and can't I buy a larger compressor wheel and have the housing ported to fit. i can just save the td04 for something else. What would you suggest for a twin set up?

Comment

Hey so Im about to get started but I was wondering what your using for tuning im planning on spending the money on the megasqirt 2 so once I swap the 3.1 to the 3400 and do the top swap ( im gonna follow ravens advice) I can tune it without all the bs of burning my stock ecu then to once I turbo I can tune it so I can drive it to get properly tuned and be able to mess with it as I learn and makes I easier to change things later on

Comment

Working...
                                X