Custom Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Supercharger

HI i bought a Eaton 90 Supercharger off a SC thunderbird i was trying to devise a plan to install it on my 95 3100 engine.The only problem im wondering about is that the intake is not on the same side as the pulleys so id have to make an intake off the supercharger in front of the engine and curve back into th TB>do you guys think this would work.It would be nice if i could go right out the Supercharger and into the TB with out haveing it curve but it might not make any Difference.Thanks Jer
    1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI
    Cold Air K&N Filter
    58mm TB
    Dynomax Duel Exhaust with Performance Catalytic Converter
    FFP Underdrive Crank Pulley
    1/4 mile 15.65 at 90.8 mph

It is possible, but it will take a lot of fabrication. I am doing the exact same thing, but to a 3.4/3400 hybrid in a X-11 chassis. I am not running AC, so the alternator goes where the AC used to be, and the SC mounts in the space just vacated by the alternator. I am mounting the SC so that the inlet faces the driver?s side of the engine, and the outlet faces down. The plumbing from the outlet of the SC down and around to the intake manifold is a very tight fit.

There was a 3400 SC kit available for a while, using the M62 Eaton SC. It mounted on the front of the engine, but used a driveshaft extension to move the blower over to the driver?s side of the car. Unfortunately, only a dozen or so of these kits were sold, so it was discontinued.

Here?s a pic of the M62 setup:

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Here is a pic showing my setup. I don't have any current pics showing the plumbing, but you can get an idea of how it is mounted.

Marty

Quote of the week:
      This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Okay let me get this straight the supercharger somehow has to go behind the Throttle body?So this will mean i would have to mount my throttle body somewhere else and maybe move throttle cables,this is on a 95 3100 engine.The supercharger i got is a Eaton 90 off a 90 thunderbird air goes in back and is pumped out front.
        Cold Air K&N Filter
        58mm TB

Comment

That M62 looks like the supercharger, on the new saturn ion redline!

1992 Lumina Z34 | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Getrag 284 |
          1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E |

Comment

Originally posted by jweir22
            Okay let me get this straight the supercharger somehow has to go behind the Throttle body?So this will mean i would have to mount my throttle body somewhere else and maybe move throttle cables,this is on a 95 3100 engine.The supercharger i got is a Eaton 90 off a 90 thunderbird air goes in back and is pumped out front.
            I'm familiar with the Ford blwer. The one in my picture is an M90 from a '94 Thunderbird. There are two ways to do a supercharger setup. The first is a blow-through setup, with the TB mounted on the intake manifold in the stock location. The supercharger mounts between the air filter and the TB, and blows boosted air through the TB. This method is used with most centrifigal superchargers.

The other method relocates the TB upstream of the SC so that the SC sucks air through the TB. This is how the Eaton M62 kit is setup. Every Eaton SC setup I have seen uses this methd as well.

To do this, you will need to fabricate an inlet pipe for the SC that mounts the TB, and an outlet pipe that goes from the SC outlet to the intake manifold.

You could try the blow-through method, but I am not sure how it will work with the Eaton. You will need to get a compressor bypass valve (blow-off valve) to relieve pressure when the throttle is closed.

Marty

Quote of the week:

Comment

Just wondering how your SC is going to fit once you have it in your car in my 3100 i have no room to put mine there,and are you you going to use one serpintine belt?NOw that i look closer you moved your alternator was that a difficult procedure?
              Cold Air K&N Filter
              58mm TB

Comment

Quite nicely, actually. I am lucky that the Citation engine compartment is roomy compared to a lot of the later cars. I had to move the wiper motor slightly, but that's about it. The alternator wasn't hard at all. I welded a plate to the AC compressor bracket, and this put the alternator at just about the right place, I am planning to run a single serpentine belt. It isn't good to have the highest power drawing accessory (the SC in this case) last in line along the belt (it will put more load on the bearings of all the upsteam accessories), but I don't put a lot of miles on my car, so I am not worried.

Marty

Quote of the week:

Comment

Did anyone find the one guy that actually put the eaton M-90 in his 3100 engine.
                  Cold Air K&N Filter
                  58mm TB

Comment

Are you talking about McGavin? The Beretta owner who mounted it to the top of the plenum and therefore had to drive the car without a hood? Gay if you ask me...
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hahhaha thats funny but did it work cause i could do some hood mods i already got a scoop so i could cut the hood out.
                      Cold Air K&N Filter
                      58mm TB

Comment

Working...
                      X