Turbo with a carb???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doubt_Incarnate
    i thought that in maximum boost they stated that since carbs work on the pricipal of a pressure change, the necessary fuel was already there, you just need to up the fuel pressure to counter the boost pressure. but its been a while since i cracked that book, since boost for me is far away $$$ wise.
    Re-read that chapter, that's the problem with carbs, they work on presure differential. When you are force feeding the engine, there is no longer a pressure differential, or at least less of one, since both sides of the venturi are presurized, hense the desired boost. This becomes a problem when trying to build a blow through turbo set-up.

Comment

Its very possible to do this isnt it???

Comment

Originally posted by IXLR8
        Its very possible to do this isnt it???
        You mean build a blow-through set up? By all means it is quite possible, you just have to modify the carb properly and do a little work setting it up. A blow through setup is far better than a draw through setup, especially if you want to do things like use an intercooler.

Comment

Demon is a great manufacturer of Blow Thu carbs, and they are getting more affordable every day.

Comment

Well my dad and I changed out minds and decided to do a drawthrough setup. Later on we will probaly do a blowthrough but there is some stuff he wants to try and my car will be the guinea pig. Anyways we got a turbo off a mercedes turbo diesel for $30.00 and are gonna rig it up to work were gonna use the manifold and intake from the camaro.

Comment

Here's a page that explain turbocharging carbeurated engine

Here\'s to hoping....

Comment

Well we found out that the turbo is a Garrett T3. Where did you run your oil lines for the turbo charger??? We were thinking about taking the oil pressure sensor out and putting a T fitting, and running the oil line from there. He also (my dad) was saying that we could take a one way valve and use it on the oil line to the turbo and right after the one way valve use a compression chamber( It would have air in it so when we cranked it up the oil pressure would build up inside the canister and create like a pressure chamber so it would have a oil supply for a lil while after the engine was shut off). Anyways if there are any problems please let me know. oh yea if any of yall are running turbo's on your cars how long have they lasted and how did you keep the turbo from burning up the bearings after the car is shut off???? Thanks

Comment

Use synthetic oil (higher heat tolerances) and let the car idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. My volvo is still on its original turbo after 120k miles doing only this.

Comment

Cool yea thats what i was planning on doing because i do alot of highway driving. What i was saying about running it off the fuel pressure peice is that alright???

Comment

Yea thats what i was thinking about doing because i do very liltle city drivin only about 20-30miles a week in the city and driving highway is around 700miles. What i was saying about running it off the oil pressure peice is that alrighft???

Comment

by the fuel pressure piece I'll assume you meant to say the oil pressure piece, and yes that's quite alright to feed a turbo, it's actually what I was planning with mine.

Comment

Working...
                        X