Stock Manifold Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Manifold Question

I'm still a ways from getting my engine out of the car (taking the fenders and hood off cause they're pretty banged up (my brother hit a cow at around 10mph and it layed on them)) so I thought I'd ask here since this could eventually lead to a turbo:

Are the stock manifolds designed so that I could switch the driver and passenger sides and end up with the outlets pointing towards the driver side and up?

Barring that, is there a RWD application that I can salvage some manifolds from that has the desired orientation?
    92 Lumina Z34
    Found coolant in the oil and metal in the filter.
    Also found a home in the engine compartment for a turbo and intercooler
    <a href=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/813554>Some pics at CarDomain</a>

RE: Stock Manifold Question

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. But you can't just take two front manifolds and use those, because the exhaust ports aren't evenly spaced on the rear, so the manifold would be pointed at the passenger side instead of the drivers side. You would probably have to fab something up.

Shawn
    90 Grand Prix STE 3.1 Intercooled Turbo-3100 Hybrid
    K&N, Magnaflows, No Cat, Chip, FFP Pulley, H260 Cam, No EGR.
    99 Grand Prix GT
    K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM
    12.665 @ 110.44 w/2.018 60', STREET TIRES, PUMP GAS!

Comment

RE: Stock Manifold Question

I have never seen a 3.4DOHCs bolt pattern..if it has offset ports like the pushrods..then no.
      88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Got to the engine today. The manifolds are too short to do what I originally had planned. I do believe the stock manifolds can be used to support a turbo though. Just have to make a custom pipe to connect the two. Or could make some custom shorty headers that go right into a collector then hook them up. But yeah, definitely gonna be custom fab to get a turbo in and looking like it actually belongs there.
        92 Lumina Z34

Comment

I'm running a stock front manifold on my rear head. It is mounted upside down and facing the drivers side. A custom corssover connects the two to the turbo.

Tim
          1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
          325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

That's what I originally thought I could do. Glad to hear it works
            92 Lumina Z34

Comment

Working...
            X