No announcement yet.

Want to turbo: 3100 hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, this may make me sound like a dumbass but.. What benefiuts can i expect to see with a wastegate.. Better yet, lets just try and give me a quick lesson in the art of turbocharging.. I want to know what I need to get my car turbo'd.. I want speed.. The more the better.. But I also need the tools of the trade.. Knowledge is the big one there.. Knowledge is the ONLY one right now since I am starting out.. Thanks for everyone bein patienbt with my Newness to this field..

90 Chevy Lumina: 3.1L V6; swapping out for TLQ1
    94 Cutty Supreme: 3100 V6
    Soon: Something new?

Comment

a wastegate is what limits your boost. when you get up to a set psi (set by your boost controller, or the ecm if its factory) the wastgate is opened and the exaust gasses bypass the turbine wheel and dont continue to spin the turbine faster. all turbo motors have wastgates, without them the boost would be uncontrolled.

if you want something stupid like 650hp, be prepared to spend $30+g's on custom everything. you may aswell just start with a 3.4l tdc.

Comment

Okay, maybe nothing insane like 650.. But.. Ive always dreamt of a 300 HP Wbody running a 3100.. lmao.. So.. I think a wastegate may be a good idea here, lol.. Except, the turbo Im gettin for free came off an Audi 5000.. 11.8 PSI max.. Good place to start for free if ya ask me.. heh..

90 Chevy Lumina: 3.1L V6; swapping out for TLQ1
        94 Cutty Supreme: 3100 V6
        Soon: Something new?

Comment

Originally posted by vsop4me3.1
          I got a t3/t4 hybrid turbo on ebay for 300 shipped, Brand new in box

I just won my bov and plan on getting a wastegate from him
          There's a reason it was $300, ssautocrap is known for... interesting... assembly methods.

I've got a turbo elbow/O2 housing from them... very shoddy workmanship, it was claimed to be 3" diameter but it's obvious in construction that they cheated a cut on a 2.5" pipe to make 3" at its widest point. There is no short side radius in the elbow, it's a direct drop off from the flange, I think a 1.5" pipe would flow better if constructed better. Also looking at the construction there is no way they have a profit margin aside from the fact they seem to use recycled scrap metal and not pay labor rates in their shop. However, the flanges, bolts, and gaskets (materials they had to buy and could not make themselves) included were all very nice looking.

Their turbos are known to blow out the seals before 1000 miles are up.
          It's nice they have a 1 yr warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by StEvEzAsYcHo
            Except, the turbo Im gettin for free came off an Audi 5000.. 11.8 PSI max.. Good place to start for free if ya ask me.. heh..
            It's probably too small.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

I strongly recommend you buy that, you don't seem to have the slightest idea what you're talking about with a good bit of this stuff and this will help you a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggx
              Originally posted by vsop4me3.1
              I got a t3/t4 hybrid turbo on ebay for 300 shipped, Brand new in box

I just won my bov and plan on getting a wastegate from him
              There's a reason it was $300, ssautocrap is known for... interesting... assembly methods.

I've got a turbo elbow/O2 housing from them... very shoddy workmanship, it was claimed to be 3" diameter but it's obvious in construction that they cheated a cut on a 2.5" pipe to make 3" at its widest point. There is no short side radius in the elbow, it's a direct drop off from the flange, I think a 1.5" pipe would flow better if constructed better. Also looking at the construction there is no way they have a profit margin aside from the fact they seem to use recycled scrap metal and not pay labor rates in their shop. However, the flanges, bolts, and gaskets (materials they had to buy and could not make themselves) included were all very nice looking.

Their turbos are known to blow out the seals before 1000 miles are up.
              It's nice they have a 1 yr warranty.
              well looks like I'll be knocking on wood.
              I wish 10% of the people on the road knew how to drive

Comment

I've got to tell you though, I've heard their wastegates are generally good so that's one thing you don't have to worry about. Keep us informed on how it ends up working in the long run as I'm curious to see if they've improved quality as they have claimed on their turbos.

Comment

ive been running one of SSAuto's turbos for a long time now.

dont let those dipshits on honda tech and their epoxied compressor housing fool you. that kid dropped it on the ground and tried to fix it with epoxy and then blaimed ssauto.

ssauto doesnt even touch the turbo's they sell, they are drop shipped from the manufacture in a wherehouse out of florida.

Comment

Yeah, ssauto sells stone mountain racing development/ xspower turbos. Looking at the quality of items they have touched it's a blessing from above if they don't do their own turbos as I wouldn't put it past them to use spot welds and epoxy. Regardless, either you got lucky or honda guy got unlucky, hopefully the latter for the sake of everyone touched by the forced induction industry as it would be a shame for a company to offer such an inferior product and lure in tons of buyers due to the low price afforded by the shoddy work. How many miles do you consider a long time I'm wondering?

Comment

Working...
                    X