Engine tuning, What are some pros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine tuning, What are some pros?

What will a guy gain from getting a good tune on his obd1 motor? is it like a video game where you turn up power and turn down fuel economy? i know thats kindof a dummy question, but im just looking into this from the start. not the deep end. ill go there later im sure.

ive heard of things like a lean out mode or something for highway and 0 load conditions.

what kind of things can you change by tuning it? what do you need?

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

you don't increase power without also increasing economy... well, you could, but it's a bad method to achieve power goals.

lean out: highway fuel mode, you can set it up however you want, wether it being able to stay on above 80kPa or only have it from 30-50kpa, there are a LOT of possibilities for that alone...

you've got a 91, so i attached a list of what all can be played with...

then, if you get REAL good, you can play with the algorithm and make the ECU do whatever YOU want it to do. want to have nitrous control through the stock ECU alone? possible. VVT, Direct Injection, SFI, 8 gear tranny control, automatic fuel and spark tuning, etc... it's all possible if you know what you're doing.
    Attached Files
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

i am interested in this... my car could be my new toy.

all i can think of right now is the scene from the fast and the furious where 'brian' is using his second blast of nos on his 45 second 1/4mile race and his laptop is blinking next to him, so he tells it to shut up and close it.

i dont need to be driving around with a laptop in shotgun do it? i would sooner buy a mount for this. :P

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingWeToddDid View Post
        i dont need to be driving around with a laptop in shotgun do it? i would sooner buy a mount for this. :P
        not necessary, except during the initial tune.... but i like perfection, so i constantly bring mine along...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

all i have to say about that txt file is, WOW! i understand what most of it means, but what it does is a whole nother story. lol well maybe i shouldnt say most. i understand the words. lol

Comment

it would take a LOT of explantion to describe what EVERY table, constant and flag do.

most people only ever touch maybe 10% of it.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

yeah i hears ya. but i do have a laptop i can sacrifice for this, if i need to leave it in the garage or whatever.

Comment

if by sacrifice, you mean spend maybe a few minutes every time you want to correct something in the tune, yeah.
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

FUCK i wanted an excuse to build that into the car too!! lol

Comment

Be careful.. Once you get into it it's hard to get away from it.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

thats pretty much what it sounds like. is there more to tune on OBD 1 or 2?

Comment

OBD1: i imagine it would depend on what codemask you want to play with....

no idea about OBD2 though...
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                          Be careful.. Once you get into it it's hard to get away from it.
                          No kidding. Tuning your car is almost drug-like in it's addiction.
                          '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

1/8 mile 9.72@75 mph, 2.0 60 foot

Comment

I let my frustration get the better of me. Sorry.

Consider a carputer (a itx board.) It's easy to power it.
                            Last edited by nixtux; 06-17-2010, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X