DataMaster data logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DataMaster data logging

Has anyone used this program to data log there vehicle? If so, what did you have to do to get it to start logging data? What vehicle were you doing this on?
    The tools I already have are; laptop, ALDL (GM OBD1) Cable with 12 pin Serial, TTS Datamaster installed on laptop.
    I have read through the pdf a few times and I always see the "No PCM Sync, Recycling..." and "waiting" .
    I have tried using the HyperTerminal program, but when I select com1 and 2400 OR 9600 it doesn't show anything in the white box when I turn the key forward (Engine off).
    How would I know if my aldl cable requires the 10K resistor?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Here's a pic of what I see...

Comment

You have to load a definition file for the selected vehicle in order to datalog, if your car is not supported on their site it will not work. The TGP 8F code works. This is the program I used to help sort out the trouble I was having getting the APU1 emulator working, I went to the help section and made sure all necessary drivers were installed and made sure I had the right com port selected following their instructions. Once I was successful here I was fianally able to get the emulator to work.

Judging from the background of your screen shot the definition file is not loaded because it will post figures and graphs on the tables in the background from what I recall.

8F does not require the the 10K terminal ground.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM.

Comment

That is just a screen shot off the desktop, not the laptop (I couldnt remember the correct message it was saying and had to reenact it) . I loaded a new file (created a new one) and that is the farthest I got.
        So I can leave the little square black part in the ziplock bag? Don't need to position on the cable end in any way?

Thanks.

Comment

I thought ALDL baud rate was something off the wall like 8192 or something. Not sure if that would cause an issue with not being able to connect or not.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I will try that in the morning, I hope it works.

Thanks.

Comment

Tried seeing about adjusting the rate and there was no specific option. Just 2400 or 9600 was suggested. I did however get the syncing to randomly connect, but it would loose connection and trying syncing again.

Comment

Is it something like the 3100 94-95 ecm, to where you have to send a command to disable coms so the ECM is quiet, then send another command to connect and set it in scan mode? That is how mine is, if you just connect you'll get tons of com errors. But if yous end the disable coms command first, the ECM stops chattering through the ALDL, then you can send the connect mode command for either codes or scanning.
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I think it might be the laptop since my pins are straight as an arrow on the car side and any normal Tech1 or so doesn't give me any trouble when reading. TTS DM must be finicky with the communication too. I'll keep plugging away at it....

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                    I think it might be the laptop since my pins are straight as an arrow on the car side and any normal Tech1 or so doesn't give me any trouble when reading. TTS DM must be finicky with the communication too. I'll keep plugging away at it....

I also discovered through datamaster that I had a poor connection at the plug. I happened to move the ALDL plug which wasn't bolted down at the time and noted a loss of connectivity and reconnect message which clued me in after I moved it a couple of times and received the same result. It's hard to imagine but I believe the terminals oxidized enough (dark brown in color) to cause that to happen. My cable was new and came with the APU1 Moates emulator. I had to crimp the terminals a little for a tighter fit.

Comment

So you had to crimp the cable end a little or the car side data link connector? I will look into that. It's hard to get a pin point area from the exhaust note rumbling.
                      Thanks.

Comment

So you had to crimp the cable end a little or the car side data link connector? I will look into that. It's hard to get a pin point area from the exhaust note rumbling.
                        Thanks.
                        Car end, the cable was new.

Comment

So I have tried pretty all of what I can do... but I think the serial com port is the culprit.
                          Will this adapter: http://www.cooldrives.com/db9usbseradf.html work or is there a special one that everyone buys for the com to usb adapter?

Comment

So I have tried pretty all of what I can do... but I think the serial com port is the culprit.
                            Will this adapter: http://www.cooldrives.com/db9usbseradf.html work or is there a special one that everyone buys for the com to usb adapter?
                            Just make sure it's of good quality, I have an iogear unit

Comment

Okay, finally got a steady reading. On to the next issue. How do you save a record/log? When I run the car and run the program it shows all the data flowing, but the "Save" option is not lit to click and I don't know what I am missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X