Datalog/cable problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datalog/cable problems?

OK. I started with the Mastech ALDL cable and it wasn't working last week or so (last time I tried it) on a 91 Camaro. I put a new battery in Paul's '93 Camaro, got the exhaust temporarily connected to see if perhaps it was in fact the cable. Well, it still wouldn't read or acknowledge the cable was there using both ALDL_Test or TunerproRT.

So I had another rs232 chip and some spare components and went ahead and built a quick cable using Isaac's diagram, but lacking the light (when I say quick, I actually just soldered the components to the chip ROFL). Tried it and still no go.

OK, so now I figure maybe my laptop is suddenly not making power to the serial connector and went ahead and added the lighter to 5v regulator, and tried plugging in 12v -- still nothing.

Now I am at wits end. I did lose my HDD not long ago and had to reload the programs, but double checked the settings and even used the full test in ALDL_test (goes through all the baud rates etc), and just tried putting a cap between the 12v in and system ground, then it started to pour out.

Any suggestions?
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

buy a real cable?

aldlcable.com is calling your name john...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      buy a real cable?

aldlcable.com is calling your name john...
      STFU!

The Mastach cable is a real cable, but I already had the stuff to make another. You realize how much you are paying for something that has very little into it? Takes about $9 to make your own

Actually am thinking of finally buying a Moates cable, although the ALDLcable.com is cheap...
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        STFU!

The Mastach cable is a real cable, but I already had the stuff to make another. You realize how much you are paying for something that has very little into it? Takes about $9 to make your own

Actually am thinking of finally buying a Moates cable, although the ALDLcable.com is cheap...
        i know how little there is to it, but it looks professional, is durable so far and i haven't had a single problem with it.

and if i play with the jumper on top, i can put the ECM into field diagnostic mode with the cable still attached... instead of trying to look for a paperclip or steal one of my wife's bobby pins.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

John, do you have a real serial port on your laptop or a USB adapter?

You sure you soldered it up right?
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
            John, do you have a real serial port on your laptop or a USB adapter?

You sure you soldered it up right?

Yes and yes :P

Still raining so I haven't had a chance to see if the cap across the power and ground would make a diff. The Mastach cable was working at one time, so yesterday i took it apart and noticed the small regulator had stained the PCB brown. I couldn't find a 78L05 locally, so I tried the the large 7805 first on the Mastach board, that didn't work so I built another cable.

I'm ordering the Moates cable, hopefully that's the problem
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

I run mine from 9v battery so dirty power/spikes from the 12v car power don't affect it. That could be the problem.
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I run mine from 9v battery so dirty power/spikes from the 12v car power don't affect it. That could be the problem.
                the regulator should take care of that.. but any ground noise could cause an issue.

i run mine off the serial port power, no regulator. always works great.

Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Dave, that's the very shematic I used

Got the new Moates cable today, got it all configured etc (Com port 5), but it still wouldn't connect. Loaded a generic .bin from $59 and the .ads, worked fine. Makes me wonder if my cable would have worked, 'cept TunerPro wouldn't even recognize the cable whereas it does with the Moates.

OH and I tried both Robert's .ads, and the .ads posted by Dave on V6Z24. No go.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

I wonder if you have other issues.... User erro.. I mean hardware issues?

The cable you made should have worked. Mine works like a champ. TP likes it.
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I wonder if you have other issues.... User erro.. I mean hardware issues?

The cable you made should have worked. Mine works like a champ. TP likes it.
                      Hmm. The wideband controller works

I have no idea if the rs232 chip I used was good. Pirated it from something else

I connect to our CNC machines via rs232, and they were built in the 80's. Not exactly rocket science.

Still doesn't tell me why $a1 is having a problem with the stock PROM. I'm going to load another .bin and .ads and see what happens. There are a ton for $8d etc.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

I *think* I have a spare chip, if you want it. I think I got 3. Built 2. I think the 3rd was a spare in case I fried one... I'll look if you want it.
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Can always use extra 232's

They are in my home-made WB controllers too. I plan on making one from scratch soon. Almost have all the components w00t.
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Working...
                          X