could a 90 3.1 ecm run a lq1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could a 90 3.1 ecm run a lq1?

im -considering- swapping the grand prix gtp's engine into my lumina for my supercharger build, & the guy whos gonna program my ecm for boost can only do so for the prom thats in it, now from what ive heard as long as the crank sensor setup is done properly, these engines dont care what ecm they are hooked to (relatively), is this correct?

if so what would i need to make the computer know when to pulse fuel (im assuming an external crank sensor?) if so what x crank sensor will i need (i dont know much as far as crank sensors go)?

3.1mpfi and TDC 3.4 are going to use the same setup for crank trigger. You'll just have to tune it for the VE of the TDC and spark tables and all that. I'm guessing he is going to use the TGP code to run it since it's boost?

Robert is running his 3100 on TDC code, so they will work you just gotta tune for the specifics of the motor of course.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
      Robert is running his 3100 on TDC code, so they will work you just gotta tune for the specifics of the motor of course.
      TRUE.

no_doz, if you are going to run it with TGP code, i can probably get you a starter bin made up using the fuel and spark tables from a DF BIN and "transplant" them into TGP code(8D or 8F, i can never remember). i can't guarantee the boosted values will be right, but the vacuum cells should be accurate enough.

and X2 on the crank sensor, its the same 3X sensor between the 3.4 and 3.1/3x00s...

if you're planning on using code59..... i really can't help there, i don't have any experience with it.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yea hes going to use the tgp code-so the crank sensor will be the same?

Comment

exactly...
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

that is great to know robert, so i assume you swapped from 3.4 to 3.1? & if so were the engine mounts much different? i realize the surface that connects to the engine probably were a good deal different, but what im wondering is will the grand prix engine mounts work in the lumina?

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz View Post
              that is great to know robert, so i assume you swapped from 3.4 to 3.1? & if so were the engine mounts much different? i realize the surface that connects to the engine probably were a good deal different, but what im wondering is will the grand prix engine mounts work in the lumina?
              ummm, what? i've always had a 3100, just now i'm using the 3.4DOHC PCM to run/tune it... isaac probably mentioned it to point out that the timing setups were completely compatible...
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

why are you using that pcm?

Comment

because you can't tune the 94-95 3100 PCMs? at least not the MAP based ones...
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                  X