$8D - Anyone Else Using It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $8D - Anyone Else Using It?

Just for fun this afternoon I tried the s_aujp v4 $8D code to see if it would run my hybrid 3.1. It did start and idled fairly good considering nothing had been done to it besides setting the injector constant, # cylinders, cylinder volume and DIS settings. I think I'm going to play with it for a while. Lots of neat features have been added to this version. Has anyone else gone this route? Just curious.

-- Scott

i made one for the GP at one time, but i like being able to take advantage of the EGR, so i went back to A1.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I started to play around with it but $A1 is working well for me so i stayed with it for now...
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

You soulless bastards...

Scrap that crap and get with the times! lol!

I'm not bashing, but when you can stare at a green blob moving around a VE map you almost drive into shit.

'97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

1/8 mile 9.72@75 mph, 2.0 60 foot

Comment

Originally posted by Monzsta View Post
          I'm not bashing, but when you can stare at a green blob moving around a VE map you almost drive into shit.
          that's the point of recording the data and going over it later... and 30 seconds after that, i have a new VE table...

and what green blob are you talking about? yeah, that's megasquirt, not GM ECUs...
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
            I started to play around with it but $A1 is working well for me so i stayed with it for now...
            I've got $A1 in a rough tune now but I'm in the process of wiring in a Wide Band sensor and figure I'd want to start over anyway. There are lots of nice features in $8D I want to play around with too.

-- Scott

Comment

the expanded VE tables are nice, but for most people, completely useless...
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

when i told the guys over at thirdgen.org about my build, they told me to use $8d and not $a1

93 Firebird 3.4
                Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR,Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Custom Cam, Holley FPR, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's & Disk Brakes.
                Cam and Heads by 60Inclusive.com

Comment

depending on your goals, either could work. but there were never any 6 cylinder BINs running 8D released from GM, so it makes A1 that much easier/foolproof to set up.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                    depending on your goals, either could work. but there were never any 6 cylinder BINs running 8D released from GM, so it makes A1 that much easier/foolproof to set up.
                    they said it was more of a "performance tune" but that didn't make sense to me because i'll be modifying the .bin anyways for my own application and i just want it to run right more than anything.

93 Firebird 3.4
                    Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR,Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Custom Cam, Holley FPR, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's & Disk Brakes.

Comment

depends on who told you that.... RBob: i would trust damn near anything he says just due to his understanding of how everything works.

BUT

just because 8D was used on TPI 305 and 350 motors, doesn't make it a "performance" mask. i could run a quad 4 on 8D but it won't perform any better than on what it was intended for, could also run it on the various LT5 codemasks, and again, no benefit.

a lot of the algorithm between A1, 8D and DF is VERY similar, just modified to fit the application. example being that DF has some torque management built into it to stop the LQ1 from breaking FWD trannies. should you have a stronger transmission, you can dial all of it out and take advantage of all of the motor.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I’m not trying to sell $8D to anyone, don’t really care which way anyone else goes. I was just wondering what other people had to say about it. I’m intrigued with it after looking into it. Yes, the expanded VE tables are nice, much more resolution. Not sure how useful they will be in real life but they can't hurt. Some of the reasons I’m giving it a try are:
                        • Support for the NVSRAM module (changes on the fly)
                        • Built in support for several different WB O2 sensors
                        • Open loop idle option
                        • Started out in a performance application
                        • VERY well documented
                        • Lots of support when problems are encountered
                        As far using it in a v6 application, I can tell you that it took a lot of work to get $A1 to even idle when I first completed my hybrid swap. $8D started and idled the first time. It’s pig rich but it did start and idle.
                        Just my $.02.
                        -- Scott

Comment

I see in that thread it mentions boost, and from what I gather someone modified 8D much like people modified a bin to make code 59?? So this is modified 8D code we are talking about correct?

What is your setup exactly? Just because one bin idles better stock than another doesn't make one less desireable. It just means the one that idled better happened to have tables with VE stock that was closer to your modified motor. Tuned both would perform the same...
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

correct, but A1 is meant for DIS motors, while 8D is meant for a ECU controlled dizzy...

59 is also meant for a distributor, but can be modified to work with DIS.
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

yeah it was Rbob who told me that. but he said mainly it was because there is a lot more support for the $8d mask. But i've found plenty of support on this site for the $a1 and thats all that really matters to me

93 Firebird 3.4

Comment

Working...
                              X