'95 Grand Am tuning options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Grand Am tuning options?

I just recently found this site and have been searching for option on my '95 Grand Am. I can't seem to find anything to tune it, so I assume my only option would be a conversion to OBD2. This is my DD so if it is too costly and complex I will ditch the idea. I can't stand how some of the things are setup in the computer and would love to have access to them to correct it.

I was just looking for some info on this from anyone who may have done the swap and get a feel for what it may cost to do something like this and the work involved. I see a lot of posts on here about swaps on other models, and I am not sure what applies to the Grand Am.

Thanks

OBD2 isn't your only option...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      OBD2 isn't your only option...
      Way to help him out and be specific. You could have at least dug up your OBD-1 conversion thread and linked it for him. Geez...

-Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i didn't want to sound too pushy about it...

WS6FirebirdTA00: does a 95 GA have 3 or 4 forward gear positions?
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks. It is 3 position.

Main reason I was considering OBD2 is because I have HP Tuners and that would cut out some cost, if not expensive in the first place. Honestly, one of the main things that bugs me as to wanting to do this is the crappy factory shift points. I guess the next question would be what is available for tuning on that PCM?
          Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

If you already have HPT, then it would seem logical to go the OBD2 route (to me, at least).
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
              If you already have HPT, then it would seem logical to go the OBD2 route (to me, at least).
              as much as i hate OBD2, it would make sense to use the ~400 dollar software rather than letting it go to waste...
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Yeah. But with HPT don't you have to buy credits to tune other cars?

People with the L bodies of that era 94-95 have swapped to a 96 engine bay harness. They had to do a couple wire changes to get the tach working, or do a full interior wire swap and then use the 96 cluster. They need a 96 glove box, PCM mounting tray, HVAC air duct, 96 ABS master cylinder, EGR, MAF, AirBox, and probably some other things.

Check out www.beretta.net and look in the performance section there should be a sticky. Should be similar. Then you can use a 97 monte carlo PCM with HPT and adjust the trans stuff/etc for it all to work.
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

unless HPT has changed since i last looked into it, it comes with 8 credits, and you can choose to tune a single VIN, all years of a certain car/motor and some other option, the better options costing more credits...

as long as you choose the ability to tune all cars or a certain year and can use that PCM for whatever application you're looking for, it can be a good deal.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Not really worried about credits, I have a lot of unlimited licenses (about 200 credits on the interface). I was more worried about the cost/time/frustration of an OBD2 swap and if it wasn't too bad. I will check out that link and see. If there was a simple adapter to use and it was plug and play, I would do it right now lol From what I have read the MAF is the only real hardware difference. What bothers me is if I would mess everything else up. Really debating just making a plug and play adapter for the main harness to swap over to the different PCM connectors.

Comment

IDK, i'm certainly not an OBD2 expert... don't expect anything useful from me in that respect, unless you need wiring diagrams, that's about all the help i can give for OBD2...
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

The OBD1 swap is an adapter plug and play setup, but that could be done with OBD2 if you ran the extra wires for the new style linear EGR, MAF, and then swapped out the required hardware to fit the OBD2 (larger) PCM. If you did it that way, (did not swap full wiring harness) then you should be able to retain your existing ABS. The ABS is a separate system, it's just when you swap engine bay harnesses, that it messes it up..
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Gotcha. Not really worried about the EGR, it is a PITA anyway with the port in the intake getting blocked. I have a better place for it to go...lol

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                            The ABS is a separate system, it's just when you swap engine bay harnesses, that it messes it up..
                            Not entirely true. The ABS doesn't "mess up". It just isn't recognized by the 96 ECM after the swap, and is disabled because the newer ABS modules use a different interface. Simple fix would be to get a comparable GM OBD-II (96 Beretta/Corsica, 96-98 Grand Am, etc.) master cylinder with ABS unit attached from a junkyard, remove 2 bolts, swap masters, install bolts, and plug it in. Problem solved.

It's not as bad as you make it sound. And he would still have standard (non-ABS) brakes regardless. So it's not a safety concern.

I bought everything I needed for the OBD-II conversion for my 94 before I found the 96. Once I bought that, I decided to move all mods over to that car, buy DHP, and sell the 94 as-is. Now I have a Monte as well, and still holding onto these two Berettas. They'll be the death of me, I swear!
                            1996 Beretta. 3100. Mostly stock. Eibachs, KYBs.
                            1994 Beretta Z26. 3400, CAI, UDP, and more.
                            2002 Monte Carlo LS. 3400. Stock (for now).

Comment

I thought the ABS was a separate system from the PCM all together... "Issues" with his 3500 corsica swaped to OBDII by repining the harness and didn't touch ABS. Worked fine.. I do know that it does some communication through the ALDL stream at least in OBD1.5, so it must interface with the PCM some how.
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                              X