No announcement yet.

first start tune...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may have found the culprit to my high idle issue on cold starts... once the engine is hot, it doesn't do it. I figure this table must be overriding IAC desired idle RPM trans engaged/not engaged. I'm going to lower the values and give it a shot, hopefully tomorrow morning when I get off work.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Don't lower it too much, you need to find that happy medium... Too low and with a cam you'll get no idle on cold start... VERY annoying issue that I fought for a while.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I lowered it a pretty good bit, but I figure I'll have to play with it (alot) to get it right.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
          Don't lower it too much, you need to find that happy medium... Too low and with a cam you'll get no idle on cold start... VERY annoying issue that I fought for a while.

I haven't tried it yet, I'm going to take my laptop to work so that when I get off, I can try it right away. right now, when I start it, it revs up to about 3000 RPM, do you think halfing those values would be too extreme, or put me in the ballpark?

Thanks-

Eric

edit:

also, last time I drove it, it seemed like throttle response was severely lacking, any suggestions on where to start on correcting it?
          Last edited by ericjon262; 02-17-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

What is your IAC requested Idle at that coolant temp? I'd start there and if the target is way lower than what it's at then you can half them. You're currently looking at adjusting the IAC steps modifier per coolant temp, I would start with the IAC requested idle and make sure that's nuked out first, THEN look at other values that would effect the IAC steps or indicate to the ECU how much air flows per step.

Regarding throttle response I can only say it will return when you begin tuning... you'll start with doing VE and such and then you'll mess with MAF tuning and then move on to Acceleration enrichment... That obviously is a big one since it will give the engine that little spurt of fuel right after you touch the gas as the old carb accelerator pumps would do.

Got Lope?
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

What is your IAC requested Idle at that coolant temp? I'd start there and if the target is way lower than what it's at then you can half them. You're currently looking at adjusting the IAC steps modifier per coolant temp, I would start with the IAC requested idle and make sure that's nuked out first, THEN look at other values that would effect the IAC steps or indicate to the ECU how much air flows per step.

Regarding throttle response I can only say it will return when you begin tuning... you'll start with doing VE and such and then you'll mess with MAF tuning and then move on to Acceleration enrichment... That obviously is a big one since it will give the engine that little spurt of fuel right after you touch the gas as the old carb accelerator pumps would do.
              that makes perfect sense. Now for a question I should have asked on day one, what parameters do you recommend logging? IIRC, I have been logging MAF and MAP, TPS, Coolant temp, o2, IAC position, and engine speed. next log I am also going to do injector pulse width. anything I'm missing?

Thank you for the help!

-Eric

Comment

My typical log includes

ECT
                TPS
                LTFT
                STFT
                O2mv
                IAT
                MAP
                MAF
                Spark
                MPH
                RPM
                IPW
                IAC

Not all of that is necessary when making specific adjustment so sometimes I will log only the pids that are needed to do say the VE or the MAF tuning. In theory the less you log the quicker it's able to poll the data so you have more accurate logs without large time pauses between lines.

How is your logging setup? are you using DHP to make log files? I know some tips and tricks to have it log directly to a CSV file if your not doing that already. It's much quicker and you don't have to deal with the internal log DB in DHP.

When you start logging the fuel trims you'll know right away, or have a better idea of how far off your current tune is.

Got Lope?

Comment

How is your logging setup? are you using DHP to make log files? I know some tips and tricks to have it log directly to a CSV file if your not doing that already. It's much quicker and you don't have to deal with the internal log DB in DHP.

When you start logging the fuel trims you'll know right away, or have a better idea of how far off your current tune is.
                  I'm using DHP, any way to make the process faster would be awesome! I looked at my previous logs, and I was logging most of your list. halfing the values for IAC offset helped dramatically. still a little off, but it's much better than it was. I need to figure out what's going on with my LC1 so I can start logging WBo2.

Again, thanks for the help!

Comment

well, today was frustrating, something is going on with the wiring for my camshaft position sensor, and I think my instrument cluster harness might be fubar'd too. when my new crimpers come in, I am going to start working on a new engine harness with a few experimental provisions built in.

Comment

Some DHP options.

This is for version 1.2.3x or 1.2.4

When you install the PowrTuner software, there are some settings that you might want to change. This section will describe how to adjust the save method to save scan data to csv, Auto save and restore scan configurations, and adjust the write speed and refresh rate.

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> be sure 'Auto-Restore Scan Config' is checked

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> be sure 'Auto-Save Scan Config' is checked

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> Logging Options -> Scan Log Storage Method -> Select 'Export to CSV'

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> Logging Options -> Status Refresh Rate -> Check 'Lowest'

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> Logging Options -> Log Write Speed -> Check 'Realtime'

If you want to have the program generate a file name for you:

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> Logging Options -> Check 'Auto-Generate File Names'

If you want to have PowrTuner create a new file when you resume scanning:

Click Options -> Scantool Options -> Logging Options -> Check 'New File upon Resume'

Try not to log over 20 PIDs at a time (The scanner is not very stable with more that 20)

Note on a new feature: The order you add PIDs in the scanner is the order they will be displayed when saving directly to csv. If you are saving to the Internal Database, then exporting to csv, they will be in alphabetical order, just like they have been.

Got Lope?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

coming back from the grave, I've noticed something odd... my wideband o2 is bouncing all over, while the narrow band seems to be almost static showing 14.7... it's not throwing a CEL, but it doesn't seem to track with what I was expecting to see. it's also really weird to me that the a/f goes up to 14.7 without ever going down, just up up up up stop @ 14.7 something doesn't seem right, any ideas?

I attached the log, and bin file used.I swapped out the sensor, and it acted normal, then after a short amount of runtime, it went back to this...

Thanks for the help.

-Eric
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X