'97 Lumina MegaSquirted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Lumina MegaSquirted

I finally had it with the limits of the stock PCM and not being able to get around the closed loop 14.7 AFR curse. I do a lot of highway travel and had maxed out my tune with as much fuel as possible removed from PE and AE tables and ran my timing through the roof for better economy.

I had it built for about a year waiting to get my other project car done (no progress there) and couldn't stand looking at it any more. So I threw it in my Lumina with 3 10-way plugs (2 female, one male) to swap the injectors and ignition module wiring from the megasquirt harness to the stock PCM in case a tune goes horribly wrong or a hardware failure of the MS occurs. I hate walking.

I currently have the MS running injectors only, along with my wideband. As I get the tune sorted, I'll port over ignition control, and idle control, leaving the stock pcm to deal with the gauges and transmission.

My first impressions were of jumping into the deep end of a pool the first time. I was using a ton of fuel, it wouldn't idle, and I'd pull over and plug in the stock PCM to get to where I was going. After sorting out a few things and plugging the MS back in I am now beginning to realize there is a lot of potential here.

16:1-17:1 lean cruise, steady 12:7-13:1 under power, and I'm still working on my VE table. The engine also has a new smoothness and power to it.

I can't wait to get the tune finalized and move ignition control over to MS. Goodbye, MAF!
    '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

1/8 mile 9.72@75 mph, 2.0 60 foot

It IS a steep learning curve since, minus the VE table, you're essentially starting from scratch.
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

this sounds confusing and fun.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Oh, it's delightful. I would have done it a year ago when I stabbed the LA1 if I knew then how effective and nice it was. Now I have a craving to build a simple carPC with a touch screen or throw a $249 net book in there for tuning. My heavy ass HP ZV6000 monster is a bear to lug around.

Once I get all tuned, my DHP tuner may go up for sale.

Following the notes from the Turbo Camaro Project here really made the install easy. The hardest part was finding a decent wire path from the dash to the PCM cavity under the hood. I ended up stuffing it through the grommet that exits into the passenger door jam, and following the existing wiring up and over the fender liner and through the PCM box vent hose.

I'll post pics soon.
        Last edited by Monzsta; 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM.
        '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

Comment

Sweet! I'm also using the MegaII with touch screen, it would be great to compare notes once I get my TDCTT project done..
          Last edited by Smittro; 11-02-2009, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittro View Post
            Sweet! I'm also using the MegaII with touch screen, it would be great to compare notes once I get my TDCTT project done..
            How is the touch screen to use? any limits to moving tables and settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Monzsta View Post
              How is the touch screen to use? any limits to moving tables and settings?
              Sorry..Wish I knew have'nt installed it yet cuz my project is'nt finished. I still have to make some kind of mount bracket and face cover yet. Hope to have an answer for your question soon though. Shooting for the end of the month completion.

Comment

Updates ? .msq or fuel & spark tables to share ? . I also have MS2

Comment

I only just got mine started and idling a 3100 with what I assume are #19 injectors. VE table beyond idle zone is incomplete. Cranking pulses, warm-up and afterstart enrichments likely need work for anything less than a hot motor. Accel/decel enrichments are copied from someone elses msq and isn't tested.

Spark table has only been briefly looked at and should be assumed to be massively wrong. Especially above atmospheric. I'm not letting it run spark until after I get the VE table reasonably done.

In other words, only use this file, as is, at your own risk.

Maybe it'll give others a reasonable starting point though.

Edit: I should point out that this file was made under megatune 2.25 for MSII, board ver3.0.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Azrael; 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM.
                  1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

After a frustrating experience I didn't have time to sort out, I unplugged it and ran on the stock pcm for a while. As luck would have it I blew out my .msq when I installed windows 7 on my lap top.

So about a week ago I noticed a new beta of MsExtra, ver 3.03r. TunerStudio had a new version as well. So with all new files flashed to the MS and my engine constants re-entered, The engine started and purred like a kitten. I have 21# injectors from a caravan, so my initial map will be different, but the settings for the DIS and timing should be the same.

It's a rough tune, I still have some idle and cruise tuning to do (not to mention cold start) but the engine runs well on it

edit: the upload manager is being a dick.. I'll have the file up soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X