Haltech issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haltech issues

Hey Forum, I have a Haltech E6A and we are having issues getting the laptop to communicate with the Haltech. I'm thinking that if I can't get it to work, I'll have to change over to megasquirt because I can't afford a new Haltech. I'd like to get the current set up to work, so if you guys have any suggestions I'm willing to listen. I think I'm going to try to put the program from my old laptop to my new one and see if that may be the issue. Thanks, Brett

Might want to contact Haltech and see what they think is the issue... They would know the best.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I would contact haltech like modified said, Im sure they have fixed every issue out there.

BUT if you feel like messing with it...

do you have a serial to usb adapter? how is it connected?

Im running MS

I have had issues with adapters (the one DIY sells works great). I have also had issues with usb cables losing connection due to "noise" from under the dash, for that I got a heavy duty serial cable and have not had an issue since.

another issues, do you have the right com port? sometimes its a bitch to find the correct one... well for me lol. also, the bit rate? or whatever its called for the usb/serial port might have to be set to something specific (ms is like that)
      sigpic
      88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

I have contacted Haltech and they didn't have any clue how to troubleshoot the e6a. This what his exact response:

"Unfortunately, as your E6A is approaching 20 years old, there is no one here at Haltech that is familiar with those older ECU’s, so we aren’t able to offer any phone tech support for those older models. "

I don't have any adapters. It's a serial port on the haltech and a serial port on the laptop. The computer doesn't recognize the external floppy drive either, so that leads me to believe that the issue lies within the computer. And its the cheapest thing to change as opposed to replacing the haltech. I've been doing some reading and from what I can see, I have to use DOS to run this program. Others who have used this exact haltech set up have tried using windows 95 or windows 98 said that if it didin't work to just use DOS. I have posted on this site about this and guys have said that the Dell D610's are the best for tuning. I'm not sure about the bit rate, don't know what that means. I just can't get the computer to stop saying Haltech is offline. I'm going to try to get a new computer and re-download the program. That's all I can think to do. Thoughts?

Comment

I'd pick up a small hard drive that works in your laptop and swap it out.. Start fresh by formatting the drive FAT 16 or 32 and installing DOS 6.22. Take that thing all the way back to the stone age, then it should work fine.

I have to do that for certain things where i work, i have a machine built just for running DOS programs. Lots of older programs don't work with modern com port drivers.

If you get in a huge bind and want to change ECU's, I still have my Holley Commander 950 and an engine harness, it's software works in windows XP. Probably cheaper to go MS though.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'll keep that in mind. I am not a huge computer guy, but I do have an opportunity to pick up a Gateway Solo 9500 laptop Pentium III 900Mhz, 392MB RAM, floppy drive, cd/r rw, touchpad mouse, DB-9 serial port, modem, network RJ45, 2 PCMCIA slots, 2 USB ports, optical audio out, composite video out, VGA out, DB-25 parallel port, PS2 connector for keyboard or mouse for $45. It sounds like it will fulfill the requirements to tune a haltech. Do you think this is a good deal? I don't know alot about gateway. Thanks, Brett

Comment

well im out of ideas lol. to me, that seems like a good price for any working laptop. since its older and has a better chance of working I guess it couldnt hurt to give it a shot?
              sigpic
              88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

Yeah, I figure that I'll give it a try. Hopfully to use it this weekend and get my tune dialed in. Thanks for your input! Brett

Comment

Working...
                X