1986 Jeep 2.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Jeep 2.8 swap

Howdy, I've been pointed in your direction by a North America XJ Association forum member. I'm reposting my post from there, cause it goes pretty much in topic with what I would like advice about here.

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while now, decided to start posting in the last couple of days. I'd like some advice for an XJ I recently bought.

I have an '86 XJ that I got for $600. I've been doing my research and now know that the '86 isn't the best option to start building with, but there is no rust and the interior is like new. I've had to replace the radiator right off the bat ($120 new). There was a wobble to the engine and replacing the non-balanced flywheel with a balanced one fixed ($100 rebuilt) that. I also installed the posi-lock to engage 4x4, ($170). Total investment (little over $1,000). The engine can be heard on youtube:

Just posting this one so I can get friends to hear my engine. She's sick.

The engine hesitates, and has stalled on me once while I was accelerating. My fellow club members and father believe that my engine has thrown a rod. My research on the GM 2.8 V6 pretty much tells me to yank my engine and not worry about this one. I’ve been doing a lot of research and basically have five options as I see it.

1)Sell the Jeep. I don’t have much invested; I don’t want to push this engine on someone else. Everything on it looks great, so I want to keep it.

2)Swap out the 2.8 for a used 4.3 S-10 or a 3.4 from a 93-95 Camaro or Firebird. I’ve already looked in junkyards for engines and the engines are expensive for what you might get (high mileage, may need to be rebuilt) and there would have to be custom work with the engine mounts. I would also have to replace my entire drive train with the 4.3 (the 3.4 will bolt right in).

3)Swap it out with the LS1 V8. I would also have to change out the drive train, but I’m not sure if my Dad’s skills are up for it (shade tree mechanic). He worked on carb’s and he wants nothing to do with fuel injection. I know nothing about engines, so I’m at his mercy. I also think this would cost more than I am willing to invest right now.

4)Swap it out with the GM 3.4 crate engine. This will bolt right in, and there shouldn’t be any other issues. I am leaning this way; I think the $1,800 spent on the engine now will save me much more down the road. (Not having to rebuild an older engine).

5)Fix the crappy engine I have now. I did get two additional 2.8’s with the Jeep. One has a broken crankshaft, and the other is broken down to the block. I probably could rebuild one engine with the three I have. I’m not thrilled with this option, because I will never be happy with the power.

I’ve done a lot of research, both here and one the novak site, now I would like to hear any advice that anyone may have. If someone had installed that crate engine, were you happy with the power it gave? Was the V8 swap worth the headache?

Thanks for any input
    Darren
    P.S. if you watched my XJ sick engine video, look for the XJ in flight one, you won’t regret it. (Not mine, it was at the Back Yard Bash, two weeks ago.)
    Since this IS a 60 degree V6 forum, I am interested in hearing about options 2 and 4. I am leaning towards the crate engine, because that should be bolt on and the only thing that I will have to replace is the fuel pump. Any thoughts?

If it were mine, I had the money, and planned on keeping it for a while, I'd go with the 3.4 crate engine.

Comment

the crate engine is based on the camaro 3.4l. for what you get, its hard to get a camaro 3.4 and rebuild it with comparable parts for under $1800. iirc, offenhauser makes a 4 barrel intake (or used to) and you can run a small holley 390 4 barrel, couple that with some headers and you will be happy with the power.

Comment

mostly agree another option is a 3.1L manufactured block. Though the one I got has no warranty I went over it and check it out before putting it in. I picked mine up for 800 bucks to the door but it looks as though i got a really sweet deal. Just keep an eye on eBay th they pop up on there sometimes thats where I got mine. Then do all the stuff he is saying only other thing I would recommend doing if you pick up a 3.1 is get a different cam. That will give you some power. Headers though it is a chevy engine the headers did not fit on the Isuzu I have I tried to make them fit and did a little more damage than hoping and didn't work. Headers they maybe bolt on they may not be. Don't throw the box and packing away tell you know it will fit. Part of it was they run the starter on the drivers side on a trooper. Anywho Hope that helps
        Last edited by ignoreance; 03-27-2007, 03:06 AM.

Comment

I wanted to respond to everyone a few days ago, but I couldn't log into the site! They fixed it, so here I am. Whoo hoo.

Everyone thanks for the input.
          Ignoreance, I was aware that the 3.1 was another option, but I thought it would basically be a slightly improved 2.8. I just learned otherwise. I have the funds to get the crate engine, but thanks for the advice that could save me some money.

Sharkey,
          Your first comment was exactly the information I was hoping to learn. With the crate engine being relatively cheap, I thought it made more sense to go that route than to look for a used 3.4 that I may have to rebuild (if not today, a year or two later.)

I don't know that much about engines, so you'll have to indulge me a little here. :P
          I'm pretty sure I know what the headers are, the 4 bb intake is a carb?

I'm guessing those upgrades could cost around $400-$500, what kind of increase in power would I get?

The XJ is just for fun (off-roading) so I don't know how much money I'm going to put into her. I have a patrol car that counts as a daily driver, a Jeep Wranger for when I am not working, and the Cherokee (XJ) that is my project vehicle. I will be doing other things to the Jeep, wheels and such, but it would be interesting to know what options I have with this 3.4.

Heh, I guess I should check the other forums and see where it had been discussed already.

Comment

Working...
          X