newbie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie ?

Sorry if this has been asked. I have an 84 S15 2WD with a blown 2.8 carbureted motor. What would the best fairly straight swap be for this truck.
    Thanks

V8 or 4.3... I know a guy who put a 305 into his s-10 and got the same milage as his 2.8L just because the engine doesnt have to work that hard to move it the same speed..
    VIDEO Acadian http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...7f00197eea.htm
    VIDEO Chevette http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...500156e11b.htm

Six-t-Six Motorsports
    2.8L Chevette Roadcar
    3.2L Acadian Racecar

Comment

3.4 from and F-body or crate engine is an easy drop in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ortie666 View Post
        V8 or 4.3... I know a guy who put a 305 into his s-10 and got the same milage as his 2.8L just because the engine doesnt have to work that hard to move it the same speed..
        Yea but neither of those are a straight swap. Only a 3.1L or 3.4L is a straight swap. 4.3L is a junk swap. My 3.4L beats any new stock 4.3L vortec S-10 on the track. Thats saying alot for 93 TBI technology versus 2002 SFI and an engine that is larger with better flowing heads.

A V8 swap is nice but way more expensive and requires a different transmission along with more parts than it would take to do a 4.3L swap.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I've been looking at replacing my 2.8 with a crate 3.4 in my 86 Jeep Cherokee. The only thing that concerns me is that some sites say that the engine is only used for carb, and automatic tranny applications...

I am using a carb now, but I have a manual tranny. Is this still a direct swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Ortie666 View Post
            I know a guy who put a 305 into his s-10 and got the same milage as his 2.8L just because the engine doesnt have to work that hard to move it the same speed..
            Should have been even better. I got 30mpg w/ my 305 in my stock 3300lb '85 Z28
            '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by forcecop View Post
              I've been looking at replacing my 2.8 with a crate 3.4 in my 86 Jeep Cherokee. The only thing that concerns me is that some sites say that the engine is only used for carb, and automatic tranny applications...

I am using a carb now, but I have a manual tranny. Is this still a direct swap?
              It is a direct swap. Either way. The warning you are reading is an emissions warning. The engine is only emission improved for Carbureted automatic trucks.

I have a Fuel injected manual transmission and I pass emissions just as easily as the 2.8L did.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Cool. Is the improvement of the 3.4 much more noticable than the 2.8?

I'm going to be building my Jeep off for offroading, need the power for bigger tires and such.

Comment

Cool. Is the improvement of the 3.4 much more noticable than the 2.8?
                  That's a silly question. The 3.4 will be WORLDS improvement in every way over that 2.8
                  '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                    That's a silly question. The 3.4 will be WORLDS improvement in every way over that 2.8

Not so silly. My use for the new engine is to power a 4x4 vehicle, with larger than stock tires, and various items that are going to add wieght to the vehicle. I KNOW that the 2.8 isn't really suited for the plans I have. A 3.4 isn't that huge of a leap in horsepower, so I thought it was a valid question.

I'm not really interested in swapping a V8 (don't want to put THAT much money into the Jeep), so I just wanted an opinion about the 3.4. (hense my second line after the comment you posted.) :P

I'll take your second sentence as validation for sticking with the 3.4.

Thanks.

Comment

Not so silly. My use for the new engine is to power a 4x4 vehicle, with larger than stock tires, and various items that are going to add wieght to the vehicle. I KNOW that the 2.8 isn't really suited for the plans I have. A 3.4 isn't that huge of a leap in horsepower, so I thought it was a valid question.

I'm not really interested in swapping a V8 (don't want to put THAT much money into the Jeep), so I just wanted an opinion about the 3.4. (hense my second line after the comment you posted.) :P

I'll take your second sentence as validation for sticking with the 3.4.

Thanks.
                      The 3.4 has 220hp.. a 2.8 has at most 140hp.. that's just about doubled the HP man I'd think you'd be straight w/ the 3.4, but it's all in your personal wants I guess

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Hmmm... I thought it was 160-180 hp, are we talking about the carb. one?

Geez, if we are, then I will be golden for my plans, who needs a V8?

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                          The 3.4 has 220hp.. a 2.8 has at most 140hp.. that's just about doubled the HP man I'd think you'd be straight w/ the 3.4, but it's all in your personal wants I guess
                          The SFI genI 3.4 is rated at 160 HP. Even the genIII 3400 is not rated at 220 HP, most I've seen is 200 HP, though in stock form I have seen dynos tests show 200ish HP at the wheels in J-Bodies (obviously a custom swap) using the 5-speed tranaxle.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                            The SFI genI 3.4 is rated at 160 HP. Even the genIII 3400 is not rated at 220 HP, most I've seen is 200 HP, though in stock form I have seen dynos tests show 200ish HP at the wheels in J-Bodies (obviously a custom swap) using the 5-speed tranaxle.
                            Whaaaat??? I just looked into this.. how are our fwd 3400's more powerfull than a damn pushrod v6 Camaro's motor???? What gives??
                            And btw.. the 3400's are rated from 215-220hp, depending if they have a 5spd or auto

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

a 3.4l tdc (twin dual cam) is rated at 205-210 depending on year and tranny. there never was a factory 3400 that came with 215hp, they were between 180-185 depending on the vehicle they came in (only difference is pcm programing).

the camaro is 160hp. yes, a mini van had more power than a v6 camaro in the same year. reason being the v6 camaro was old technology, not a whole lot changed between the first efi 2.8 and the 3.4l (aside from bore/stroke). it made 160hp, enough to move it around for people that didnt want a v8. a 3400 needed the power, it was the biggest motor put into things like mini vans, grand ams, ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X