2.8 in MG Midget (GMMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 in MG Midget (GMMG)

I'm getting ready to drop a 2.8 into a 79 MG Midget. I would like to put aluminum heads on but don't know exactly what year/models will fit my engine. I have an 82 camaro 2.8, and I would like to go with an edelbrock performer manifold with a holley 390 cfm carb. I'll be backing it up with an S-10 4 speed.

If anyone can help with the head info, please clue me in. Also has anyone had any experience with the holley 390 carb on a 2.8? Is it too much carb for this engine? I haven't purchased the manifold yet so should I be looking for a 2 bbl instead?

I'll also be replacing the 3rd member, probably with a narrowed 8" ford with a coil over/4 link system and modified wheel wells to allow some wider tires.

If you plan on staying carb'ed, throw out the aluminum head idea. The ports will not line up between an iron head manifold and the aluminum heads.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

guywhelan,
      Take a look at v6mgb.com and go to the forum we pretty much stick to the 60 degree V6 in MG B but do talk about other GM 60 degree V6 conversions that are similar.

Yes, aluminium heads are out unless changing over to F.I and realistically a FWD engine complete. The exhaust ports are different.. An '82 engine is not the greatest choice, but useable and upgradeable later.. The later the design, like any engine series, the more powerful and reliable. A '79 Midget is about the best year to use though. Do you want to sell the differential gears out of that car? I might know of someone who want one.
      The S10 transmission is a poor choice. Shifter location, might be better then the Camaro t5, maybe.. The gearing starts at 4.06 in 1st gear. Thats a terrible ratio even in a P/U such as the S10- I know, I have owned many MGs and S10s! The 4 bbl is not too much for that motor IF you jet it correctly.

Again, join us on the v6mgb.com forum as well!!

Good luck,
      -BMC.
      MG & MGB V6 + V8 Engine Conversion Shop

1982 Chevrolet S10 long box with another L32 SFI!
      1980 MGB with Camaro L32 3.4L SFI V6
      2000 Venture 3400 (for her)
      Spitfire L32 3.4L
      "Experimentals"
      and more conversions all the time.

Comment

Working...
      X