90 beretta indy, 3400 swap ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 beretta indy, 3400 swap ?'s

Hey im gonna be doing the 3400 swap in the near futrue and i was just wondering if anyone knew what im gonna need to mount the engine/tranny, im coming from 3.1mpi/th-125, and going into 3400/4t60e, is this wap even possible ? i have had a couple ppl. tell me it isnt even possible without major mods to the engine bay, and the mounting issue is really worrying me right now
    1990 Chevy Beretta Indy
    3.1L Yellow........

3400 dohc in a Beretta Indy

I also want to know if anyone has tried this mod! I heard there are size restrictions, etc...mostly looks like brake booster issues, and of course motor mounts...but if the blocks on 3.1 mpfi and 3400 dohc are similar/same...why aren't mounting bosses for mounts in same place? help!!! I have a 3400 snot rocket and want it in my yello indy!
    Teal Indy
    Yello Indy
    90 STE
    90 GTZ
    90 EURO

Comment

2manyberettas - he's talking about the 3400 OHV, NOT the DOHC... which, btw is not referred to as a "3400".
      60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

anyone know at all?
        1990 Chevy Beretta Indy
        3.1L Yellow........

Comment

Thanks for the update, however this does not answer my question. I guess I should have specified.... dohc twin cam 60 degree v6.
          Teal Indy
          Yello Indy
          90 STE
          90 GTZ
          90 EURO

Comment

Re: 90 beretta indy, 3400 swap ?'s

Originally posted by yellow90indy
            Hey im gonna be doing the 3400 swap in the near futrue and i was just wondering if anyone knew what im gonna need to mount the engine/tranny, im coming from 3.1mpi/th-125, and going into 3400/4t60e, is this wap even possible ? i have had a couple ppl. tell me it isnt even possible without major mods to the engine bay, and the mounting issue is really worrying me right now
            Yes, it's possible. A custom front mount is needed to mount the engine. I don't know whether or not a 4T60-E will fit in an L body though.

So what transaxle did the 94-96 L bodies use? And with the exception of the subframe, is the rest of the nose the same?

Originally posted by 2manyberettas
            Thanks for the update, however this does not answer my question. I guess I should have specified.... dohc twin cam 60 degree v6.
            That's probably a real pain in the rear. I don't know of anyone with such a swap.
            60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

The 94-96 L bodies used the 4T60E. The mounts in the beretta changed in 92 I believe, so the 90 needs a custom engine mount for the 3400. I don't know about the trans mount. As for the 3.4 DOHC, I've read from many different people that it's too tall due to the heads (or maybe it was too wide?) and as far as I know nobodies ever put one in a beretta. It simply won't fit without a ton of custom work (just what I've read, don't ream me please )

Comment

Oh, no sweat, thanks for the info...I really would love to be the first to do this swap and do it right...I know the brake booster/wiper motor are inhibiting the rear of the bay, and it's a tight fit between those strut towers, but it's gotta work...even if the hood had to be punched out as well.(it doesn't look taller than a standard 3.1 while in the car, maybe the pan drops lower?) Plus, it could be mated with a mg 282...taking up less space as well...oh, heck, guess i'll keep asking until somebody gives up the info...hahaha...need to hear from anyone who has tried it at least...
                thanks
                Teal Indy
                Yello Indy
                90 STE
                90 GTZ
                90 EURO

Comment

Ask Cliff (Cliff892. I am almost positive he has a 3400 in an 89 Beretta. I know he has done a 3400 swap into an older Beretta, just can't remember if it was his 89 or not.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

But it's the 3400 or the 3.4 DOHC that we're talking about here?

Cliff Scott
                    89 BerettaGT
                    89 Volvo740
                    Cliff Scott
                    89 BerettaGT
                    04 AleroGX

Comment

The guy with the Indy wants to do a 3400 (from what I can tell). The other guy was discussing a 3.4DOHC, but I think we pretty much have already relayed that it won't fit in an L-body engine bay.
                      -Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

They both have Indys... the thread starter wants the 3400, the next poster wants the TDC.
                        60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Yeh, we both have INDY's, i'm the lunatic interested in the dohc motor swap...if anyone knows specifics regarding fitment issues, plese email or respond,thanks!
                          Teal Indy
                          Yello Indy
                          90 STE
                          90 GTZ
                          90 EURO

Comment

Working...
                          X