3900 V6 Info also 6spd manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3900 V6 Info also 6spd manual

Ok im looking at swapping to a bigger motor from a 3.1 trying to get some info on the 3900 V6 in the G6. Has anyone worked with these yet. I know its a relatively new motor, just trying to decide if i would be better going with a 3400 or 3500. Main main questions are Does the 3900 have an aluminum block. I plan to build this motor from the ground up and an aluminum block is desirable. Also I have a 5 speed manual now. What 6 speed fwd trans are available? I know the G6 has an available 6 speed, but i havent really seen it available before in a fwd gm car.

The car to be modified is a 1994 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Convertable
    Current setup is a 3.1 MPFI and 5spd Trans, Right now the rough plan is going to a built 3900 60° V6 with turbo's and a 6 spd any input is appreciated
    94 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Convertable
    3.1MPFI 5 Speed
    Undergoing Mods soon

I'd say start here...

And then here...

-Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

the 3500 non VVT is an easier swap, there is even a front mount for the Jbody in the design stages for that specificially. With a few upgrades it'll out-perform that 3900.

there are only 4 running 3500 swapped Jbodies known right now.. and 2-3 more in progress.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

The 3900 is still has the iron block I believe. Also no one that I know of has swapped a 3900 into anything yet. I have one coming but I plan to rewire the car for the g6 equipment since no one has a working solution for the vvt other then locking in the cam phaser at the desired timing, altough Joseph Upson is working on a standalone using a basic stamp I believe.
        98 camaro swapping in lz9 th400 setup
        LZ9 specs: (Subject to Change work in progress)
        4.0L(after bore 3.917 and stroke 3.3485),carrillo sbc rods(narrowed),wiseco custom forged pistons 8.5:1 CR, TCE Double Roller timing chain, gen 3 cam, P&P heads, headers 1 3/4 primaries into 3-1 collector, and going to run ms2.

Comment

Thanks much, gotta do some research i know they made an alum block for these
          3.1MPFI 5 Speed
          Undergoing Mods soon

Comment

There is a GM Performance aluminum block that you can buy for ~$3k. But it won't really support any of the hardware from the 3900. There is also the new 3.6DOHC that is an aluminum block.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
              The 3900 is still has the iron block I believe. Also no one that I know of has swapped a 3900 into anything yet. I have one coming but I plan to rewire the car for the g6 equipment since no one has a working solution for the vvt other then locking in the cam phaser at the desired timing, altough Joseph Upson is working on a standalone using a basic stamp I believe.
              It was also mentioned in the 3900 thread that resizing the pre 3900 cam journals to install non VVT cams is an option. CNCGuy took that route.

Comment

Interesting, though i dont think the 3600 dohc will fit in the engine compartment
                3.1MPFI 5 Speed
                Undergoing Mods soon

Comment

Working...
                X