throttle body size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle body size

does anyone know the difference between a 2000 malibu 3100 throttle body size vs a 96 grand am 3100 throttle body size? any help would be appreciated. thanks

56mm vs 52mm
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Is this for sure Brad? Someone on here told me even the large port 3100 was still 52mm.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Possibly. I thought that when the port size was upgraded, so was the TB size. But, I could be wrong...
        -Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

Me too but someone said other wise... So IDK.
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Large port 3100 should be a 56mm also
            Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
            02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
            www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

the reason i ask this is because i have my small port 3100 engine and trans out of the car.

i was planning on rebuild another 3100 with the big port intake, but i need this car running quick because my other grand am is on it's last legs. very faithful though.

unfortunatley, now that i have the engine and trans out, i've now discovered the lower intke manifold has been pissing oil. so, since i have to pull the intake, i might as well do the swap from now.

the only problem is the 3100 big port upper intake's throttle body looks EXACTLY the same size as my 3100 small port, except the linkages are different. if i didn't know any better, i could pull the small port throttle body and bolt it right to the big port upper intake. everything looks exactly the same except the linkages.

i figured with so may swaps going on someone would know for sure. i have measured them yet, but man they look close.........

Comment

They will bolt up no matter what, so if its a rush rush thing, just put on your old one and figure it out later.
                -Brad-
                sigpic

Comment

i may just have to do that. thanks though........

Comment

Just for clarification, the 2000+ LG8 (3100) engines still received the 52mm TB. I'm quite sure of this, as I once attempted the 3100 big port manifold swap on my '95 Beretta, and noticed they Tb's looked identical as well. So I picked up a 3400 TB just to see.....and you could visually make out the difference

Comment

Yes, my sister's '02 GP with the 3100 had the 52mm TB. The plenum opening is over 56mm however!
                      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Working...
                      X