Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lumina harness for swap, how much more do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina harness for swap, how much more do I need?

This is what I got shipped in from a salvage yard here in Oregon. I requested the engine harness and they offered the engine and dash harness, but then called back saying they couldn't get the dash harness. I ended up paying less than I thought I'd have to, but I got less than I thought I would... The harness ends at these two connectors. I wanted a harness that included the plugs for a 1227727 ECU. I thought those were in the engine bay, I already have the 1227727 and it's marked as coming from a '92 Lumina... So what is the other part of the harness I'm looking for?

'98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

hmmmm, looks like it's not all there. The part of the harness that goes into the plugs you've got circled is what, I believe, ties the ECU to that harness. For my conversion I got the entire engine bay harness including the ECU and both fuse boxes from a 91 Lumina. I cut the harness off at the firewall. That was more than enough to get the job done. The only part I got from under the dash was the ALDL plug and I didn't end up using that. Not sure what you are attempting to do here though so maybe the entire engine bay harness would be unnecessary. I was starting from a carbureted car.

-- Scott

Comment

I was starting from a TBI engine, so similar situation. None of the wiring was really relevant, so I pulled it all. I called the salvage yard again and got the rest of the harness coming.

Comment

Wow, now I have way more than I need. This is going to take some time...

Comment

Get wiring diagrams for both the donor car and your truck and make a plan for incorporating the new wiring harness into the existing one. That's what I did anyway. Yes, it will take a little time but it isn't hard if you plan carefully. For my application, I decided to keep both the underhood fuse boxes from the Lumina since the fuel pump safety wiring and all necessary fuses are already in place. Basically, I cut out everything that wasn't needed (automatic trans wiring for example) and then determined what wires from the Lumina harness needed to be powered with the key-off and those that needed key-on power. There are a few other minor things to consider but that was my approach in a nutshell. I planned, on paper, for a while before starting and spent probably 10-15 hrs total preparing the harness and installing it into my car. Hope this helps.

-- Scott

Comment

I chickened out of this part the last time around and bought a standalone harness. The plus side is that I've already sorted out everything on the Trooper side to get the standalone integrated. The trooper was fuel injected before, just TBI. So I already have some things in place like the fuel pump relays, etc.

I just added the Lumina to my AllData account, their connector views should really help identifying everything on new harness. I'm sure it will look a lot more manageable once I have the unnecessary tranny and dash stuff stripped out.

Comment

Working...
            X