3500 vvt beretta help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 vvt beretta help.

What is all involved in swaping the 3500vvt into a beretta and has anyone ever done it? What vehicles have that engine? I know it would be alot more work.

a few people have done a 3500 swap, haven't heard of anyone doing a 3500 vvt... Personally I'd stick with a standard 3500. More aftermarket available and a lot less headache involved in the swap.
    You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
    ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
    95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

you need the harness and the ecm and the engine. you would need to have a tuner and need to splice some wires....for 24 more hp? not worth it. get a 3500 and get a cam....you will have a faster car anyways
      Mike 60degree addict.
      Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
      sigpic
      65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

oh really thats the only diff is 24hp. ok then, i can pick up a 3500 from a wrecker for $4-500. what about the 3400 dohc?

Comment

how do you know if it's vvt or not? i found this on ebay. is it the non vvt? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
          2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

Comment

That is non-VVT.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

car-parts.com is also good if you want to see if you can find something more local for pickup so you don't have to pay for the shipping. But that one on ebay is a pretty good deal.
              You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
              ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
              95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                That is non-VVT.
                How can you tell for sure?

I'm looking for a 3500 to swap in a '99 Grand AM to replace the 3400 and I want to make sure I get the correct engine.

BTW.... I found a 3500 out of a 2006 Malibu with the transmission still attached. Will that trans work in my GA so I can just do a complete engine/trans swap?

I know I can re-use the exhaust manifold setup off my 3400, but how hard is it to locate the 3500 exhaust crossover pipe and heat shields as most salvage yard motors don't have them?

Thanks in advance....!

Comment

Here are some pics of the 3500 engine:

Comment

two easy ways to tell if a 3500 is VVT or not:

cam phaser sticking out of the timing cover

the UIM has a V shaped notch on the side opposite of the TB

either of those things give away a 3500 motor as VVT.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Another giveaway is the thermostat and upper radiator location location. Instead of being near the TB, they are located near the water pump. Also, no EGR valve.
                      MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                      '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                      http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                      http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
                      X